Help! Aggressive African Dwarf Frog!

1. s

shinbruise New Member Member

I have kept many African dwarf frogs before, but i've never seen something like this.

A couple weeks ago, I went to my LFS hoping to get something small to put in my tank where I keep my feeder fish. I decided on a few African dwarf frogs, and I put them in the tank. (there's also some zebra danios in it) Everything seemed normal until a few days ago when I noticed more and more feeders were going missing, and I couldn't find any corpses/ signs of possible causes. My water parameters were fine, the fish looked healthy, etc. Not until I saw one of my frogs bite at a slow-moving danio did I realize something was up. I have never seen this type of behavior from a dwarf frog, and I am quite shocked. I didn't think much of it until minutes ago when I came home to find a lifeless danio on the substrate of the tank, with a bloody wound near its gills. I knew immediately that this was none other than the work of the frog that had bitten at my fish and eaten all of my feeders.

Is there any reason why such a peaceful species would act this aggressive?

Can this be solved in any way?

Should remove the frog and put in a separate tank to avoid further damage to my fish?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you should never keep ADF with any other fish for a couple of reasons. They will bite at fish with longer fins, and they don’t see well which isn’t good when you need to feed them.

I would remove the frog.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Are you positive it's an African Dwarf frog and not an African Clawed frog? Selling the second as the first has been known to happen.

Or, it's possible you have a frog with a taste for fish. In the literature it says it can happen, although I have never witnessed it personally, despite putting live fry in as a potential food source.

4. OP
    OP
    s

shinbruise New Member Member

Yes, I'm almost certain it's an african dwarf frog.

The latter may be the case, but it's quite odd behavior.

5. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

send him to me, he sounds like a real fun guy to be around.

sorry about your fishies. yes, i'd remove him from the tank unless you want him to continue.