Help! - African Dwarf Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by kittykat0725, Aug 10, 2014.

1. kittykat0725

kittykat0725 Valued Member Member

Good Morning Fishlore! - So this morning I noticed that my african dwarf frog looks very skinny. It doesnt seem like he has been touching his food because whenever i put it near him he acts like he doesnt want it. His food is Zoo Med Aquatic Frog and Tadpole Food, they are green pelets that I put on the bottom. This is my second african dwarf frog and the first one loved that food. Should I switch food? The temp in the tank is about 78, he is with a male betta (and the betta has never been agressive to him), it has a filter, 15 watt light, heater, and many caves. The tank has been set up for about two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi kittykat :)

How long have you had him? Has he eaten this food before?
    Try a frozen food. Mine love brine shrimp.

(just want to check, is the tank cycled?)

3. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

Yes the tank is cycled, I used tetra safestart when I started it and it had been a few months. I have had him for about two weeks. And I have never seen him acually eat because it is really hard to tell because the gravel is like black, but I normally take out alot of old frog food on the bottom weekly.

4. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

Will frozen brine shrimp sink?

5. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

And how much is it? Also would be frozen bloodworms good too? I have freeze dried but they float. Oh here he is:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407693579.369687.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407693617.777132.jpg

6. Lucy

Freeze dried can cause bloat or blockages.

Frozen brine shrimp sinks but it is also light and can get blown around by the filter.
    Most likely the betta will go after any frozen foods. Feeding a frog that is with any fish can be tricky.
    Sometimes they are slow to find food before the fish get it.

Try to spot feed him with something like this:

Frogbreeder has other food recommendations here:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/144-care-sheet-african-dwarf-frogs.html

The ADF's I had a few years go liked the frog and tadpole pellets along with frozen blood worms. My group now won't touch the pellets.

Hopefully this is just a food issue and not a health issue.

I moved the thread to the amphibians section of the forum. Other members keep African Dwarf Frogs. They'll probably see this and give their input as well.

7. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

Thank you for all the help

8. 77Impala

77Impala Well Known Member Member

I also use tweezers to feed my ADF's frozen blood worms.

9. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

I agree with Lucy in that feeding a frog with any fish is difficult. I would try a different food and use a turkey baster or tweezers to get it near the little guy! Good luck!

10. Jancy

Jancy Valued Member Member

Using tweezers to feed should be round, blunt tips or plastic. I would not use regular tweezers. Adfs lunge at their food and have poor eye site. Some tweezers are sharp and can easily hurt the frogs. Reptile tongs are great for feeding and the tips are rounded. Approx 10.00 at pet store and are 10 inches long. I find them very easy to use and safer than regular tweezers.

11. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

Thanks for all the help guys, i got frozen bloodworms and thawed them out gave him two in my hand, and he them as soon as i gave them him. (i distracted my betta) How many of the blood worms should i give him every day?

12. 77Impala

77Impala Well Known Member Member

I give them blood worms no more than once a week. I try to make them eat more of the frog pellets which is more nutritious for them.

13. Lucy

Just a few, until his belly look a little full but not bloated.
    When I fed primarily blood worms I think it was 4 or 5.

It's great to hear he ate!

14. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

yeah his stomoch looks normal now after 3 worms. I will slowly feed him a little more. It looks like he will soon have a clean bill of health. Thank you all so much, without you all he probably would still be starving or died.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice