Help!! African cichlids

1. d

dance200 New Member Member

My fish keep dying and i have no idea what to do. my water has been tested by a cichlid specility store and all is good. I do not see any noticiable sign of disease. My fish are not being attacked either.

2. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

i see your new here, so welcome to fishlore you will find this site to be more than helpful. and with that, i have to ask. did you cycle your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    d

The tank has been set up for a month.

I'm from the STL area as well!

4. OP
    OP
    d

Help me..Fish dying

I can not see any noticable disease on the fish. all are swimming actively. I've had my water tested at a cichlid speciality store and all is good. What could be happening and what can i do?

5. S

6. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Did the store actually give you the numbers or just say everything was good? Many stores will say things are "good" meaning they aren't it the lethal level when in actuality the levels are still dangerous for the fish. I'd recommend getting an API Master Test kit and testing the water yourself following the instructions carefully. Are they eating normally or dong something like clamping their fins? What type of fish are dying on you? How long has your tank been set up?

7. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello and :sign0016: to FishLore.

Well, here are a few things you can check to see why your fish are dying. But before you do, please fill in your aquarium information (tank size, type of fish, water conditioner used, etc.). That information will help us help you, and plus you will only have to enter it once.

OK, first, did you condition the water before you put the fish in? You need to use a water conditioner that removes heavy metals and detoxifies ammonia, which is deadly to fish. Many of us use a conditioner called Prime, manufactured by Seachem.

Second, what is your water chemistry like? As above, the fish store said the water was "good." But only the numbers will help us here. So, test for the Big Three: Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. If you don't have a Freshwater Master Test Kit, ask your store to give you specific numbers (not just a reading on a test strip).

Next, how big is your tank and what type of fish are in it? Also, how long has your tank been set up?

This information will help us pin down what might be going on with your fish.

Keep us posted!

8. S

good advice above, and as i stated in your other thread

9. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome Dance200 to the Forum. If you could get us the additional information, we can help you better.

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Your threads have been merged.
    It'll be easier for you to keep track of what's being advised.

Good luck!

11. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Did you read the article on the nitrogen cycle?

When was this tank setup? If its fairly new then your fish can be dying from the cycling process - ammonia and nitrite are toxic. Edit: Ah, it's been setup for a month, so the tank is cycling. Are you using any bacterial additives?

Did the store give you the readings? "Good" can mean anything.

The best thing you can do when things are not right is do a 50% water change with your water conditioner. You can't beat fresh clean water. Pickup a bottle of Seachem Prime water conditioner. This detoxes toxins for 24 hours until next water change.

I highly recommend that you purchase your own test kit, preferably liquid like the API Master Test kit. No strips please.

Edit: Continue with daily water changes with Prime. A cycled tank is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and less then 20 nitrate. It can take 6 weeks or more to cycle.