Help! Advice and Idification of problem needed!

mika

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think I should start with the background of this tank. For over a year I had a healthy happy tank until I went on holiday with a friend acting as pet sitter. When I got back my fish were so far gone I had no clue what could have happened to them. So, After They passed on to the big tank in the sky. I waited a few weeks before deciding that it may be safe to get new fish. I went out a bought two small gold fish -- one is just over half an inch.

All my tank perambulators were looking good until the smaller black moor got himself stuck under the bog log... I'm still not sure how he managed it. He ended up with some white looking scratch to I did a 25% water change and added some melafix then waited.

This morning things looked very much the same but when I got home from work, about ten hours later things looked a lot worse.

So, I did another 25% water change and dug out the aquarium salt. and put in a round tablespoon for every 5 gals.

I have noticed a major improvement from when I came home today after I added the salt but I am worried now that maybe they have Columnaris by the white coloration that both of the fish have right now. It doesn't look cottony but I've never had a fish that has had Columnaris.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong and what can I do to help fix it.

Attachments

Last edited:

mika

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Ken!
I was looking at the webpage last night before making my post.
I didn't want to start adding different medications to my already stressed out fish just in case I was wrong in what I was thinking it is. I do believe it is some type of fungus at least that the black moor has.

I'll keep surfing the web hopefully I'll come to some type of decision before i have to head home from work.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He could have a light fungus infection where his protective slime rubbed off from getting stuck in the log.

Since you have added salt already, I suggest that you keep your water parameters perfect and keep up regular water changes and he will be ok, as the other should too.

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Ted. You've taken a good course of action, now work on keeping the water in good condition. In a future you may like to look into PimaFix to have on hand along with MelaFix. PimaFix can help hinder bacterial AND fungal infections from spreading. A combination of MelaFix and PimaFix is a good first aid treatment in a case like this, I think. I hope your goldies get better soon--they are so very cute!

mika

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and do my best with these guys -- someone on another forum recommended that I may need to treat the fish with some sort of stronger fungus medicine does anyone have any advice on what i should use seeing as there is already Melafix in the tank?

I want to pick some up on my way home from work as I bus and it can take a while to get anywhere. I'd rather have something on hand in case they are doing worse then yesterday when I get home from work. I'd much rather be able to just return or store the extra medication if I don't need it in the long run.

Thanks!

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really can't tell you what the problem is, only that you might consider raising the temperature as well. Goldfish are really hardy and as long as you raise the temp slowly and provide plenty of aeration you can get them up to the lower 90s. That will kill or at least maim the fungus, and make the goldfish's own natural defenses work faster.

Cute ranchus. I was looking for the top fin and then I suddenly realized they weren't fantails!

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have any charcoal in your filter you'll probably want to remove it when treating. I've heard that the charcoal can absorb the meds., so they don't work IMO.(heard from a mod. on this site)

mika

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you guys.

Justin, yes I did remove the carbon as soon as I started the medication. I learned the hard way about the a year or so go. Thanks for the idea just in case though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom