1 Gallon Tank Help! ADF Tadpole Hatching Tomorrow

OiFisho

I have two ADFs and they have "hugged". Google says tomorrow the eggs should hatch tomorrow, and I feel like I'm not prepared. I have a bowl set up (not sure how many gallons, but small) for them and I don't know what I should do to make them not die. Of course I'm not using the bowl as a permanent home for anyone who's getting angry, but I know I can't get a filter, and I'm running out of time to get a heater, any advice on food or really anything on caretaking for them would be appreciated. They've had tadpoles before, and my fish massacred them like they do every time I get shrimp, so keep them in the tank is not an option. So far my plan is to get shrimp for the bowl to clean it up, plant it, and get fry food.
Also, I know the gravel's ugly it was the only thing around tho

Attachments

• 20210830_162821.jpg
    20210830_162821.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 20

BlackOsprey

Get a breeder net/box, put it in the tank, put tadpoles in the breeder net/box. It's a temporary solution until you can get a new tank and it's probably better than a fishbowl. You can buy breeder nets/boxes at any big box pet store.

OiFisho

Get a breeder net/box, put it in the tank, put tadpoles in the breeder net/box. It's a temporary solution until you can get a new tank and it's probably better than a fishbowl. You can buy breeder nets/boxes at any big box pet store.
I feel like a breeder net is not an option. I'm broke right now so I'm avoiding spending as much as possible. If the size of the bowl is what your worried about with tadpoles, don't because the size of the tadpoles is less than a half inch. To be exact 0.14 inches. Plus, as soon as they get big enough, they're out of the bowl.

Lucy

Congrats!
Be prepared for a time consuming but rewarding experience.
Here's the best guide around
ADF Tadpole Development | Amphibian Forum | 96366

I had a pretty simple set up for my tads.
pictures here:
I've got ADF tadpoles and more! | Amphibian Forum | 163144

What size tank do you have?
Get a tupperware or plastic container and float it in your main tank.
Add some live plants. The tads will consume the egg sack then micro organisms from the plants so that will buy you time.
Start an infusoria culture (lettuce in tank water in a clear container placed in the sun to make green water) and be prepared with live baby brine shrimp (see first link for the 3 stages of feeding)
They will feed from the top, mid tank and bottom at different stages.

Floating the container and doing daily water changes with the existing tank water will help keep the temperature consistent avoid a heater or filter for a while.

MasterPython

Decide how many you want now. I raised about 30 of them until their tails reabsorbed in margarine tubs then all but 4 died of dropsy in the grow out tank. If I had culled at least 1/3 I think the outcome would have been much better because the water would have stayed cleaner.

Lucy

How are things going?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views