Help! ADF is being a big bully!

1. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

Hi everyone, so I need some help.. There has been unacceptable recent behavior on the part of a Mister Ben. I have two ADF frogs (Ben and Dover). Ben is substantially bigger than Dover and it's always been like that for the past few years. I figured that Dover was getting skinny because Ben has been a little piggy and eats all the food before Dover can get any. But when I tried to just give food to Dover via long tweezers, Ben becomes violent and attacks his brother. Even if I feed both via tweezers, any attention I give to Dover equates to Ben biting Dover.

I've read the care guide for ADFs and it states that ADFs usually aren't aggressive at all but it's so scary when it happens. Ben wont let go for like 2 or 3 seconds while Dover struggles to get out of his mouth. I'm scared because Ben is much stronger and can fit Dover's mid-side in his jaws.

I've seen this behavior go down every single time I feed them with tweezers. But I can't just let Dover starve by letting Ben eat all of the food if I just give them a free-for-all.

I don't know what to do. There is a pet store that will take Ben and give him a new home but I'd be sad to see him go. Is there any to remedy the situation? I can put him in a time-out tank but they're social creatures and I wouldn't want both of them to be lonely. I think I'd also be hard pressed to find a frog that could be Ben's buddy because he's so big and will suck up any food that comes his way. Any advice?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank? Can you divide it?

3. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

It's 5 gallons. Are there dividers I could buy?

4. octavio Member Member

Yes, there are dividers available. But for the same price, you can buy another 5 gallon tank.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi theicechinchilla
    My frogs do that sometimes as well. You are right, it is scary and upsetting. I don't view it as aggression. Just one grabbing for food but ooops! Grabbed a tank mate instead.
    Rather than separating them maybe get a plastic mesh craft sheet to keep them separate during feeding time only.

6. marijo Well Known Member Member

Hello theicechinchilla

My frogs do fight once in a while when it's feeding time but not always. Maybe try to put food at opposite corners of the tank, it might give time for dover to eat. Do you know if they are male, female? Females are usually a bit bigger than males and my females are usually the first ones to rush to come out for food !