Help! Acclimating Snails

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always put the paper towel in a bowl and drip my tank water slowly for maybe 30-50 minutes, after there’s enough water to cover him. Some people just plop them in.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I placed the mystery snail in a small plastic container (a washed yoghurt pot would do) and floated it in the aquarium. I used a dropper to gradually drip some water into the container over a period on an hour. I then tipped the container into the aquarium.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I put him in and he hasn’t come out. It’s been around five minutes. Is this normal?

Also, half of his shell is clear and kinda chipped. Should I be worried?
Image1527190857.875376.jpg

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mystery snails arent as hardy as they seem, water perams can be very damaging to them, even NITRATES. as long as the tank is cycled (well established) it should be just fine

emmysjj said:
I put him in and he hasn’t come out. It’s been around five minutes. Is this normal?

View attachment 440924
it can take some days for them to adjust, his shell looks a bit rough but its nothing to worry about. give him time, hard water, and alot of calcium ( calcium rich food or cuttle bone)

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
emmysjj said:

View attachment 440924
He will likely hide for awhile (shut door) until he realizes it’s safe. He looks ok, as long as you parameters are good.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They can take a while to come out of their shell (Haha!) it may take a few days for your new tank inhabitant to acclimatise. Also new shell growth can be thin and britle, providing you have enough hardness in your water (or you provide enough calcium in the tank) the shell should harden.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the clearness is most likely new shell growth but he wasnt getting enough calcium to make it strong. mine were very healthy and came out immediatly once placed in tank. but the water matters for these snails. they arent hardy like the pest snails we cant get ridd of

his shell doesnt look bad, just that one chip i beleive to be new growth. disreguard the comment i made about water, as i read your tank is cycled lol, so i waould say its smooth sailing from here

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks everyone!

I'm going to put some cuttlebone in there now. If he comes out later, should I try to give him food? Right now I have shrimp pellets and algae pellets for my other mystery, and I'll try to get cucumber/spinach tommorrow. Should I attempt to lure him out using food? If no, could I try again later?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you an sure try. if it doesnt work try again later. the food you have in there now should b good for the day/night. but you can try giving him something more disirable like veggies.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He’s so clumsy, he just started moving, and he keeps falling lol

Jessica J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How much cuttlebone do u use for mystery snails? I have 2 in a 20g with some platys and guppy will the cuttlebone harm my fish? Is it the thing that the birds use or is it different? Just ordered 4 more a purple,blue,white and chestnut just want to make sure they are gonna get enough calcium

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a ten gallon with my snail and 3 Endlers. I use half of a piece for it (Same in my other ten gallon) and my fish are fine. Yes, I use the one for birds. Your fish will be fine

Jessica J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emmysjj said:
I have a ten gallon with my snail and 3 Endlers. I use half of a piece for it (Same in my other ten gallon) and my fish are fine. Yes, I use the one for birds. Your fish will be fine
Thanks for the advice just bought some today and some more gravel.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom