Help A Snail Noob Out?

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
UJiQjwH.jpg

YiWWstw.jpg

These guys came in with our latest guppy shipment, and I was instructed to "just leave them alone", so I did. I kinda have to start paying attention to them though, because we now have a ton of them, and they're getting these white streaks that I didn't notice before. I'm not very experienced with snails, so... Questions:

1) These are ramshorn, yes?
2) I'm guessing the white stripes mean they are calcium deficient?
3) Should I be feeding them? They're living off of flake debris right now, but I try not to overfeed in the first place, and while they are multiplying, some are also trying to exit the tank so I'm worried I may be starving them.
4) Ethical issues aside (I have a whole Board to deliberate on that for me), can I feed the "extras" to convict cichlids or marmorkrebs?

Thanks, snail experts!

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Biev said:
View attachment 434753
View attachment 434754

These guys came in with our latest guppy shipment, and I was instructed to "just leave them alone", so I did. I kinda have to start paying attention to them though, because we now have a ton of them, and they're getting these white streaks that I didn't notice before. I'm not very experienced with snails, so... Questions:

1) These are ramshorn, yes?
2) I'm guessing the white stripes mean they are calcium deficient?
3) Should I be feeding them? They're living off of flake debris right now, but I try not to overfeed in the first place, and while they are multiplying, some are also trying to exit the tank so I'm worried I may be starving them.
4) Ethical issues aside (I have a whole Board to deliberate on that for me), can I feed the "extras" to convict cichlids or marmorkrebs?

Thanks, snail experts!
They look like common pest snails to me, they infested my tank prior to me having loaches. Ramshorns are very similar they just get bigger (approx. 4cm) but they're often treated like pests. Really any R-selected snail species (ones that produce hundreds of offspring in a very short period of time and will breach carrying capacity in a relatively short period) are pests to most people because they're near impossible to keep under control. Personally, I despise them, but some people like them. I think they're gross when they get to the point where there's one or more in every 3 inch radius of the tank. Everything @Pictusboss said is accurate in terms of the calcium deficiency but these snails will do better than good on flake bits alone IMO and IME. I swear they can survive anything short of a loach physically sucking them out of their shells. You can definitely help their cause by feeding them food and calcium. THEY LOVE VEGGIES. Some cucumber slices will get swarmed as fast as they can crawl. I used to use cucumber slices to bait and trap the little suckers.
In regards to feeding the convicts, they are little piggies. If it fits, its dinner. I'm sure they would appreciate some escargot. Additionally, these snails have pretty thin shells and are a great source of minerals for the marmorkrebs, so if you want to drop extras in with the marbled crayfish, I'm sure they'd appreciate your gifts as well.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My LFS wants them for his puffer customers. Maybe you find someone who likes to take the .
A few are great, theyvare Fu. To watch and take care of old plant parts, etc. If the population exploded, you are probably feeding too much.

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it weren't for the calcium deficiency, I'd drop some off at my LFS - I'm sure they would at least take the red ones off my hands. It took me a while to build a good reputation as a seller, so I'm not about to bring them animals with physical damage.

I got a hard no from my boss on purchasing food specifically for these guys, but I have Northfin algae pellets which are calcium-enriched. The pellets morph into big katamari balls of snails the moment I drop them in, so they sure seem to be appreciative. I'm pretty sure they also snatch up all the Repashy Spawn n' Grow before the fish can get to it, so that's another calcium source. Hopefully this will be enough... I'm not allowed to bring fresh veggies or anything perishable into the labs.

I raised KH to 4 and GH to 8, will this be enough? I meant to raise it for the guppies anyway - I'm supposed to keep KH between 4 to 8 and GH between 4 to 12, but it's hard to keep stable when we're not using substrate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom