Help Help a newbie out.

Tropicalnewbie

Reaction score
So I am currently attempting a fishless cycle on my new tank (pray for me) and I thought it would be a good time to plan out what fish to stock it with when it's up and running (obviously not all at once).

I used a few calculators online to try and figure out what levels but I guess I wanted some real opinions rather than an estimator. So my tank is 54 litres (around 15 gallons I think?), 60cm across with an internal filter. I was hoping to fit in 6 cardinal tetras, 2 honey gourami, 4 five band barbs, 2 otocinclus and 2 male guppys. Will they all get on? Is that too many fish? What order would be best to put them in the tank?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you! I'm excited to get started keeping fish.

Livebearer08

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That seems to me like a bit too many fish. Especially for a tank just bring cycled. The otos should be kept in large groups so 2 of them would die. I would also ditch the barbs. I would say 3 guppies, 2 gouramis, and 6 otos, or maybe corydoras, as otos are usually wild caught and can die easily.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A fishless cycle is going to take roughly a month. Ottos should be introduced when the tank is really established. Maybe 6 mos? I would go with the Honeys and Guppies and go from there when you know how your tank is going to do.

OP
T

Tropicalnewbie

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice everyone. Looks like I need to take another look at how many fish I will eventually get. It's just so confusing trying to figure it all out!

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those calculators usually go for established tanks unless there is an option to click cycled, uncycled or to put the age of your tank but if that was the case, it would most likely recommend certain fish to use after its "cycled". I put that in parentheses because once you introduce new fish, your bacteria still have to get used to the added bioload and sometimes a tank isn't really fully cycled. You can still have spikes and mini cycles, crashes, etc. In a brand new tank, even after its cycled which takes anywhere from weeks to most commonly in reality months, I'd stick to some easy to care for durable fish and a low to medium bioload that you can handle with water changes and tests with no overstocking on the # of fish. You can always get a bigger tank or a second tank down the road and get the fish you want once you have a better understanding of aquarium keep and go through the whole trial and error of your current tank. Is this your first tank or just a new tank? Also what are you using to test your water? And what did you use to treat your water and even though it is a fishless cycle, are you introducing ammonia and bacteria to it, or using fish food or which method of fishless cycling are you using?

OP
T

Tropicalnewbie

Reaction score
It's my first first tank or first tank for a very long time! I used to keep fish when I was young. I have some ammonia test strips and tetra 6 in 1 test strips to monitor nitrates and nitrite, pH, etc..... I used tetra aquasafe water conditioner to treat it, and I am using fish food (in the end of a pair of tights so it is easier to clean once the cycle has finished) with some "easystart" bacteria.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tropicalnewbie said:
It's my first first tank or first tank for a very long time! I used to keep fish when I was young. I have some ammonia test strips and tetra 6 in 1 test strips to monitor nitrates and nitrite, pH, etc..... I used tetra aquasafe water conditioner to treat it, and I am using fish food (in the end of a pair of tights so it is easier to clean once the cycle has finished) with some "easystart" bacteria.

I'm probably gonna sound like a broken record and a seachem (cost effective products) fanboy and you don't have to take my word for it but I would research investing into seachem prime (water conditioner), seachem stability (bacteria), and API master test kit (lasts a LONG time and is dropper and vial based) that measures Ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Just be mindful that you can get false positives with treated water so while you can rely on the test results, just be mindful to test a bit further into the cycle after the water "settles" to see if your levels remain the same as to what a "cycled" tank should be which is commonly no ammonia no nitrites and low nitrates, as I'm sure you already know.

But if we were to stay with what you have now, what are the test strips reading so far or did you literally just set the tank up the other day.

Also what substrate are you planning to use and are you going for live or fake plants?

Lindsay83

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tropicalnewbie said:
Most on here will advise you to get bottled ammonia, but as long as you have a fistful of fish food in the tank, then you're fine. Leave it in there until ammonia reads between 2 and 4ppm, then whip it out, throw it out, let ammonia fall, while testing for ammonia and nitrite, and replace the ammonia with a fresh ball.

I second getting a liquid test kit -, either API or NT Labs. But as long as you use dechlorinator, there's no need, IMHO, for Prime or Stability.

OP
T

Tropicalnewbie

Reaction score
Thanks. I will look into them! I literally only set it up two days ago, so am hoping to get the initial ammonia spike over the next day or so. I'm using gravel and a mixture of live and fake plants. I've gone for java moss and marimo moss balls for the live plants as from what I could find they are good for beginners!

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A calculator I've used in the past is:

This is the freshwater calculator. If you ever need a saltwater one you can change it at the top

Tropicalnewbie said:
Thanks. I will look into them! I literally only set it up two days ago, so am hoping to get the initial ammonia spike over the next day or so. I'm using gravel and a mixture of live and fake plants. I've gone for java moss and marimo moss balls for the live plants as from what I could find they are good for beginners!
Also, I've just recently added live plants also and ordered a mixture of floaters as well, hopefully my fish don't devour them all but I put pothos plants in my tank just a few hours ago and I'm liking the look. The delivery of the floaters is taking longer than expected because of all the nonsense going on. Let me know how your cycle goes and once it's up and running, let's get some pictures! Good luck with your tank also, its always exciting setting up a new tank.

OP
T

Tropicalnewbie

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help and being so welcoming! I will keep you updated.

Catfist

Reaction score
Tropicalnewbie said:
So I am currently attempting a fishless cycle on my new tank (pray for me) and I thought it would be a good time to plan out what fish to stock it with when it's up and running (obviously not all at once).

I used a few calculators online to try and figure out what levels but I guess I wanted some real opinions rather than an estimator. So my tank is 54 litres (around 15 gallons I think?), 60cm across with an internal filter. I was hoping to fit in 6 cardinal tetras, 2 honey gourami, 4 five band barbs, 2 otocinclus and 2 male guppys. Will they all get on? Is that too many fish? What order would be best to put them in the tank?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you! I'm excited to get started keeping fish.
I’m going to take a swing on this one ok. Considering that tetras and barbs are nippers they will go after your guppies and honey gourami , H,G. Are slow swimmers and Guppies are colorful barbs and tetras will eventually kill them. and to determine the amount of fish you want think about one inch per gallon but with community fish I usually consider two inch per gallon. Some experts may say I’m wrong about that but I like a lot of fish. You say you doing a fish less cycle to do that you will need to use chemicals like quick start or something like that. and don’t forget the aqua salt. To this day people still don’t believe we use salt in our aquarium. I hope this helps you some and good luck.

New Threads