Help, A Fish Died :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Z123Killer, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

Today I woke up to discover one that of my 10 neon tetras dead laying on the bottom of the tank. And I don't really know what was the cause of death, the qt wasn't cycled but, I didn't 50% water changes every day and dosed Prime every day as well. I also tested the ammonia yesterday just to be sure and it was below .5 ppm. So what is the cause of death?

2. ajgravedigger13Valued MemberMember

Could be anything

3. Will170Valued MemberMember

How long have you had the tetras?

4. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

Today is their 13th day in qt

5. OP
    OP
    Z

I know but I just want to make sure that are the others are safe

6. Adam Alston

Adam AlstonNew MemberMember

Sorry for your loss. Test the nitrites and nitrates in the water as well, there not as toxic but a spike could potentially hurt your fish. Overfeeding can cause death, stress, or maybe his life cycle was ready to end.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok, I will test and update you with the result.
    I did feed 2 times a day about 2 small pinches, some food would lay on the bottom but they come back to it later and finish everything off. He was there with 9 other neons and an endler/feeder guppy and there aren't many hiding spaces, so maybe stress? And could it be possible that he was too old? My LFS gets fish every Tuesday....

Oh and one more thing, I will be doing a %75 water change on the main aquarium today and treat with PraziPro because some fish in the main aquarium have internal parasties, should I just transfer the neons over to the main aquarium?

8. Adam Alston

It is possible that it was old age, but too much food can cause a spike in NH4, NO3, and NO2, so just wait for your results on your water. Your fish should only be eating as much as they can consume in 30 seconds. If there are still some flakes left over after 30 seconds, then you are over feeding. For stress, buy some bridges or rocks they can hide under an if you have a light for you tank, don't have it on for more than 8 hours a day. I would recommend not moving your neons over until you have successfully treated the internal parasites in the main tank.

9. OP
    OP
    Z

I tested Nitrate and it's between 5-10, so the water is not the problem.

10. Adam Alston

Then he was either stressed or was old age, either way you shouldn't worry about it, its just who the fish was. Again, sorry for your loss.

11. OP
    OP
    Z

Thanks, welcome to Fishlore by the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice