40 Gallon Tank HELP! 40 gallon tank in bad shape all of the sudden

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
video explains it all... notes...

i checked the exact size of my tank on a website and it is a 40gallon, NOT a 45.
Also this tank has been running for a year and a half and the filter that was in the tank in the video for 2 years.... Thanks for any help! :;z

~binskiboi

EDIT: the oscar (diablo) is currently 7", he is a tiger.
I have been feeding him cichlid excel medium sized pellets.

Fish HAVE started swimming fine again after the video but still go back to the "im dying" position.... Maybe they are just still in shock from being moved...maybe im over-reacting, but I really can't stand to think they are dying!

also should I take out the gourami now or see how things go?

Last edited by a moderator:

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
when you moved them, was the water temp the same? Our fish had done that when the water temp was a significant difference. Have you checked you parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?

When you say they moved, did you swap them from tank to tank or physically move the tank?

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
when you moved them, was the water temp the same? Our fish had done that when the water temp was a significant difference. Have you checked you parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?

When you say they moved, did you swap them from tank to tank or physically move the tank?
I let the oscar sit in a bag of its old water for 20 minutes, then put a cup of the new water in the bag and let it sit for 10 more minutes. then i had to pick the oscar by hand (too big for my nets) and straight into the tank. (only took 2 seconds or though to swap from bag to tank.) I did the same for the rope fish.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that isnt normal for an oscar a bit...except at night they will lay on their sides....its either a huge ph change, or the ammonia is really effecting him..that filter cant handle his bioload and im going to think its ammonia ....I would get some prime or amquel+ and do daily water changes to keep them safe....and invest in your own kit so you dont have to rely on the store (which most use strips that arent reliable) especially an oscar in a 40g with that small of a filter and the nitrates are only 10 with an oscar that size and a pleco....good luck!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen them do that from a PH jump also, what is your PH and what is the LFS PH in their tanks?

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
that isnt normal for an oscar a bit...except at night they will lay on their sides....its either a huge ph change, or the ammonia is really effecting him..that filter cant handle his bioload and im going to think its ammonia ....I would get some prime or amquel+ and do daily water changes to keep them safe....and invest in your own kit so you dont have to rely on the store (which most use strips that arent reliable) especially an oscar in a 40g with that small of a filter and the nitrates are only 10 with an oscar that size and a pleco....good luck!
will it help to have 2 30 gallon filters in there?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
will it help to have 2 30 gallon filters in there?
most deff the more the better....but id get your own kit to always know where the tank stands so you know how much/often water changes are going to be needed....id also get a black background or that natural light from the window, is going to give you massive algae

EDIT" if he was feeling better, he would be all over that gourami and rope fish, so id move them as soon as you can

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
most deff the more the better....but id get your own kit to always know where the tank stands so you know how much/often water changes are going to be needed....id also get a black background or that natural light from the window, is going to give you massive algae

EDIT" if he was feeling better, he would be all over that gourami and rope fish, so id move them as soon as you can
oh really even the rope fish? alright ill move them to the 10 gallon until i can figure something out with them...probably give them back to a fish warehouse...could you recommend me a good testing kit and its price if you know it?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
api makes a master liquid test kit that has everything you need and will do 100s of tests...its a GREAT investment for every fish keeper IMO ...and very accurate ......shop around to compare prices.... I know I get great prices and most of my stuff from

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
API master test kit is the one I have and many others do to. Im not sure how much it is over there, but it was $55 over here in Australia! But im sure it will be sooooo much cheaper over there.

edit: wow beat me to it!

Last edited:

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks alot everyone! ill be getting 2 30 gallons (maybe more) filters, moving my rope and gourami....and getting a test kit! thanks!
~binskiboi

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
check this out. Looking at the reviews, and the pictures, it looks identical to the API kit for half the cost in the LFS. Even the instruction book looks the same. I'll definitely be getting one of these soon, as my current kit is running low on ammonia/nitrate tests lol.

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just had petland check my water conditions...i also bought a kit and RE-checked it myself (api kit).... EVERYTHINGS PERFECT!!!!!!! WTHECK!!!!

Aquarium

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fyi. an oscar needs a bare minimum of 75 gallons to itself. they cant live in a 40. they can reach 2 feet.

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey Aquarium for your FYI an oscar max size is 13" your about 11" off look up the profile before you give false info.And I am sure an oscar can "live" in a 40 if he is 7" for awhile even if its not ideal.The people above are just trying to help the guy stabalize his tank and address his questions.Just sayin.

Aquarium

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A general size of oscars is 13-14". However some behemoth's have gotten to 2 feet. Which is why I say maximum size as it always depends on the individual. A 40 gallon should be used for oscar growout tanks and they should be in a permanent 75 gallon by the time they reach 6"

Sorry to burst your bubble here. but I dont consider me 11" off. because I stated the max size. It ALL depends on the individual.

Eg. some female platy's stay at like. 1.5" some older ones can reach up to 3".

Same with oscars. Some stay at about 14" and can potentially reach up to 2' after a while.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Please don't be rude in your responses. It's fine to disagree, but do so politely.

Please also check the date of the thread. It's about a month old and the OP has not returned.

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UPDATE: gave the oscars back to the store. Decided to just completely recycle the tank. month later and all is well. also decided to go with a sand substrate! I love it! I'll be posting a vid soon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom