Help 3 gallon cherry/orange shrimp tank

paige4706

need as much help as i can get

i have a 3 gallon shrimp tank my ammonia levels went up w 2 ppm as well and nitrate at 2ppm and nitrite at 30ppm not sure why it did this with in a week of adding the shrimp only into the tank

but i did a 50% water change and then a 30% again today well when he did the 30% he forgot to add the dechlorinator to the 1 gallon he added back into the tank is this going to kill the baby shrimp and the adults

they had the babies in the tank 3 days ago she gave birth to the last few yesterday when i did the 50% change

BigManAquatics

If it hasnt been long should be able to put enough declorintor in to treat the whole tank

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Are you trying to cycle the tank with the shrimp in it?
On the dechlorinator: I made the same mistake with a %20 water change on a 5gal. Within 20 minutes, shrimp were in spasms on their backs. I immediately added dechlorinator to the tank and it took a few days for all the shrimp to recover. I’ve linked the thread relating to that incident below. Just add dechlor, do not try to do anything extra that will further stress them. I just narrowly avoided disaster (dechlorinator) | Cherry Shrimp Forum | 487330

As for the current situation, I would advise against trying to cycle a tank with shrimp in it as they rely on biofilm from established tanks to support a healthy diet and as invertebrates lack protection to toxins in the water. Once the shrimp recover from the chlorine poisoning, keep doing small water changes to keep ammonia down or move them out of the tank if possible.

Upvote 0

paige4706

If it hasnt been long should be able to put enough declorintor in to treat the whole tank
thank you also it was done at about 12 ill be home at about 5 i will go home and treat tank for sure!!!

i was just worried about my baby shrimp (just born) with the ammonia and stuff being at the level it was yesterday so i wanted to get as much out as i could
Are you trying to cycle the tank with the shrimp in it?
On the dechlorinator: I made the same mistake with a %20 water change on a 5gal. Within 20 minutes, shrimp were in spasms on their backs. I immediately added dechlorinator to the tank and it took a few days for all the shrimp to recover. I’ve linked the thread relating to that incident below. Just add dechlor, do not try to do anything extra that will further stress them. I just narrowly avoided disaster (dechlorinator) | Cherry Shrimp Forum | 487330

As for the current situation, I would advise against trying to cycle a tank with shrimp in it as they rely on biofilm from established tanks to support a healthy diet and as invertebrates lack protection to toxins in the water. Once the shrimp recover from the chlorine poisoning, keep doing small water changes to keep ammonia down or move them out of the tank if possible.

it happened around 12 ill be home at about 5 i will go home and treat tank for sure!!!
no i wasnt cycling its been done with that

im scared he killed my shrimp bc i cant get there fast enough with being at work to take care of the issue im sure he killed the babys that just came out

i have a 29 gallon i can out them in but i cant see the babies to get them out also i have only cory cats in the 29 gallon as of right now

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Keeping plenty of shrimp myself, I can offer my insight to keeping them as well. First and foremost, I agree with what Crimson_687 said. I would just add the dechlorinator to the tank to reduce the stress levels in the shrimp. They are very delicate creatures, moreso than even fish so stressing them out by moving them to a different tank will do much more harm than good in my opinion. There are a few other things to note when keeping shrimp that you may want to consider as well;

1. Shrimp will do much better in established tanks with plenty of biofilm for them to graze on. This is a primary food source for shrimp and will ensure that they show you their best colors. So next time you get some shrimp, make sure that the tank in question is not only cycled but mature as well. Live plants will aid greatly in this process (talk more about that below).

2. Larger tanks such as a 5 or 10 gallon will be better for keeping shrimp especially if you are a beginner. Not only will you be able to house more of them efficiently as Neocardinia are prone to producing a lot of offspring at a rapid rate quite easily, but having the larger tank will allow you to keep your water parameters much more stable from ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes. A 3 gallon tank is very small in water volume. If you re a beginner, it will be very difficult keeping stable parameters that are needed by the shrimp, stressing them out and possibly causing premature death as well.

3. Live Plants. This concept can be very daunting for a beginner. Luckily, your friends here on Fishlore would love to help you out in regards to adding them to your tanks (its much easier to do than you may think). Not only do they clean out Ammonia and Nitrates for you, but they will also provide plenty of areas for biofilm to grow on. Shrimp such as the ones you have love planted tanks. They will be more vibrant, show you their natural behavior, and breed much more readily with the presence of them.

4. Don't panic! This is one thing you want to avoid doing with anything in the aquarium hobby. Don't worry, we all have made mistakes before when keeping aquariums. Even the veterans on here have also made mistakes in the past. Just know that your new Fishlore friends are here to help you the whole way so you can enjoy keeping aquariums once more. Keep us updated on how your shrimp are doing when you get home from work. :)

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

thank you also it was done at about 12 ill be home at about 5 i will go home and treat tank for sure!!!

i was just worried about my baby shrimp (just born) with the ammonia and stuff being at the level it was yesterday so i wanted to get as much out as i could

it happened around 12 ill be home at about 5 i will go home and treat tank for sure!!!
no i wasnt cycling its been done with that

im scared he killed my shrimp bc i cant get there fast enough with being at work to take care of the issue im sure he killed the babys that just came out

i have a 29 gallon i can out them in but i cant see the babies to get them out also i have only cory cats in the 29 gallon as of right now
IMO, the 29 gal would make a great home for them! Give them a week or two to fully recover from the chlorine/chloramine poisoning. As for the newborns, a week or two from now they will be big enough to eat the same food as the adults (until this they will be totally reliant on biofilm) and should be more visible. I also find that smaller shrimp recover from poisoning faster since they have smaller systems, though they are also more sensitive. A larger tank is much more stable and your shrimp will have more access to biofilm. Since shrimp graze constantly, biofilm is necessary to them for longer lifespans, better color, and healthier shrimp overall. The cory cats would be of little threat to your shrimp, and with lots of plant cover, your future fish stocking will not be able to eat all of your shrimplets. There may be some losses, but your shrimp will be much healthier and happier. I currently have shrimp in both a 36 and a 10gal. I find that shrimp are more active with less fish activity in the 10gal, but shrimp in the 36gal grow larger and saddle more often. Once the shrimp are adults, the fish are no longer a threat.

Also what test do you use for ammonia? At 2 ppm your shrimp would be very ill. And did you mean 30 ppm nitrate and 2 ppm nitrite? For parameters to jump that quickly, it could be that you are loading the tank with too much food. Shrimp mostly eat biofilm so they don't need much in prepared foods. Veggies should be removed within a few hours to prevent rotting. The tank is new, so it is important not to overload it until the bacterial colonies are ready to handle the waste. Having nitrate is a good sign though, this means the bacteria are present in the tank and doing their job, there just aren't enough of them yet

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

I also agree with Crimson with moving them into the 29 gallon long term. You can house plenty of schooling fish with your Cories and Shrimp and have a thriving community tank (you just want to avoid adding larger fish that will incessantly hunt all your shrimp down like larger Gourami, Angels, or any species like that). In fact, my own 29 gallon aquarium is living proof of that right here.

0608211314a.jpg
This aquarium houses a Clown Pleco, Lambchop Rasboras, Neon Tetras as well as many snails with the shrimp and despite all of that I have a thriving colony in there that I don't even feed the shrimp due to the large amount of biofilm and plant matter present in there.

Upvote 0

paige4706

Keeping plenty of shrimp myself, I can offer my insight to keeping them as well. First and foremost, I agree with what Crimson_687 said. I would just add the dechlorinator to the tank to reduce the stress levels in the shrimp. They are very delicate creatures, moreso than even fish so stressing them out by moving them to a different tank will do much more harm than good in my opinion. There are a few other things to note when keeping shrimp that you may want to consider as well;

1. Shrimp will do much better in established tanks with plenty of biofilm for them to graze on. This is a primary food source for shrimp and will ensure that they show you their best colors. So next time you get some shrimp, make sure that the tank in question is not only cycled but mature as well. Live plants will aid greatly in this process (talk more about that below).

2. Larger tanks such as a 5 or 10 gallon will be better for keeping shrimp especially if you are a beginner. Not only will you be able to house more of them efficiently as Neocardinia are prone to producing a lot of offspring at a rapid rate quite easily, but having the larger tank will allow you to keep your water parameters much more stable from ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes. A 3 gallon tank is very small in water volume. If you re a beginner, it will be very difficult keeping stable parameters that are needed by the shrimp, stressing them out and possibly causing premature death as well.

3. Live Plants. This concept can be very daunting for a beginner. Luckily, your friends here on Fishlore would love to help you out in regards to adding them to your tanks (its much easier to do than you may think). Not only do they clean out Ammonia and Nitrates for you, but they will also provide plenty of areas for biofilm to grow on. Shrimp such as the ones you have love planted tanks. They will be more vibrant, show you their natural behavior, and breed much more readily with the presence of them.

4. Don't panic! This is one thing you want to avoid doing with anything in the aquarium hobby. Don't worry, we all have made mistakes before when keeping aquariums. Even the veterans on here have also made mistakes in the past. Just know that your new Fishlore friends are here to help you the whole way so you can enjoy keeping aquariums once more. Keep us updated on how your shrimp are doing when you get home from work. :)

Thank you so much for all the info I had two in the tank at first then we bought 6 more on Monday not knowing that one of our orange ones was highly pregnant she gave birth in the 3 gallon and the orange ones I can’t really even see the babies at all they are clear

this tank has a lot of bio film in it right now they are eatin/cleaning non stop

I’ve done so much research since starting so I decided to join here for more help!!

I got home and they were alive thank god!!
I do some a ton of detritus worms though
But I’m trying I’m about to check the water parameters

IMO, the 29 gal would make a great home for them! Give them a week or two to fully recover from the chlorine/chloramine poisoning. As for the newborns, a week or two from now they will be big enough to eat the same food as the adults (until this they will be totally reliant on biofilm) and should be more visible. I also find that smaller shrimp recover from poisoning faster since they have smaller systems, though they are also more sensitive. A larger tank is much more stable and your shrimp will have more access to biofilm. Since shrimp graze constantly, biofilm is necessary to them for longer lifespans, better color, and healthier shrimp overall. The cory cats would be of little threat to your shrimp, and with lots of plant cover, your future fish stocking will not be able to eat all of your shrimplets. There may be some losses, but your shrimp will be much healthier and happier. I currently have shrimp in both a 36 and a 10gal. I find that shrimp are more active with less fish activity in the 10gal, but shrimp in the 36gal grow larger and saddle more often. Once the shrimp are adults, the fish are no longer a threat.

Also what test do you use for ammonia? At 2 ppm your shrimp would be very ill. And did you mean 30 ppm nitrate and 2 ppm nitrite? For parameters to jump that quickly, it could be that you are loading the tank with too much food. Shrimp mostly eat biofilm so they don't need much in prepared foods. Veggies should be removed within a few hours to prevent rotting. The tank is new, so it is important not to overload it until the bacterial colonies are ready to handle the waste. Having nitrate is a good sign though, this means the bacteria are present in the tank and doing their job, there just aren't enough of them yet
thank you a bunch!! They are alive and I still see some babies but they are clear so I can’t see them on anything but the glass I added the picture of their tank and the tank we will eventually put them in we’re just waiting for the plants to grow out !! Edit I added a picture of water Parameters

Attachments

• 655CB02B-9581-444D-9AFF-A4DB79C1C8AC.jpeg
    655CB02B-9581-444D-9AFF-A4DB79C1C8AC.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 23
  • CA22DE2F-B68F-48E7-BD1D-0BE6831F4DAA.jpeg
    CA22DE2F-B68F-48E7-BD1D-0BE6831F4DAA.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 25
  • F4A4F989-5757-4EF8-AE55-B460D1FF4CED.jpeg
    F4A4F989-5757-4EF8-AE55-B460D1FF4CED.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Thank you so much for all the info I had two in the tank at first then we bought 6 more on Monday not knowing that one of our orange ones was highly pregnant she gave birth in the 3 gallon and the orange ones I can’t really even see the babies at all they are clear

this tank has a lot of bio film in it right now they are eatin/cleaning non stop

I’ve done so much research since starting so I decided to join here for more help!!

I got home and they were alive thank god!!
I do some a ton of detritus worms though
But I’m trying I’m about to check the water parameters

thank you a bunch!! They are alive and I still see some babies but they are clear so I can’t see them on anything but the glass I added the picture of their tank and the tank we will eventually put them in we’re just waiting for the plants to grow out !!
The detritus worms are a good sign, they indicate your tank is healthy, though too many of them may indicate overfeeding and too much buildup of mulm. It might mean that when he did the water change he stirred the substrate a bit much. Generally you only want to clean the debris off the surface of the substrate, since digging the vacuum into the substrate will stir pockets of anaerobic bacteria and potentially release harmful organic wastes into the water column

Upvote 0

paige4706

The detritus worms are a good sign, they indicate your tank is healthy, though too many of them may indicate overfeeding and too much buildup of mulm. It might mean that when he did the water change he stirred the substrate a bit much. Generally you only want to clean the debris off the surface of the substrate, since digging the vacuum into the substrate will stir pockets of anaerobic bacteria and potentially release harmful organic wastes into the water column

We actually didn’t get down into the substrate bc it’s sand and we always suck to much up so we did it from the water column both times I notice them on the glass last night
I also agree with Crimson with moving them into the 29 gallon long term. You can house plenty of schooling fish with your Cories and Shrimp and have a thriving community tank (you just want to avoid adding larger fish that will incessantly hunt all your shrimp down like larger Gourami, Angels, or any species like that). In fact, my own 29 gallon aquarium is living proof of that right here.

0608211314a.jpg
This aquarium houses a Clown Pleco, Lambchop Rasboras, Neon Tetras as well as many snails with the shrimp and despite all of that I have a thriving colony in there that I don't even feed the shrimp due to the large amount of biofilm and plant matter present in there.

We planted up the 29 gallon marked a shrimp hut out of broken terracotta saucers once the plants grow up were gonna add some in with the corys we thought about getting some tetras and one anglefish once there is plenty of coverage for the shrimp to hide ( to at least try it ). Also where can I buy more plants online I know aquarium co op but I’m not sure if anything else USA available

your tank is beautiful

Attachments

• DA1D55DD-01AE-4460-BD4F-20ED19B0283C.jpeg
    DA1D55DD-01AE-4460-BD4F-20ED19B0283C.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Crimson_687

We actually didn’t get down into the substrate bc it’s sand and we always suck to much up so we did it from the water column both times I notice them on the glass last night

We planted up the 29 gallon marked a shrimp hut out of broken terracotta saucers once the plants grow up were gonna add some in with the corys we thought about getting some tetras and one anglefish once there is plenty of coverage for the shrimp to hide ( to at least try it ). Also where can I buy more plants online I know aquarium co op but I’m not sure if anything else USA available

your tank is beautiful
IMO stay away from angelfish. They get quite massive for a 29g and they can be very aggressive. You could do a honey gourami or Bolivian ram pair though. Both will be peaceful to the tetras and should only be a threat to young shrimp, though it depends on their taste. Some may just have a taste for shrimp. Angelfish are known for snacking on shrimp though and they will readily take to ghost shrimp offered as feeders.
I’ve never bought from BucePlant or DustinsFishtanks, but both have pretty good selection

Upvote 0

paige4706

IMO stay away from angelfish. They get quite massive for a 29g and they can be very aggressive. You could do a honey gourami or Bolivian ram pair though. Both will be peaceful to the tetras and should only be a threat to young shrimp, though it depends on their taste. Some may just have a taste for shrimp. Angelfish are known for snacking on shrimp though and they will readily take to ghost shrimp offered as feeders.
I’ve never bought from BucePlant or DustinsFishtanks, but both have pretty good selection

Well maybe a one of those we just want a pretty centerpiece fish :) what abouta German Blue Ram

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Well maybe a one of those we just want a pretty centerpiece fish :) what abouta German Blue Ram
They require much higher temps than Bolivian ram. What type of corys do you have? They may not enjoy German ram temps

Upvote 0

paige4706

They require much higher temps than Bolivian ram. What type of corys do you have? They may not enjoy German ram temps
I looked them up they are so beautiful
and
They are albino corys

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

I looked them up they are so beautiful
and
They are albino corys
Unfortunately German rams need temps in the mid-80s, too high for your albino corys. You could keep Bolivian rams and your cories comfortable in the mid-70s though. Honey gouramis are comfortable in the 70s as well.

if you like the blue look of German rams, you could also try a dwarf gourami, just be mindful of their personality as some dwarf gourami can be very ill-tempered. With a good personality though they make a great single centerpiece for a community tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Chris1212