Helmet Diving

1. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I just returned from a family vacation in Bermuda. One of the things we did there was Helmet Diving. You're in about 10 feet or so of water with a large helmet over your head with an oxygen line. Think about turning a glass upside down and putting it in water. Your head stays dry the whole time, you can wear glasses, contacts, whatever. You can even reach your hand under the helmet to scratch your face if need be. We got to see, feed, touch, and lern about many fish/sea creatures. Just thought I'd share a few pictures of myself, my wife, and my son - this is a true Fishlorian vacation activity!
    Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.32.29 PM.jpg
    P7120007.JPG
    Eel copy.png
    P7120006.jpg

2. april_fish Member Member

Awesome! That looks super fun :)

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Pretty cool, reminded me of a guy with a 30,000 gal reef tank that dives in and hand feeds the fish.

4. JeffK Well Known Member Member

No swimming skills needed, either!

My third picture (the eel) actually bit our guide!

5. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a lot of fun! Don't those things weigh alot? :woot: *Ouch* - for the guide.

6. JeffK Well Known Member Member

You walk down the ladder until the water is about chest high, then they place it on your head. It weighs about 40 lbs but is padded at your shoulders. Helps keep you down under water but you don't notice the weight. We jumped up and down from the ocean floor and you can get a little bit of height before you float back down again.