Hello Question 

danivak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm a beginner at this. I bought two Columbian sharks, two red tailed black shark and a pleco. The first night I had the tank light on (because the guy at the pet store said to) and I woke up the next moring to find my cs and pleco dead. I went back and got a refund and bought one more columbian shark. I've noticed that every time I turn on the tank light the cs likes to follow his reflection. When I turn the light off it swims around the tank calmly. I'm scared to turn the light back on cause I don't want it to get exhausted and die like the first two. I got the water test and it's good. I don't understand why they died. I have been feeding them flakes and for the pleco I dropped a couple of wafers. I've also slightly added some sea salt. I don't want my cs to die. Any suggestions?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore . i'm sure someone will be here soon to answer your ?'s

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
columbian sharks can be sensitive, hard to keep fish, plus they get massive.They don't belong to a 10 gallon tank. Maybe 100+ galons?
Regarding the redtail sharks, you should keep only one per tank, with no other similar shape fish. Eventually they will get aggressive towards their own kind and look-alikes

this link gives you an idea about ther RT sharks:
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm

My advice will be to return the columbia and one of the RT sharks and to get smaller fish (specially those who swim on the mid to surface portion to avoid much interaction with the RT shark

danivak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really like the cs and I do plan on getting a bigger tank (I got that tank for free). If I were to get rid of the rt what other fish would work well with the cs? (though I really like the rt as well)
And what about the tank light? I have real plants in my tank but the cs don't seem to like the light.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
https://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile63.html

The above links gives you some info about requirements for Columbia's (salinity, tank size etc). When they still young they are ok in freshwater, as they get bigger they need brackish. A problem with this fish in a community tanks is that they most probably will feed on smaller fishes, if they are small enough to fit in its mouth it is considered food. Regarding the lights I am not sure if intense lights affects them, but based on their hidding habits and on low light preference of other cats i guess they prefer low light. But if you provide him shady hiding places should be ok
Also, if you are thinking keeping the CS because you are planning on upgrading, the upgrade should be soon and to a really big tank.

I lost one i had (about 6" long), like 5 months after i established my 60g tank (it was the only fish i lost), and the only reason i can think of causing his death is because they really need a much bigger tank.
I hope this helps
best wishes

oops, the 2nd link above is not about columbia but mystic shark, try this one
https://www.fishlore.com/profile-columbianshark.htm

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have live plants (yet), but I think you should check with someone having a planted tank if the salt could affect your plants. I am not sure, someone else should advice you on that.

angel_scout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads