Hello

RobertsBaby

Reaction score
I am brand new to owning fish. I got two mollies. I was wondering what it looks like when they breed and how you could tell the sexes. How do mollies display affection before they mate? I have lots of questions. Please help me!

lolagurl

Reaction score
I'm not really a fish expert, but I know this. Female mollies have like chubby stomachs, I guess is what youd say. Males are slender.

cowizzle

Reaction score

hI guys! 8)

according to what i've learned from izabela (sorry if I spelled your name wrong).. the males have a just a pointed analfin while the female's analfin fan's out. I believe there's a board for sexing livebearers but the info they had didnt really make sense until I posted a pic of one of my molly fish and had people respond to which it was. izabela was the one who pointed out that the males had "NO fan" and I think that's all you need to know to tell the difference between the two.

I have balloon belly mollies so their tummies are always gonna be "fat" compared to the others.

as far as their behavior while mating, I have yet to see that for myself. I'm savin up for a Huge tank so I can finally add a boy and start breedin mollies =]  hope you're ready for a whole lotta fry because mollies are kinda like... bunnies? LOL

well, I hope this helps you out somehow. let us know how things go with your fishies  good luck!

;Dme,
christyn

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. When they breed, you'll have no doubt who the male is. He literally moves his gonopodium (aka thingy) about until it's in the right position. He'll start like dogs, by smelling her bum. All I can say is it doesn't look all that pleasant to the female.

New Threads