Hello

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by tegster, Dec 31, 2009.

1. t

tegster New Member Member

Hello everyone,

I just got a betta for my son for his birthday. His name is "Duke" and he is a very pretty boy. At any rate, I bought him with a one gallon tank setup to put him in before doing my research here. He has been in there for only a couple days and have been doing water changes everyday (30-40%). His ammonia readings are very high.

Yesterday, I picked up a 10 gallon tank with stand that I want to put him in. This tank came with everything I need, but the items are quite old and I was considering pitching some of it (the filter and airpump especially). I want to get Duke into a better environment as quickly as possible and in order to do that, I am planning on going out tonight for a heater and new filter for the 10 gallon tank I bought. I plan on cleaning it out and getting it set up this weekend so I can get him out of where he is.

I am curious as to what kind of HOB filter you would recommend for the tank that would be quiet for the people and Duke (I know Bettas like relatively calm warm water).

Just so you are aware, I recently upgraded my 20 gallon long tank to a 29 gallon that is taller that I keep some assorted tropical fish in my dining room, (3 Gold Barbs, 3 neon tetras, 2 that I can't remember the name of (they are clear with gold and black stripes on their fins), 1 red serpea tetra, and 1 dalmation molly) (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates <20) so I have some experience keeping fish as well as access to an established tank. I purchased a new Whisper 3i filter that I have currently in my 29 gallon tank that I am hoping to "seed" both his current home and new home once I get it setup. I would like to do the same with the filter I purchase for the 10 gallon setup for him.

Duke's ammonia levels are way too high, which is why I have been changing his water everyday using water from my established tank. I know about the Nitrogen cycle and this too shall pass, but the fish is suffering and I want to minimize the stress on him. I plan on getting some Prime tonight as I have been using stress coat + (at the advice on the board) so I can get both his ammonia and nitrites down between his daily water changes.

I would love to put him into my present tank for a bit until I can seed his new tank, but I know Bettas are more solitary creatures, and I don't want to stress him any further.

So is there any way for me to move him to the bigger tank without stressing him or any of my other fish picking on him, or him picking on the others? (put him in a breeding net/cup maybe?) If that is not an option, is there anyway that I can minimize the time he is suffering in his current digs before I get his new home setup?

Sorry this is long winded and I hope you can help.

Thanks.

2. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hi There! Thanks for being responsible and making sure you provide a healthy environment for your betta! I would keep Duke in his own bowl until his new tank is ready. In the community tank, not only would he be stressed, he would be subject to attack by some of your other fish. He, them, or both could wind up wounded or killed. If you keep changing the water every day until his new tank is ready he will be in better shape than being introduced to the community tank.

As for a filter, you could use any filter for his tank, and slow the current with extra filter media at the outflow area. I personally enjoy the Azoo Palm Filters, they circulate the water but keep the current low.

In terms of decorations, please ensure that all of his plants are silk. Plastic plants can tear his fins. Also, anything decorative like caves or bridges should be checked to make sure no sharp edges could snag his fins. If you run some pantyhose over the decoration and it snags, it is not betta safe. Additionally, make sure no holes are too small for your thumb to fit through. If they are, he might get stuck!

Welcome to Fishlore! We'd love to see pictures of your little guy!

3. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Hello Tegster and welcome to FishLore

If your tank is large enough...float him in a gallon jar in the tank and exchange the water everyday right in the tank.....or some kind of nice container...then he would remain acclimated and temps good, with the filtered water. Even a breeder box would work good as a temperary floaty and have water exchange.....be sure it has a lid!!!...sometimes bettas are known to jump.
    This will work while his new tank gets established.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!
    How long has the 29g been cycled?
    If it's well established, you could cut a peice of filter media and put it in the new filter. You can also take a handful of gravel from the established tank, put it in clean never seen soap panty hose and hang it in the new tank.
    That'll help seed the new tank.
    Keep an eye on your water parameters, but it should give you an instant cycle (provided enough bacteria was transferred).

Congrats on upgrading your boy. Post some pics of your tanks, we'd love to see them.

5. OP
    OP
    t

Wow, it took me longer to type my message than to get the first two replies, Thanks!

I did not know that about plastic plants and Bettas so I appreciate the advice on the decorations for the tank! I want to keep him happy and healthy in his new digs so I will ensure that there is nothing sharp in the new tank (his current home has one silk plant and a no fishing sign that my son found, but no sharp edges) I will make sure we only get Betta-safe decorations.

I will most definitely post pictures once I get him in his new home but I am a little embarrassed with his living conditions at the moment.

I will see what I can find for him at the LFS today to make his life a little easier. Hopefully I can get a breeder box with a lid on it to keep him in the main tank for now. I know most times they are clear boxes and I am concerned that if he can see his tankmates or they can see him, one or the other might get spooked and I would prefer that does not happen.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Lucy,

My 20 Gallon long was cycled for over a year (18 months or so). I upgraded that one to a new 29 gallon last week using the filter media from the old tank. I actually used the filter on the bucket I kept the fish in while I was moving to the new tank, so the media stayed moist and I would not lose any of the good bacteria on the media. I learned that one when I was initially cycling the tank. I could not get my readings to come down on the harmful stuff no matter what I tried. My neighbor was getting rid of a filter from his tank to upgrade to a new one. I put it on my tank and within a day, all the bad stuff went away. I transferred the substrate from the old tank after rinsing out with de-clorinated water. So post move, my ammonia and nitrite readings were not registering (0). Been testing daily to ensure I did not get any spikes and everything is reading great.

I also was very careful not to over populate my 20 gallon tank and my fish are loving their new home in the 29 gallon. I am planning on getting some company for my lone red serpea tetra because he is looking lonely and hides a lot.

UPDATE: I was able to purchase a breeder cup that floats in my current tank, so Duke has been moved to my 29 gallon in the breeder cup and is floating along with 0 PPM on the ammonia and nitrites. It has a very tight fitting lid, so I am confident that he will be safe from jumping.

His new filter is also installed on my current tank for the purpose of seeding for its permanent home. In his old tank, he was 1.0 on the ammonia according to my API test kit, which is entirely too high.

So while we are not out of the woods completely, I at least feel a little better knowing that he does not have to swim in that toxic water any longer. He seems to be adjusting fine to seeing his tankmates so that is also a relief.

The breeding cup floats above the water line in my current tank and is slotted for fresh air on top so he is getting an abundance of fresh air for breathing too.

So while I cannot control what kind of 2009 Duke had, I can work to ensure the 2010 looks up for him. Keep your fingers crossed for Duke. Pics coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  6. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

That sounds great! Looking forward to seeing pictures.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tegster and Welcome to Fish Lore. I'll be looking forward to more of your updates and to photos of your tanks and fish. I hope you enjoy the site. Lots of great information and many friendly people.

:animal0068:I've merged some of your posts that were posted back to back with no responses between. To save a little space on the site there is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts should there be no responses. Too, don't hesitate to respond to more than one poster in a single post.

Have fun setting up Duke's new tank. :) Keep us posted.
    Happy New Year!
    Ken:animal0028:

8. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing pictures and hope you and your son get as much enjoyment from Duke as my son and I do from our betta boys.

9. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum,
    It sounds like Duke has a very happy home! I can't wait to see him.

10. bettafish2816

bettafish2816 Fishlore VIP Member

hi and welcome! :)

11. OP
    OP
    t

Ok, I just had to update this saga for Duke. This can filed under the category "Funny story, but not at the time".

"Duke" was relocated during the New Year's day holiday to his new 10 gallon tank and things were going swimmingly (pun intended) for about a day and a half. At 5:15 AM on January 4th, I was awakened to the sound of Duke's filter making a lot of noise. Not really being awake, I went for my "fish cup" to reprime the filter since it seemed to run out of water, opened the lid of the tank and went to fill the cup when I noticed that there was no water at the top of the tank as expected. Curious but not really awake I bent down to check on this odd occurrence and noticed that Duke was still swimming in the water but there was only about an inch of water above the gravel in his tank. Not exactly sure what happened next, I was instantly awake and went into full-scale fish evacuation mode.

I grabbed my 5-gallon bucket and siphon and began siphoning water from the the 10 gallon tank that now had just over a gallon of water. Once I got enough water in the bucket and Duke was netted and placed in the bucket while I continued to gather as much water as necessary for him to be comfortable for his unintended move. Duke was acclimated back to my larger tank by adding water to his bucket and eventually transferred back to his temporary home in the breeder cup floating in the top of my 29 gallon.

After emptying the rest of the water, removing the gravel, decorations and everything, I found that Duke's tank had cracked at the bottom and that is where the leak was coming from. So removed the tank, the stand and began the cleanup process of getting the water out of my carpet, and moved the filter to my larger tank to maintain the cycle.

So I bought Duke a new 10 gallon tank on my lunch hour as I had everything else and got myself a couple Cories for my 29 gallon tank (couldn't resist). That evening we reset everything back up with the new tank and put the filter, heater, new gravel and everything else back in the tank and I used quite a bit of my larger tank's water to fill the tank. Duke was reacclimated to his new home once again and is happy and healthy and has been for a little over a week. You'll be happy to know the cories are quite happy, healthy and a lot of fun in my bigger tank too.

I am still in a state of shock over the whole thing and pretty amused by what we would do to keep fish in our homes. The whole rescue and cleanup operation took less than 2 hours and I was still able to get to work on time!

P.S. No pictures yet as our digital camera is broken and we need to get another one!!!

12. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

Wow! I would have FREAKED! It's weird how it just randomly cracked like that. I'm glad to hear that he wasn't hurt. It's a good thing you caught it when you did. I sleep like the dead so I'm sure I never would have even heard the filter no matter how much noise it was making. I'm glad all ended well for you and for Duke!

P.S. All of my pics were taken with my cell phone! ;)

13. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

I also would have flipped out. Good on you for keeping your cool!

Glad to hear Duke is in a nice big home :)

14. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Wow... great save! Talk about fortunate you heard the filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice