Hello :-)

claremc

Hello everyone. Had no intention of getting a fish but a few weeks ago someone gifted us a small (3 gallons) Aquaponics tank. Several hours of research, one heater, a thermometer, water conditioner, bug bites, bloodworms, gravel, silk plants, a Betta hammock, and testing kit later, we're hopefully good to go! (This was not the cheapest present ever, lol)

We got our Betta from the v helpful LFS and now we're totally enamoured. I love his grumpy face! We've also harvested a few batches of wheatgrass and radish seeds from the top so that's pretty cool too.

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 21

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! How long exactly was this tank setup? If a fish was a surprise or gift then it’s normally not cycled.

claremc

We got the tank empty and followed the LFS's instructions - it was set up for over a week before we got the fish.

betta06

welcome to fishlore! love your betta and I agree they have such cute/grumpy faces!

the cycling process should take more then a week what are your parameters?

claremc

I only have Tetra easy strips so not sure how accurate. One on the left is tank, right is tap water. I think shows 0 nitrates, nitrites, v soft gh? 0 chlorine, low alkalinity, neutral ph. Temp is 78-79. If tank had cycled, would there be some nitrites? Looked a bit cloudy for a while but clear now.
Tank set up on 11th April, used Seachem stability and bit of fish food. fish bought on 20th April. 1 water top up so far (plants on top take up a lot of water - didn’t measure how much), used Seachem Prime. Does that sound ok?
The nitrite square on the tank one has just started to look a tiny bit pink, but has been out of water for 30-45 mins.
Sorry, I mean if tank has cycled should there be some *nitrates*.

Attachments

• 96098A66-4DB9-47BA-AE39-4B578A8E45C2.jpeg
    96098A66-4DB9-47BA-AE39-4B578A8E45C2.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 8

claremc

I just bought an ammonia test kit from the LFS (Salifert Nh3 drops) and I think it shows 0? Earlier today though I topped up 1L of water plus Prime (due to plant usage - I didn’t take any out) which might affect results? Will test again tomorrow.

Attachments

• F8431B9F-B770-4D5A-A7DA-7DA0C4E69AB3.jpeg
    F8431B9F-B770-4D5A-A7DA-7DA0C4E69AB3.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 10

JLAquatics

Welcome to the family! As said above I would constantly monitor those parameters for a few weeks every day or other day and a good regular water change schedule when the Nitrates start rising above 10-20 ppm. As long as those Nitrites and Ammonia are not rising at all you should be good to go. That's a nice little Betta you got there! :)

claremc

Thank you, will do! I very much appreciate all the replies on here and I'm glad I was encouraged to check the parameters. Was just at the dentist (they have a lovely big tank) and the receptionist told me she lost 6 Bettas in 6 months at home! I've been panicking about mine since yesterday realizing I had no way to check for ammonia, but buying the test today was reassuring. I'm definitely an over-worrier - maybe better than being too complacent but not much fun at 2am!

HupGuppHup

Welcome! Don't fret too much, many of us blunder along a bit at first when we first start up - I sure did! You're doing a lot of things right by coming here for advice - it's by far the best place I've found to learn about everything I didn't know.
Cheers!

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :) We can definitely help you out with your fish!

Marlene327

Welcome, and wishing you and your fish all the best! This is the place to learn all you need to know!

claremc

For sure - and seems like a good place to discover items I never knew I wanted! Already wondering about getting a 5g tank for the fish and putting snails and/or shrimp in the 3g...

Added to my fish toolkit today: tweezers (for feeding bloodworms), and Ammonia test kit. Also put one of the kids' plastic cups in the tank as a small hide away (whoo hoo - that one was free!).

Next item to purchase: turkey baster (or similar) for cleaning gravel.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TatianaV
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
Dri22
Replies