Hello!

Tanked4Relaxin

Hi!

I am looking forward to learning from you all. I joined primarily bc I am really diving into the study of Angel Fish. I've had two since last summer, when they were tiny. Now, they have grown beautiful, but their notorious reputation for aggression has reared its head. I bought and transferred from a 29 gallon to 55 gallon last week. Provided a good deal of plants to hide, and the community fish in tank are not problematic. Water flow is low and temp. is roughly 77-80 degrees. They eat flakes daily but get frozen brine approx. three times a week. They are very interactive with me. Seem very happy, other than, sadly when they see each other. They are doing the "kissing" - hard, or body slamming. Neither has the hump on its head. I am devastated. I am pretty attached and don't want to relinquish. Any thoughts?

Betta'sAnonymous

Welcome! Do you have any dither fish in the aquarium with them?

fallfever

Welcome to fishlore! They are doing what cichlids do...namely, being unpredictable. I'm curious if there is physical damage, if one is stunted or dominant, and how they are eating. They are adults so they do seem to be surviving. Usually tall plants and sight blocks are a good idea. It's really difficulty to force a pairing with angels as a lot of folks stock six or so then rehome the others when a pair forms. There is always the 29 if you kept it and all else fails or there is the threat of serious harm.

Tanked4Relaxin

I don't see any damage at this point. Is my only option to separate? I can't upload video, format not accepted here.
Tanked4Relaxin said:
I don't see any damage at this point. Is my only option to separate? I can't upload video, format not accepted here.
It's rather bizarre. At times they swim alongside one another peacefully, or do their thing independently, then like a switch goes off, it's like I'm watching a Rocky movie in my tank!!
fallfever said:
Welcome to fishlore! They are doing what cichlids do...namely, being unpredictable. I'm curious if there is physical damage, if one is stunted or dominant, and how they are eating. They are adults so they do seem to be surviving. Usually tall plants and sight blocks are a good idea. It's really difficulty to force a pairing with angels as a lot of folks stock six or so then rehome the others when a pair forms. There is always the 29 if you kept it and all else fails or there is the threat of serious harm.
Yes, I was thinking about the 29. But how do they fare not in pairs, esp. since they grew up in one?

fallfever

Angelfish are fine alone. I had a pair I had to split up a couple of years ago, but I had a bully and they are great by themselves. Having said that, yours have been together for a while and they certainly might work out their differences on their own, so it may just be worth monitoring and being ready to move if necessary. You can rearrange the tank to confuse the fish and remove territories or use another tank as a timeout. I've done both with larger cichlids with some success.

Tanked4Relaxin

Would rearranging a tank they were just moved into a week ago really work?

Tanked4Relaxin

fallfever said:
Angelfish are fine alone. I had a pair I had to split up a couple of years ago, but I had a bully and they are great by themselves. Having said that, yours have been together for a while and they certainly might work out their differences on their own, so it may just be worth monitoring and being ready to move if necessary. You can rearrange the tank to confuse the fish and remove territories or use another tank as a timeout. I've done both with larger cichlids with some success.
I finally separated them tonight. What a chore! And I am so heartbroken thinking they must be so confused. The body slamming was getting intense & I think my striped was actually acting frightened, if not injured- not sure on the latter. So because that one took the brunt, I put in the 29 gal., figuring the plants filled it up more, giving him/her better feeling of safety, easier to hide, even though not necessary now. Just wanted to make him feel secure. So, should this be a permanent move, or time out? I put a few Molly's & a bottom feeder grommie in w it (I know I spelled wrong).

fallfever

They do not like to be moved. Then again, I wouldn't like to be scooped up in a net either. You're a good fishkeeper making sure your angel survives. It may be that the dominant fish will not allow another angel to live with it, and that's ok. He is telling you he wants to be alone. You have a place for both of them. You'll have to decide if you want to try again. That's the joy and unpredictability of owning a cichlid...they have their own personalities.

Tanked4Relaxin

Aww thank you. I hope so much they survive & are happy. I am spending a lot of time interacting with them. They beat each other up, but also would glide beautifully alongside each other. I'm so bothered about this. Well, we shall hope for the best! Have a nice night!

Tanked4Relaxin

Hi. Me again. Do you know if Angelfish that have been raised as a pair then separated will still do well alone?

fallfever

It won't matter. Cichlids develop their own personalities as they grow older. How they get along when young has little impact on what they are like when they are older. Angelfish can be very picky about their partners. Most folks purchase six or so and let a group pair off then return the rest. I have one in a 65 gallon who will not tolerate another angelfish but lives peacefully with other fish.

Latest threads

Top Bottom