Hello! Stocking Ideas For 36 Gallon?

Garnet

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a while and am glad to have finally joined this wonderful community. Even though I’ve been keeping bettas for about 20 years (got my first tank when I was about 13/14), I still consider myself rather inexperienced in the hobby. I’ve recently decided to branch out and try my hand at a community tank. I have a 10 gallon with some glowlight tetras, a mystery snail, and a female guppy that I’ve had for about a year now. But I recently purchased a 36 gallon bow front that is in the midst of being cycled and could really use some help with stocking it.

I have no idea what I am going to put in it yet and am open to any ideas. My niece and nephew love yellow and red, so if anyone has any stocking suggestions for some easily available red or yellow fish, that would be awesome. I love cherry barbs and chili rasboras, but other than platy or guppies for the yellow, any other suggestions? Or a good centerpiece fish? My LFS suggested a blood parrot, but I’m not sold on it yet. The 36g has pea pebbles, and so far, only fake plants and some caves/hiding spots. Filtration is a sponge filter rated for 55 gallons and a Top Fin Silentstream 40 that I plan to upgrade in the next few months (I could use good budget friendly filter recommendations, too!). I’m open to any and all suggestions, not just yellow and red, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honey gourami are beautiful. Thank you for the suggestion!
I have a tank with 4 honey gouramis....they are beautiful and do not bother other fish. When they "school" together (they're not schooling fish) they are so cute.

Garnet

Reaction score
I have a tank with 4 honey gouramis....they are beautiful and do not bother other fish. When they "school" together (they're not schooling fish) they are so cute.
How many would you recommend for 36g? And they would be fine with most smaller schooling fish? What about with something like a Bolivian ram?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

When I had my 36b bowfront I had originally put in 3 Boesemani Rainbows and 5 Oddessa Barbs. But in your case you could probably put 3 Boesemani rainbows (yellow and blue) or 3 Yellow Rainbows and three Millennium Rainbows (red).

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How many would you recommend for 36g? And they would be fine with most smaller schooling fish? What about with something like a Bolivian ram?
I actually have both. I'm a bit overstocked but I have a pair of Bolivian rams and 4 honey gouramis. All of them get along and do not harass my school of neon tetras.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just to give you an idea of what I have in a 36g tank:

5 yoyo loaches
2 Bolivian rams
10 green tiger barbs

This combination works well, in my opinion. The loaches take the bottom part of the tank and can be very active, the barbs are the same way toward the top, and the rams are an understated centerpiece and are relatively calm most of the time.

I agree that honey gouramis would be very nice too. You may wish to consider a school of forktail rainbowfish (these have beautiful yellow features and tails). They are a bit hard to source, but can be ordered online. ~12 of these with a small school of corydoras and a single centerpiece fish, perhaps a gourami or single Bolivian, would be quite stunning.

Garnet

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I only have a Petsmart in my town, but I plan on making a trip to the closest LFS (about an hour away) soon to see what they have in stock.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I gotta say, I'm very lucky to have a really good fish store just 10 minutes away.

altwitch

Reaction score
My experience with cherry barbs has not gone as smoothly as I would have wished so not disagreeing with advice in that direction, just sharing my experience. I've got a 120g with about 15 species in it, some in small numbers some in schools. In violent agreement about looking at gouramis and rainbows. Recommend them highly as larger centerpiece fish in relatively smaller numbers; and I'd probably go with one or the other. Have heard that different species of rainbows school together but mine don't seem so inclined. Turqoise rainbows I think are some of the most beautiful I have experience with so far.

I also set out for a look with different size fish including a couple of smaller shoaling fish - look into some of the smaller tetras or rasboras and see what you might like. I'm partial to rummynose tetras and axelrodi rasboras or chili rasboras.

Corydoras of any species are really great - fairly low bioload and they're fun to watch skitter around the bottom sifting through the sand. Could consider bristlenose plecos as there are many species that don't get as large as your standard big box store varieties. My blue eyed lemons are awesome and had to replace after a significant tank event.

I also haunt Liveaquaria site for ideas but prefer to support my LFS here in SC as much as able. I hear they're very reliable and may get there for some hard to stock species so mostly use it for window shopping. Well organized site with pretty good photos of different species.

I also have come to enjoy having a live planted tank since I use it to educate my kids on chemistry/biology/botany. It's not for everyone and during planting can induce some colorful language when things aren't going as smoothly as I'd like but definitely something to consider. Now that everything is established and mostly grown in I'm loving it.

Just some suggestions - at the end of the day it's up to you so long as the dwellers get along well enough together. Best luck with the tank; stocking is the fun part IMHO.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am surprised that no one recomended gold barbs.
Another yellow fish is one of my favorites - golden x-ray tetra, or albino x-ray tetra, They are the most hardy and peacefull tetra that I have kept. They school with the regular x-ray tetra, wich are also cool fish. Most petstores other then petco can order a fish species if you ask. So if you think of somthing you like, and do the research, and call the LFS.

Garnet

Reaction score
I saw some golden barbs the other day. Very pretty!

I found a closer, but very, very small, LFS and asked what they recommended for my 36g. This is what they suggested.

1 koi angelfish
3 sunset honey gourami or 1 pearl gourami
10 glowlight tetras (which I already have)
6-10 of either harlequin rasbora/rummy nose tetras/cherry barbs/head and tail light tetras, etc
1 bolivian ram
1 bristle nose pleco

Are these all compatible? It seems a little overstocked, but I'm used to much smaller tanks so maybe not.

altwitch

Reaction score
With a 120g I've experimented with a few of these; have found that there are those that like to speak absolutes and I don't do that so here's what I've found to be true through experience:

Honey gourami or pearl gourami: beautiful and resilient fish and one of our favorites
Smaller fish: Rummy's are a fave but very high maintenance; took 6 months of experimentation to get them to integrate into the tank - my opinion worth it but was pain in the posterior, my cherry barbs got crazy and started chasing everyone around the tank so sequestered them and they've chilled out, but can be a bit aggressive for a smaller fish; harlequins are fine and have had no dramas there, but tend to lose them slowly over time and not sure what's up.
Bristle Plecos: YES, they're awesome, have Lemon Blue eyes myself; use these and my Otocinclus Cats to keep tank and plants clean, might recommend considering the latter if you think you're going with live plants

That's what I can speak on and hope it helps, cheers and good luck!

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont think your tank is large enough for Rams and angels and gourami. I think you can get one of the 3.

I have read other stories is other forums saying that rummy nose tetra are difficult. How about glowlight, black neon x-ray tetra, so many other options.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom