Hello ...some help with angels and jd's in my tank

1. HappyLady Initiate Member

Hello! I am new to the forum but I have a question. I have a 29 gallon with a 4" Jack Dempsy(came with the tank I bought it used) and I have added an angelfish and a few feeder guppies. The JD isn't hurting any of the other fish so I wondered if it would be ok to assume they can live and be happy together, or if I might run into problems in the future. The reason I put the angel in with the JD is because it was free. I was going to just let JD have the tank to himself because that was what he was used to. Any advice would be great! Also how do I tell if the JD is a male or female?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore happylady!!!!!
    ive moved your post so that you may get help with your questions..in the welcome forum, some might not see it :)

the 29g would be fine for your angel and maybe a nice school of cories, ..but its not big enough for a jd :( unfortunately he will out grow that tank....also, feeder fish, unless you raised them on your own, are not good for our fish as they carry too many diseases from the pet stores..they dont take care of their feeders very well..so I wouldnt feed them to your fish anymore IMO .....

as far as sexing your jd, females have more blue speckles around her gill place on her face and less on her body..the males speckles will be much more vibrant on his body and not so much around his gill plate and belly..if you can post a pic, we can help

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    I agree with shawnie, they may co-exist right now but the JD will eventually snack on the guppies and will stress the angels. you can search on craigslist.com or kiiji or freecycle for larger tanks (make sure they are 55g+) they are alot cheaper and it will provide your JD with a forever home :)

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Happylady!

Great information above. We have several JD's in our home and we keep all of them in 55g's.

5. brennan2010 Initiate Member

I wouldnt expect that JD to be nonaggressive for more much longer. A single JD needs at least 40 gallons to himself if you dont wanna deal with problems. That angel and guppies will be gone or ripped up SOON! Also male JDs usually have sharper pointed fins and a lot more flourescent.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ive had my breeding pair of jds in with my angels for years ;) they should be ok in a proper tank size... but each cichlid is different for sure .. i have mine in a 75g tank...male/female jds have pointed fins ...at least mine do

7. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

you will be needing a new tank for the jd..the jd will not survive in that 29gallon

8. HappyLady Initiate Member

Ok I have a larger tank now, the angels and demons tank is no more... haha. They were able to live together without harming each other though because Jack is docile. Jack is now in with another cichlid that was given to me today at my work. I have no idea what kind it is because it's head is a weird shape. Any ideas on what kind of fish I was given? The fish is approx 4" and 2 or 3 years old.

Attached Files:

9. HappyLady Initiate Member

A few more questions I have are:
    has anyone used this brand of light fixture/lights before?
    http://www.aquariumguys.com/aqualight-saltwater-fluorescent-fixture.html
    I love the blue these bulbs put off and I ordered one through my work for the 29 gallon tank and I wonder if it will help the plants grow or not? I have hornwort, java moss, and swords. A few other misc I will have to get back to you with the names of. The Java is on the back wall secured to plastic screen and I will be putting the new fixture in front of the fixture that is in the middle of the tank so the back wont get much more light, I can even angle the middle light bar if I need to. The light bulb in the fixture right now is a t8 marineland daylight bulb and it's doing a pretty good job getting the hornwort to grow. I hope one day it will be a nicely established planted tank. Is CO2 necessary? How would I know when I need CO2?