Hello! Slight Newbie Here (question About A Baby Fish That Appeared In My Tank Too)

Couple basic questions and hello identifying baby fish in my tank!

• Neon tetra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChrissyStaats

Reaction score
20190807_233444.jpg
20190807_233444.jpg
Hi everyone. My name is Christine. I'm a mother of 6 year old twin girls and have a fiance Anthony. I'm excited to get more serious about fish keeping. I've always found them extremely calming. I had 2 guppies, 3 neon tetras and an algae eater (forgive me because I'm clueless about the name) in a 7 gallon tank for about 2 years up until recently. When I originally bought the fish they were purchased at Petsmart during one of their buy 2 get 3 free deal (or something similar to that.) The man who sold them to my family and I knew what size tank we had and he oversold to us that now I'm ashamed that I didn't see how wrong it was. In the beginning we had 6 neon tetras (guy at petsmart accidentally put an extra in), 4 mollys (2 blacks, 1 silver and 1 dalmatian) and 1 algae eater that was very small at the time. Well long story short within a month the silver molly killed all of the others and I believe ended up dying due to all of the fighting. No more molly's for us at least not yet. At that point I had realized that I clearly went about things all wrong because I foolishly listened to the employee at my local Petsmart. I ended up losing a couple of the neons within the first month or two as well. I didn't get any more fish for months. After about 10 months I decided to get 2 fancy tailed guppies to add to the tank of 3 neons and the algae eater. By this time the algae eater had grown quite large. I saw him going after my guppies and neons and so I inquired about what I should do about it with another employee at Petsmart who was much more educated in fish care. I found out that the original employee sold me an algae eater that is known to get quite aggressive. She also told me that he would just keep growing until he just turned up dead one day. That is basically what happened but not before it killed off 1 more neon and 1 guppie. After my murdering algae eater went on to the big blue in the sky I decided that I wanted to upgrade but I didn't have much to work with so we upgraded to a 10 gallon until we could get our 25 up and ready to go with everything we want to accomplish in the works at least. We want to do a planted community tank of freshwater tropical fish. So now I'm still with my 2 neons, 3 guppies and 3 diamond tetras. I'm in love with the diamonds. I went to an actual aquarium supply/ fish store for the diamonds and the 2 new guppies. They assured me that the 10 gallon would suffice. So far we haven't had any casualties besides 1 mystery snail. But a couple of weeks ago I was stunned when I saw a tiny fry of a fish hiding under one of my artificial plants. I lost track of it that same day and didn't see it despite exhaustive searching day after day. I come home this evening and what do I spot hanging in the front bottom corner of the tank? The baby fish! I was ecstatic. I couldn't figure out when I first spotted it what fish could have bred and layed eggsthat actually hatched and even 1 lived. Well I think I know now that it is a diamond tetra baby. It is close to a half inch now. I'm extremely excited about it. I'd like to know others opinions though... could it possibly be a neon that hasn't yet developed its red and blue colors? The fins tell me that it's not possible because it's tail fin is so angular like the diamonds and it is at this time pretty much colorless besides a darker line going about half way through his body to its tail. I'm going to post a picture and I'd love to know what everyone thinks. I'm probably going to be looking to you all for lots of advice in the next couple of months. I also was curious if the fact that there egg was able to hatch and the fry grow into a small fish... does that tell me that my water conditions are good or does it not mean much? Thanks so much. I look forward to hearing from you all and learning as much as I can.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't identity the baby, but I think they sold you a Chinese Algae Eater. And yes, they are known to be aggressive and undesired in the hobby. They'll eat the natural slime coat off other fish and can kill them. Sorry you had to go through all that! The employees sadly rarely have any actual knowledge and tend to repeat what they've been told probably in training, and that's all a bunch of nonsense. All those fish in a 7 gallon? No way! I only have a betta in my 7 gallon.
Usually baby fish is a sign of good water quality, but not always. Likely the eggs were being eaten by other fish and that one happened to survive.

You'll want to know about the nitrogen cycle, first and foremost. It's very important!

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, that petstore guy was NUTZ!
The baby is a guppies, you have guppies, guppies are live bearers and they can store sperm and have fry months after having been near a male.
You should get test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I recomend salifert brand even if that means spending a few extra dollars then API, and ordering online.

Yes, sounds like you were sold a chinese algae eater. They eat algae when young, but then they grow, and become aggressive slime coat eaters. the best algae eater is a plastic credit card to scrape the sides of the tank.

ChrissyStaats

Reaction score
Thank you. I did actually look into the nitrogen cycle right after signing up for this forum. It asked if I was educated on the subject and at the time I wasn't so I checked off that I wasn't but right after I read the article about it. I'll watch the video as well. Thank you. That algae eater was so little and nice looking when I first got it but he sure became a monster. I still felt badly when he died though despite the relief I also felt for the safety of my other remaining fish.

ChrissyStaats

Reaction score
Oh and the little baby is definitely a diamond tetra. All my guppies are males. The only other thing I thought it could possibly be was a neon bc I was unsure if they developed their red and blue coloring later on but after looking at the pictures I posted it looks like it could have been a full grown diamond if I didn't know better due to the shape of the body and fins. I am going to look into their reproduction process to see if they lay fertilized eggs or if the male fertilizes them as the female lays them. Thanks everyone for their input.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom