Hello!! Restarting my tank, now with more information and more plants

DFSmith

Reaction score
First of all, what an awesome job you guys do in keeping this forum going! Thanks everyone for all the information and help that I've found here before even joining!

My name is Daniela and I'm restarting this whole tropical fish keeping thing in my life.

I've had a really nice little aquarium going on for years, but eventually, all my fishes (Black Neon Tetras, Habrosus Cories and Panda Cories) died, after 4 years or so. There's a video of some of my fishes that was actually used here, on the Habrosus corydoras page, so cool :happy:

and I didn't get any new fishes for a while because I couldn't find a better place to place my tank, a place where I could actually enjoy taking care of it, in my living room. After a lot of moving stuff around, I finally came back to it, and I've been cycling my tank (a 10 gallon tank) for two weeks now, without fish, with only plants and some rocks and driftwood (using Stability and Prime, from Seachem). I think I'll be able to get some new fishes soon, and I'm also considering getting a Nerite Snail. If anyone would like to tell me about those snails, I'd love to know more, I've never had one before.

Anyhoo, here's a picture of my tank, taken this week. I have some more plants coming in the mail, some more Anubias nana Petite, Java Moss and a Bucephalandra Green Wavy ( I think that's the name) and will post pics when they're all set up.
IMG_8132.jpeg

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome! Tank looks great, and it looks like your cycle is coming along nicely as well. Strangely enough, I too am getting back into the hobby after a hiatus and am cycling my tank (20g).

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m doing a fish less with live plants and some Stability/prime. Just like you lol

OP
DFSmith

DFSmith

Reaction score
Love to see it!!
Since my ammonia levels were close to zero and the nitrates are on a safe level (and I'm dosing Stability everyday on my tank), yesterday I went ahead and got two inhabitants for the tank. A baby female betta fish and a false Corydoras JuliI (they sell them at Petco as the real Cory, but I don't think they are). I know Cories have to be in schools, but it was the last Cory they had, and he/she was all alone there :( So, I'm going back tomorrow for more (they get new fishes every Thursday, and the nice dude taking care of the fishes section there told me they'll have these Cories tomorrow). Gonna take some pics and post here.

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's a nice looking tank you have there. Looks very clean. I've got a few of those snails in my dirtiest tank. They do an ok job cleaning. Nothing too exciting but you may want to wait till they have enough to munch on before adding them.

OP
DFSmith

DFSmith

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Yeah, I don't think I should get snails right now, I need to learn more about them. You make a very good point about them having enough to eat.

OP
DFSmith

DFSmith

Reaction score
She's so tiny, lol, but I'll try to get a better picture later. I think she's a Veil Tail Betta, nothing fancy, but to me she's cute as a button :happy:

Attachments

Shika

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your tank is so pretty! I love all the greenery with the colors of your rocks!

OP
DFSmith

DFSmith

Reaction score
Thank you, Shika!! I'm trying not to get carried away and leave some "white space" (I'm a graphic designer) in the landscaping, but it's hard, lol! I added some more plants today, I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there water in there? If so, it looks cleaner than air!

OP
DFSmith

DFSmith

Reaction score
Yeah, there's water, hahahah! It's very clean, indeed, brand new filter, only two weeks old setup.

OP
DFSmith

DFSmith

Reaction score
Some new pictures, couldn't wait till tomorrow to post. :shame:
Today I added some Java Moss, a Bucephalandra and another Anubias Nana Petite, and yesterday the dude at Petco gave me the Hornwort floating at the top. I really hope they have more JuliI (actually False Julii) tomorrow at Petco, this poor guy needs his school!
IMG_8277.jpeg
IMG_8278.jpeg
IMG_8282.jpeg

New Threads