Hello Rcs Question

1. kapsourakis

kapsourakis Valued Member Member

I have a 3 gallon tank for over a month now and i only have 2 guppies in it. I know that this tank is too small to host rcs but anybody have try it ? I am actually in to try this after i remove the guppies. What guys do you think?
    Thanks in advance.

2. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

RCS are one of more hardy shrimp species but from my experience can be tricky to raise in small tanks. So long as the tank is stable in its cycling and and there is no copper in your water you should be good. I would just be cautious of anything that could offset your balance...

3. Rainy day

Rainy day Well Known Member Member

Are these Red Crystal Shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp? If it's cherries you'll be fine. People keep them in 1 gallon bowls. As long as your tank is cycled, go for it. Crystals aren't as hardy so more water dilution would help though space-wise it's okay as well.

4. OP
    OP
    kapsourakis

The tank is cycled and i am experienced fish keeper so i don't think that i will have problems. I had in the past some red cherry shrimps actually are very easy to care and breed.

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

If it was shrimp only, you could probably fit around 30 in it, so you should be fine with a few

6. OP
    OP
    kapsourakis

nah i was thinking about 6 at the start and if i manage to breed i will reach like 10-15 max :)

7. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

You might want to keep a guppy in the tank with 6 shrimp you will more then likely loose you cycle.
    3 g tank IMO is great for shrimp. I haven thinking about a 2.5 tank. You just need to make sure your water stays stable and clean. Good luck

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm partial to keeping snails with shrimp, and those guys are poop machines they can definitely keep a cycle (depending on the type, I mean a teeny baby snail won't do that much lol)

9. OP
    OP
    kapsourakis

i put 3 Malaysian snails for this reason in case i wanna put out the guppies. I have them since i start to cycle the aquarium after 3 weeks i put the guppies in.