Hello quick question, how to breed platys

Fishkeeper25

I have 2 females and 1 male platy, Im hoping for babies, how do I get them to breed? I have had them in my tank for about a week now.

CrackerboxPalace

they should breed without any help from you and the females are most likely already pregnant. Check for a dark gravid spot near the anus. If for some reason they don't breed (very unlikely), try feeding some live foods like daphnia or brine shrimp.

SouthAmericanCichlids

They'll breed on there own, it's hard to keep them from breeding, as with most livebearers.

Fishkeeper25

thanks, I have one with a gravid spot I think.
here she is:

SouthAmericanCichlids

There is no pic.

Fishkeeper25

20210214_133003.jpg

sorry I was trying to get it to go through and it did not want to but finally got it

SouthAmericanCichlids

It's a little blurry, but I think this is her gravid spot:

Rick bose

Fishkeeper25 said:
I have 2 females and 1 male platy, Im hoping for babies, how do I get them to breed? I have had them in my tank for about a week now.
They will just breed without you even doing anything. Use a fry box to keep the young ones from being eaten. The parents will eat them. If there are other tankmates in the tank they will eat fries too. Their parents are more than capable of them all their babies if they get enough time & the babies can't hide. So if you don't separate them, very few or even noone can survive. So breeding them is easy but keeping them alive will require some effort.

So keep the pregnant ones in fry box oe boxes and when they are done giving birth just put the mothers out of the box and keep the fries in a new cycled tank to raise them. Give them crushed pelletes that are broken completely like dust. Though breeder box is the most convenient way, there are other ways too that I know but several fries will be lost in those processes.

They will breed often after every few weeks & each female one will give birth to many new ones. Remember that they don't give birth to their offsprings all at once. It will be done is several turns and can take time. So before taking out the females from the breeder box ensure that they won't give birth to anymore fries.

Fishkeeper25

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
It's a little blurry, but I think this is her gravid spot:
yes. sorry, she wouldn't stop moving lol
hold up I will try and get a better picture
Rick bose said:
They will just breed without you even doimg anything. Use a fry box to keep the young ones from being eaten. The parents will eat them and if you don't separate them, very few or even noone can survive. So breeding them is easy but keeping them alive will require some effort.

So keep the pregnant ones in fry box oe boxes and when they are done giving birth just put the mothers out of the box and keep the fries in a new cycled tank to raise them. Give them crushed pelletes that are broken completely like dust. Though breeder box is the most convenient way, there are other ways too that I know but several fries will be lost in those processes.

They will breed often after every few weeks & each female one will give birth to many new ones. Remember that they don't give birth to their offsprings all at once. It will be done is several turns and can take time. So before taking out the females from the breeder box ensure that they won't give birth to anymore fries.
how long should it take them to have there babies?

Rick bose

Fishkeeper25 said:
yes. sorry, she wouldn't stop moving lol
hold up I will try and get a better picture

how long should it take them to have there babies?
4 weeks.

Fishkeeper25

I meant like how long does it take them to deliver the babies after the gestation period? I plan on getting a breeding box.

20210214_142018.jpg

jake37

I will be exceptionally impressed if you manage to keep them a month without them breeding
--
Having said that the tricky part is keeping them from eating the frys as they er pop out. One solution is a heavily planted tanks where the frys can quickly hide or boulder like gravel where they can hide in the gravel or one of the many plastic containers you can buy at your favorite store to keep them safe from the parents.

It is most unfortunately but most livebearers are not loving parents - well they do love their frys just not the way you want them to share this love.

Rick bose

Fishkeeper25 said:
I meant like how long does it take them to deliver the babies after the gestation period? I plan on getting a breeding box.

20210214_142018.jpg
They will start to give out the babies after the gestation period,i.e.,28 days. You might have to wait for a day or two more. Gestation period can be a couple of days more or less to 28 days. So it could be a few days less too. It can take up to 24 hours for a female to give birth to all the fries. It can take several hours less too.

Platies will give birth every month and they give birth to a lot of fries too. Chances are the female ones are already pregnant when you are buying them.

Sorry, I can't tell just by looking at the pictures exactly after how many days the female will give birth. I could estimate a rough time if I was seeing the platy firsthand. I could be wrong but looking at the picture, I would guess they won't give birth immediately like within 1-2 days. So you have enough time in your hand to get the breeder box.

babyfish

Actually when i first got platys they started to breed for a month. After that nice month with some fry they stopped. Haven't been breeding in months, well that was too bad.........

Rick bose

jake37 said:
I will be exceptionally impressed if you manage to keep them a month without them breeding
--
Having said that the tricky part is keeping them from eating the frys as they er pop out. One solution is a heavily planted tanks where the frys can quickly hide or boulder like gravel where they can hide in the gravel or one of the many plastic containers you can buy at your favorite store to keep them safe from the parents.

It is most unfortunately but most livebearers are not loving parents - well they do love their frys just not the way you want them to share this love.
Yes the real challenge would be to keep male and female platies together for over a month without them breeding. If one can achieve that distinction, it would be really shocking.
babyfish said:
Actually when i first got platys they started to breed for a month. After that nice month with some fry they stopped. Haven't been breeding in months, well that was too bad.........
Are you sure you have platies of both sex? I think you have only female platies and they were already pregnant when you brought them. So they gave you some fries in the first month but after that since they are all female, they won't breed.

babyfish

O yes, i am positive. My male is just so shy! He freaks out when he goes near females now. I saw them mating the first month, They gave birth hiding in a plant together XD. but she could've been pregnant when we got her....

Rick bose

babyfish said:
O yes, i am positive. My male is just so shy! He freaks out when he goes near females now.
Oh so your male platy is an young teenage version of me.

babyfish

Rick bose said:
So your male platy is an young teenage version of me.
Wow that is literally so funny!!!!! Are u a comedian?

Rick bose

babyfish said:
Wow that is literally so funny!!!!! Are u a comedian?
Thanks but no, I am not a comedian. But I have been told before many times that I possess a good sense of humour.

Latest threads

Top Bottom