Hello, newbie wanting to learn

Oak77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi my name is Eric. I had fish when I was in my 20’s but wasn’t very successful. I am looking forward to getting started for real this time. I should have my tank on Friday or Monday. I look forward to learning from everyone.

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore!!! Remember to do your research properly. Don't go into the hobby thinking fishes will be easy to care for. As mentioned above, start off by learning about cycling before u even consider buying your first fish.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree with all the above...welcome to fishlore! And be prepared to do research to make sure you give your future fish the best life possible. The hobby isn't necessarily difficult, but you do need to put forth effort regardless of what you desire to keep and be prepared for a disappointment or two as you learn the ropes.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, the nitrogen process is a very important step. I recommend using some of these websites- TheSprucePets and fishlore itself, I find these websites contain a lot of info and quality information. Also if you were wondering about what size tank, it is, in theory, harder to keep a small tank rather than keeping a "larger" tank. If you don't have a lot of money go for a 20-30 gallon. Now if you have a little more money go for a 40-55 gallon. My recommendation size tank for a beginner is a 20 long or a 40-gallon bredder. Now for some beginner fish- If you have a High PH above 7.5 I would go for mollies, female betta, platys, swordtails, or fancy goldfish. If you have a medium ph 6.5-7.5, certain species of corydoras catfish, Again a betta preferably a female as they are less aggressive, glowlight tetras, black neon tetra, gold barbs, white cloud mountain minnows, black skirt tetras, zebra danios, bristle nose pleco, cherry barbs, kuhli loach, harlequin rasbora, or a single angelfish. Keep in mind only certain fish can live together, and certain fish need certain care, some need different temperature water, some need sand, some need gravel, some need more meat than plant matter, some need more plant matter than meat, etc. Also to test PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia us an API liquid test kit.

Oak77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asomeone said:
Weclome! Please ensure you read into the nitrogen cycle and understand all the aspects of the FW world.
Thanks to all for the welcome!!
Asomeone, I have been reading a lot and have a great LFS. Yes I have learned about the nitrogen cycle. At least as much as I can without having a setup yet.

MrFishkeeper1 said:
Yes, the nitrogen process is a very important step. I recommend using some of these websites- TheSprucePets and fishlore itself, I find these websites contain a lot of info and quality information. Also if you were wondering about what size tank, it is, in theory, harder to keep a small tank rather than keeping a "larger" tank. If you don't have a lot of money go for a 20-30 gallon. Now if you have a little more money go for a 40-55 gallon. My recommendation size tank for a beginner is a 20 long or a 40-gallon bredder. Now for some beginner fish- If you have a High PH above 7.5 I would go for mollies, female betta, platys, swordtails, or fancy goldfish. If you have a medium ph 6.5-7.5, certain species of corydoras catfish, Again a betta preferably a female as they are less aggressive, glowlight tetras, black neon tetra, gold barbs, white cloud mountain minnows, black skirt tetras, zebra danios, bristle nose pleco, cherry barbs, kuhli loach, harlequin rasbora, or a single angelfish. Keep in mind only certain fish can live together, and certain fish need certain care, some need different temperature water, some need sand, some need gravel, some need more meat than plant matter, some need more plant matter than meat, etc. Also to test PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia us an API liquid test kit.
I already bought all my stuff when my LFS had a sale for their 20th anniversary. They set me up with water conditioner, API quick start, test strips. They will also test my water for free. I would have loved to get a bigger tank because I did read that larger tanks are easier to take care of but I live in a condo and space is limited. I bought a Fluval Vista 23 gallon. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. I bought some danios, cory doras, and tetras along with some easy beginner plants. Per LFS I will put danios in first, check water after a week, add tetras, check water, and then cory's.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oak77 said:
I already bought all my stuff when my LFS had a sale for their 20th anniversary. They set me up with water conditioner, API quick start, test strips. They will also test my water for free. I would have loved to get a bigger tank because I did read that larger tanks are easier to take care of but I live in a condo and space is limited. I bought a Fluval Vista 23 gallon. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. I bought some danios, cory doras, and tetras along with some easy beginner plants. Per LFS I will put danios in first, check water after a week, add tetras, check water, and then cory's.
Cycling a tank before you put fish in it takes an average of 4 weeks. Be sure to read up on the nitrogen cycle. Cycling a tank involves growing two types of bacteria that will oxidize the ammonia and nitrites produced by fish waste and any other organic material (fish food, dead plant waste etc.) that decomposes in a tank. These bacteria are among the slowest growing bacteria there are (that's why it takes so long). If you cycle a tank without fish in it you completely eradicate the risk of killing your fish with their own waste byproducts. Fishless cycling has other benefits as well. You can cycle a tank with fish in it (I personally don't recommend doing it that way). Experts on this site can help you do it either way.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!! Lots of great people here willing to help :). Get ready to enjoy your fish. If as you stated your going with a fish in cycling you will need to do a lot of water changes and water tests. Make sure the strip tests test ammonia/nitrite and nitrate. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome aboard. This is a very fun, family friendly sight.
1 thing to remember, "there are no stupid questions " Like teachers have always said. We we're all beginners once. So ask lots of questions. Also keep things simple at first. What I mean is things like the nitrogen cycle.... you can read a hundred page book on it and come away more confused. All you really need to know is fish produce waste (ammonia)feeding the bacteria who turn that wast into nitrates which are then removed by weekly water changes.

See simple. Most of all enjoy this hobby of ours.

Oak77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dave125g said:
Welcome aboard. This is a very fun, family friendly sight.
1 thing to remember, "there are no stupid questions " Like teachers have always said. We we're all beginners once. So ask lots of questions. Also keep things simple at first. What I mean is things like the nitrogen cycle.... you can read a hundred page book on it and come away more confused. All you really need to know is fish produce waste (ammonia)feeding the bacteria who turn that wast into nitrates which are then removed by weekly water changes.

See simple. Most of all enjoy this hobby of ours.
[/QU

Oak77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks to everyone for welcoming me. I got my tank last Friday. Started setting it up Saturday. I didn't think about having to soak the wood that I bought. I have been soaking the wood since Saturday afternoon. It still floats. Rinsed all the Seachem Flourite and river rock substrate and added a couple rocks to the tank. I do have Clear H2O. Looking forward to getting some plants and fish in there.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oak77 said:
Thanks to everyone for welcoming me. I got my tank last Friday. Started setting it up Saturday. I didn't think about having to soak the wood that I bought. I have been soaking the wood since Saturday afternoon. It still floats. Rinsed all the Seachem Flourite and river rock substrate and added a couple rocks to the tank. I do have Clear H2O. Looking forward to getting some plants and fish in there.
Boiling your wood is faster. It will kill any critters hiding in there, and your wood will sink with no need to weigh it down. Clear H20 doesn't necessarily mean fish safe. Get some baseline perameters from your tap. That way your not confused during the cycling process.

Most I'm important of all. Post some pictures lol. We love pictures here on fishlore.

MEWaters

Valued Member
Reaction score
patience is key, especially with a new tank
as mentioned numerous time i also recommend cycling your tank before adding fish
you said you didn't have success in the past, start off on a strong foot and establish that tank first
you will spend more time enjoying it vs troubleshooting it
have fun!!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with above. It is hard looking at an empty tank for weeks at a time. But as stated patients.

Oak77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well it's been a week. Still trying to get the wood to sink. Boiling it as I type. Anxious to get something in there. The good thing about this though is I've learned a lot about fish in the process.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oak77 said:
Well it's been a week. Still trying to get the wood to sink. Boiling it as I type. Anxious to get something in there. The good thing about this though is I've learned a lot about fish in the process.
I got tired of trying to make my wood sink. I finaly just let it float in the tank until it sank on it's own...are you cycling your tank fishless with ammonia or fishfood?

Oak77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Momgoose56 said:
I got tired of trying to make my wood sink. I finaly just let it float in the tank until it sank on it's own...are you cycling your tank fishless with ammonia or fishfood?
I don't have any fish in the tank yet. I bought them already but they are still at the store. I purchased everything weeks ago when they were having a 20th anniversary sale. I plan to use API quick start. That's what the LFS suggested to use.

I'm going to add the plants first, then bring the water in to have them test it weekly and add fish slowly. This is at the recommendation of my LFS.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oak77 said:
I don't have any fish in the tank yet. I bought them already but they are still at the store. I purchased everything weeks ago when they were having a 20th anniversary sale. I plan to use API quick start. That's what the LFS suggested to use.

I'm going to add the plants first, then bring the water in to have them test it weekly and add fish slowly. This is at the recommendation of my LFS.
You CAN cycle your tank with pure ammonia and not risk the fish going through all the pH and chemical upheaval that occurs during cycling, plus, cycling fishless with ammonia, you would only have to do a tiny fraction of the water changes you'll have to do with fish in the tank during the weeks it takes to cycle.

MEWaters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oak77 said:

at a week - what are parameters?
did you add fish food or ammonia or just water?
you said plan to start quick start - at a week, why haven't you already?
fish-less cycles take longer, but they are more humane - especially if you aren't frequently monitoring the tank
eta - you should get a test kit not strips, they are under the cost of a stocked tank.. do the math

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom