Hello! New to this site...

1. G

Gozeedos Valued Member Member

Hi Everyone!
    It is nice to find a site that I can ask questions and learn through experienced fish keepers as I know none personally. I am fortunate that we have a local long standing fish supply store here and this has been my main source of help and information as we have progressed through the last four years or so. We still have sooooo much to learn though! We have had Beta fish and even a rescue red eared slider (from a parking lot) who we kept for over a year. she outgrew her tank and she went to live with a friend who has owned and kept turtles for 30 years. She now lives in a pond and is very happy there!

We decided we wanted to keep fish so our first aquarium was our 20 gallon. We started it right.....gravel....filter....heater...decor.....everything we were supposed to have. Stocked with feeder gold fish...which did not make it in the long hall....as expected. After the tank was "seasoned" we purchased our first fish...phantom glassy catfish...rainbows....neons...and eventually had guppies who taught us all about live birth. We did our water changes and tested the water ect......So we decided we were ready to move up.

Shopping at the fish store looking for a reasonable size tank to have a nice variety of fish...We came home with 150 gallon tank because we got such a great deal on it!!! LOL!! I have not regretted it as I love to watch the fish and I do most of the maintenance with help of course. My style of fish keeping has been do the maintenance and when I run into a problem ie ammonia or nitrite or ph.....I would run down to the fish store with my water and have them test it and tell me how to fix it. This is how I have been operating so far.....run into a problem......run to fish store.....fix it.... Well now I have just lost my fish Spike (who at this moment I cannot remember his species name) and I have lost many fish along the way. It has dawned on me that maybe I need to be proactive in learning how to operate the tank independent of the fish store...It has been kinda like driving with a permit!

I am now understanding that the under gravel power head system is just not cutting it! I need to put in a full service canister filter (which I have known but kept putting it off) I currently have a build up of waste down in the gravel bed which I have started working on through weekly smaller water changes and adding waste remover. Monitoring the ammonia....ph....nitrite levels daily. I also think I have tooo much gravel in the tank and could take out some.

So that's what brings me looking for a site like this. I take owning and caring for pets very seriously and do not wish to inflict harm on them due to lack of understanding. I am excited to be here and will be reading the posts and catching up and learning how to navigate the site. Helpful comments are always well received and I look forward to getting to know everyone......

2. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Wecome to Fishlore

:;hi1Well how do you do! I also saved a red slider, but realizing it would be happier in a pond I took it to The Self Realization Center in Malibu where there are Geese, ducks, and carp and yes red sliders. You have me beat on the tank size. I have 7 tanks ranging from 3 gallons to 100 gallons.

Anyway it is nice to meet you, yes, you do need a canister, and go buy and API water test kit so the store doesn't have to test your water anymore (if you haven't already). I look forward to finding out what kind of fish you have.... come back soon.;):;hurryb

3. Fall River

Fall River Valued Member Member

Hi and welcome!!
    A canister filter is a must for your tank IMO. A sump system will also help a lot. It'll increase your water volume, helping to stabilize water parameters.
    I also agree emphatically with Wendy on the API freshwater test kit. Knowing whats going on in your tank, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, will greatly reduce your fish loss.
    Ask all the questions you need to, we're here to help (you AND your fish). :)

4. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks for the welcome.....I do use the master test kit now and have for some time. I was referring to the early days of the aquarium. I still do ask the fish store for help when I run into a problem and I usually learn how to use another water conditioner. I feel like I have learned more about science since learning how to manage water quality in my tank LOL! I am working on getting a fluval canister filter......waiting for tax return :;eye

5. OP
    OP
    G

Wendy.....Our Red Ear Slider was named "Girlfriend".....We were leaving a restaurant one evening and this man had almost run over her. We had our son with us who was about 13 at the time.....We ran down to the pet store not sure what kind of turtle she was and left with a tank.... lights.... food... a landing......a print out of care instructions. Well I guess kind of over fed her because she grew a lot and got to the point where she swamped her perch....could not really turn easily in the tank ect....Our friend was very nice to let her go live in his pond....it is not a huge pond....it is a back yard pond he had made just for the turtles........She laid eggs the next year....I will post a picture of her soon

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    Carol

7. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore:;hi2

8. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Hi and welcome !!!

It's a great place for advice and information.

9. ryanr

ryanr Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome :;hi2

10. Brainlady

Brainlady Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FL!!

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here.