Hello, new to the forum and fish care!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Ay1a, Apr 6, 2010.

1. A

Ay1a Valued Member Member

:;hi2 Hi everyone! Pretty new to the forum and fish care, have been browsing for a while and I finally joined! The community seems great and I'm glad to be part of it. My tank is finally done with the nitrogen cycle so I will be adding fish soon but I just have one question... my tank is only 10 gallons and I was wondering if I would be able to hold a small Oscar in there with maybe a few friendly community fish because I like how a lot of Oscars look. :)
    And if I can get the fish care down my dad will let me buy a new tank but first I need to get my first 10 gallon tank in gear. So yup just wanted to say hi to everyone and hopefully some of you experienced members can help out on my first question. :D
    Take care everyone.

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore. I'm afraid that an oscar will not work in a 10, sorry.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ahh, okay. :(
    Thanks for the welcome though. :)

4. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi and Welcome to Fishlore, you will find this to be very useful to you. As for your first question, I am sure everyone will answer the way Meenu did....Sorry....

5. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks, and yeah I tried using Google to see if there were any small Oscars and came up pretty empty handed so I guess I'll have to wait and try out a bigger tank one day so I can get a Oscar. But thanks for the greeting. :)

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

7. Dandee

Dandee New Member Member

Welcome to the forum :;hi2

8. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

welcome aboard :)

9. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks everyone, glad to be here. Just lurking around the Betta forums now. :;nin2
    Looking to find a good first Freshwater fish for my tank for tomorrow.

10. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore.

Some good starter fish that are pretty hardy and can handle the rough life of a new tank are...
    -Mollys
    -Platys
    -Swordtails
    -Larger tetras (neons and glolight are not good to start with they often don't make it too long in a new tank)
    -Barbs (be careful what type you get some barbs can be quite mean, mainly talking about tiger barbs)
    -Danios (including glofish)

Personally I'd reccomend danios or barbs because generally most mollys, platys and swords end up around 1.5 inches to 2 inches and in my opinion they do better in 20 gallons or more.

Keep in mind I'm currently bring a hypocrit right now as I have balloon mollys in a 10 gallon and they've been doing fine but I plan to move them up soon.

Have you had any fish that you've been wanting to eventually get or hope to get, other than the oscar of coarse they're way to dirty and get way to big for a 10 gallon.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Well I think I've decided on a Betta fish just to start out so if I do mess up I won't be harming a lot of fish, so I'm pretty set on that. I will be looking at a male probably because I read that they tend to have more color and they look nicer overall. So if you can, I'll take any Betta advice I can get (I've read a lot of stuff on these forums so far) but I'm willing to get as much help as possible.

12. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello & Welcome to Fishlore!

Betta is a good choice for your 10g. :)

In the future you can plan on getting a 75g for that Oscar you want! ;D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting one very soon!
    ;D

14. e_watson09

bettas are very nice fish, when they are in a filtered tank they are much more active than they are in the little bowls you buy them from at the pet stores so keep that in mind when purchasing. Other than that they're pretty simple to keep I think every fish person on here has had one atleast once in their life.

They really like bloodworms but make sure if you're feed them freeze dried you soak them first. Although frozen is much healthier. They also make betta flake food so if you want to vary the diet (which is reccomended) then you could do flakes and then blood worms. There also are a few different betta pellets out there. I'm not really gun-ho about pellets, idk why they just don't seem as good for them. But that's just my opinion.

15. OP
    OP
    A

Yup, I really like how they look and can expand after I get this tank down. ;D

And yup, I've been reading on diets and I'll take your soaking tip into consideration when I finally decided to buy him and feed him.

Also will a LFS sell frozen worms for my Betta?
    And how long should I soak them for?

16. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fish Lore Rachel!
    I hope you enjoy the site.
    Ken

17. s

shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

18. e_watson09

The frozens you can buy in big flat packs usually they sell 4oz, 8 oz, 16 oz, and something above that and those are usually a really good deal. I'd look for the 4oz pack and get that but if they don't have it you can usually buy them in little ice cubes. But you would have to divide the cubes because one cube would feed my 50gal tank of 3parrot cichlids, 2 cribs, 3 rainbows, and 3 corys. So one cube is way too much for a single betta. It also only gives you about 2oz in the blood worms and costs you about as much as the 16oz flat pack. So go for the smallest flat pack you can find as yes this will last you forever probably. You really only need to give him a couple worms a day so a TINY corner off the flat pack. And these are usually located in a freezer near the counter if you just ask they'll show you.

Then for freeze dried just make sure you soak them until they're soft. Personally I just get a cup and fill it with a little aquarium water and then drop a few pieces in and once its softened up just dump it back in the aquarium. Once again 2 to 3 worms is probably all they'll need per feeding.

19. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Another option for the presoak is to soak in garlic juice. Garlic is a natural immune system booster, and really good for the fish - plus they love the taste. Most people just buy a jar of minced garlic from the grocery store and use drops of the juice out of that to soak food in. Mine doesn't have the juice, so I take a little medicine cup I pilfered from a Nyquil bottle, put the bloodworms in with a couple of chunks of the garlic, and then add a little tank water. I let it soak for about 10 minutes and then dump the worms in. The fish go crazy over that treat. :)

20. OP
    OP
    A

That garlic idea sounds great, thank you for it!
    And back to you e_watson.. yup I read that he should get either 6-8 pellets a day or 4-6 bloodworms so everyone here sure knows what they're talking about so thank you to everyone for the advice and I'll be checking up here for some more soon!
    Thanks again everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice