Hello, new tank and new owner. 50 Gallon Tank

1. BrocksFish Initiate Member

Hello there, everyone!

I got my 52 gallon (198 litre) flat back hexagonal tank a few weeks ago, we got our water tested 7 days ago at the local aquarium, it was horrible. So, we put goldfish infor the past 7 days, been adding bacta-boost and the water turned out perfect.

I got my fish today. I have 4 angelfish, 1 red-tailed black shark, 2 bristlenose catfish, 4 rummy-nose tetras, 4 red-eyed tetras, 2 congo tetras (I think), and 2 mystery tetras I don't know what they are. Hopefully you could help, it will be in a different thread.

So, being on this website, I can get help from aquarists without going to the local aquarium everyday for help. It'll save time. :;f

Thanks, and great to be on FishLore Forums.

Regards,
    Brock.

2. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

did you buy all those fish at the same time? i'd suggest introducing fish species at a time.

3. BrocksFish Initiate Member

Yes, I put them all in at the same time.

It might cause problems now that you've informed me, but they are all doing good. The only problem is my bigger angelfish is attacking my smaller angelfish.

Regards,
    Brock.

4. David C Well Known Member Member

Here is some good reading, you definitely need to understand the nitrogen cycle. I'm sure others will be along shortly with some more reading, the more you know the easier fish keeping is. The reason you typically add only one species at a time is to give you system time to allow for the new inhabitants.

Nitrogen Cycle

Welcome to Fishlore!

Dave

5. freak78 Well Known Member Member

Yeah that's alot of fish to add at one time. Do you have enough filtration?

6. BrocksFish Initiate Member

Well, not to be man or in anyway, but i've already put the fish in, so it's too late to be telling me this.

That's for the editing welcome as well. :)

Regards,
    Brock.

Edit : I also wanted to say, these are all babies. Not full grown 25cm fish, so the filtration should be fine. If I need help from my local aquarist, i'll call him.

7. akamel Member Member

:;rockercongrats on your new fish !! I just went out and got some for my 10 gal. The hubby will be surprised !!

8. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Welcome!! I have had some trouble with angelfish aggression too...I had 9 in my 55 with 1 of them much bigger than the others..she killed all the rest of them. I would just keep an eye out on them...good luck!

9. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

keep the tank heavily planted. tall plants do best. also, large rocks are great for plecos, and wood should be added as plecos snack on them.

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

Many of us have been where you are, the good part is now you are in the right place. We have a lot of members with vast fish keeping experience and knowledge. Do you have some water conditioner and a test kit? The best thing for you to do right now is keep a close watch on your water parameters and watch the fish for aggression. Daily partial water changes with conditioner will help if the water params are not good. Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites should be 0 and Nitrates below 40. Hang in there and keep reading around the forum. Good Luck

11. BrocksFish Initiate Member

There has been aggression. My big angelfish is chasing my small angelfish if the small one comes too close.