Hello, new here. Getting back into the hobby after 20 years

BluMan1914

Hello everyone.
After 20 years of not having an aquarium, my wife surprised me with a 55 gallon tank, with nothing else to go with it, so I am going to piece it together slowly. So much has changed, since my last tank I had. Especially with how aquariums are cycled. Some of you old timers know what I mean. I never knew anything about nitrites and nitrates. My main concern was temperature and pH balance. I first started with a 10 gallon starter tank, ended up with 10 gallon as well as two 20L. Wanted bigger but didn't have the room. Another big difference is filtration. I use to run a Magnum 350 on one of my 20's (overkill, I know), and the water quality was unmatched. So clean and clear, the water had a bluish tint to it. Only used the sleeve, chemi-pure, as well as high grade carbon. Rarely had to do a water change, pH very rarely got out of balance. This time around I will incorporate some old school techniques with some new things I have learned for cycling my 55.
Long read, thanks for hanging in there.!!!!!
My plans for my 55:
Current Satellite LED's with a glass top.
Marineland cf400 filter. Want to over filter, I will overstock just a little. Will use it as mechanical and chemical. Using, floss, chemi-pure, and high grade carbon.
Black sand.
Slate background, and driftwood. Slate will also be used for caves and hiding places.
Still in the air if it will be planted.
(Still with me?)
Fish that I want: just a start:
10 Rummy Nose
10 Tiger Barbs
7 Celebes Rainbows
4 Cory cats
2 male Kribs as center pieces.
I look forward to getting everything setup, and for now enjoying hunting down all of my equipment.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
I welcome all comments, suggestions, and questions.

Anders247

Welcome to fishlore!
What type of cories? I'd add 1-2 more of the same type.

BluMan1914

JuliI is my first choice, then albinos. But thinking the albino may look better on the black sand.

BluMan1914

Hello Anders and thanks for replying

el337

Hello and welcome! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Anders247

OK, do albinos. They can handle the higher temps kribs need. Juliis can't.
No problem!

BluMan1914

Thanks Anders. I believe I will love the look of the albinos on the black sand.

BluMan1914

Hello El. I am starting to enjoy the forum, and already getting good ideas.

Genavelle

For black sand, I personally got like a 50 lb bag of Black Diamond Blasting Sand from Tractor Supply Co, and it was pretty cheap. So I don't know if you've found your sand yet, but thought I'd throw that out there!

BluMan1914

Hello Genavelle and thanks for replying . No I haven't picked up my sand. Heard good things about BDB, but not looking for the gloss of it. The more I read about pool filter sand, the more I like it, especially for the Corys. But, if you think BDB is better, please tell me why. I am very open.
Thanks.

TexasDomer

Hello Genavelle and thanks for replying . No I haven't picked up my sand. Heard good things about BDB, but not looking for the gloss of it. The more I read about pool filter sand, the more I like it, especially for the Corys. But, if you think BDB is better, please tell me why. I am very open.
Thanks.

If you're going with albino cories, go for black sand (BDBS), not pool filter sand (which is white/very light tan). The cories will stand out much better!

BluMan1914

Hello and good evening TexasDomer. After more research, I will more than likely go with the BDBS 30/60 grit. I like the finer grit. Only concern is will it be to light and will get turned up.

TexasDomer

Hello and good evening TexasDomer. After more research, I will more than likely go with the BDBS 30/60 grit. I like the finer grit. Only concern is will it be to light and will get turned up.

I have the medium grit with no issues, but others with the finer grit can chime in!

Bithimala

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby! I think the albino cories will look great on the black substrate, but can't comment on the grit level, as I've never used it.

aliray

I also wanted to say welcome back. I also came back after a long absence and wow did things change. I got my first guppy tank at age 8 or 9 . that was 61 years ago and then kept fish on and off. Considering how we used to keep them compared to today, I have no idea how they survived, but they did. Alison

BluMan1914

TexasDomer..thanks for letting me know the medium is OK for the Corys.
Bithimala..hello, and thanks for welcoming me. I am very excited to get back into the hobby, it's been way to long.
Aliray..hello, and thanks for the welcome as well. I am 46, and started at about the same age as yourself. You are absolutely right about the difference in the way fish are kept. I remember setting up my 10 gallon starter, and putting fish in after only 3 days of it up and running. Started with 3 Zebras only, how they survived, still amazes me. They even moved over to my 20L. Had them for years, right along with a Counterfeit Silver Dollar that I kept for 8 yrs. So much has changed.

gatekeeper

welcome back to the hobby. I just returned after long absence and this hobby has really changed.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom