Hello, new guy here looking to learn

FishDiddy

Hello,

Brand new guy! I have been lurking here for a day and I am really excited about the community here. My daughter is really into fish and she invited me here, her screen name is abbyharrell. She has been reading a lot lately and she's learning quite a bit about aquarium fish. Both of us are discovering the mounds of information that come with this hobby and I think we both find it extremely interesting. She has a Betta named Leo that she loves and she has decided that she wants more fish in a bigger aquarium. She ran it past me and I am excited about the idea, but my idea was a little different than her's.

I have had aquariums over the years a few times but they were fresh water aquariums. I always wanted a salt water aquarium but I was scared of them and money was also a concern. I am still nervous about a salt water aquarium, but at least I can afford it now. We have decided that we want to do a salt water aquarium and we are fortunate to have a few salt water aquarium stores close to us. We went to one yesterday and had a great experience, I think we are gonna try to do a saltwater tank.

The main question that I have is how big of a tank do I need? I realize the bigger the better, but we lack space. The space we have picked out is only about 28" in width but I have plenty of height. Would a 24, 30, or 40 Gallon work? I have read some different things about the size of the tank, I just don't want to cause issues right out of the gate because our tank is too small. Must we have a holding tank? I think that's what you call it. Both of us would rather go freshwater if our space is too small for a saltwater tank, we want it to be a healthy place for everything that lives in the tank. Also, we understand a saltwater tank requires maintenance as they all do, but we don't want to cause ourselves problems because the tank is too small. We are both thinking a FOWLR set up and a couple clownfish are the two fish we know that we want to start with.

We appreciate any thoughts or comments and thanks for letting us be a part of what looks to be an awesome community.

BradleyH2O

Welcome to the forum bro :) It seems like you’re definitely on the right path as far as wanting to research, do your project right and not cause yourself or your fish family any issues. Respect!

Personally, 75g would be the minimum tank size that I would attempt a saltwater tank, but that’s just me. In my experience, smaller tanks can have problems catch fire much faster than a larger tank. I know a lot of people are doing smaller or even nano salt tanks, these days but I’m kind of old school and haven’t had a saltwater tank in about 25 years. I’m definitely not brushed up on the latest technology regarding a saltwater tank.

I’m sure the fine folks here will help move you in the right direction.

ProudPapa

I know nothing about saltwater tanks, but welcome to the forum.

FishDiddy

Welcome to the forum bro :) It seems like you’re definitely on the right path as far as wanting to research, do your project right and not cause yourself or your fish family any issues. Respect!

Personally, 75g would be the minimum tank size that I would attempt a saltwater tank, but that’s just me. In my experience, smaller tanks can have problems catch fire much faster than a larger tank. I know a lot of people are doing smaller or even nano salt tanks, these days but I’m kind of old school and haven’t had a saltwater tank in about 25 years. I’m definitely not brushed up on the latest technology regarding a saltwater tank.

I’m sure the fine folks here will help move you in the right direction.
Thanks man, I appreciate the warm welcome. That is my concern, I want their environment to be a very healthy one, in turn it will provide a stress free environment for us too. I had heard you need a larger tank for salt water, I am hoping things have changed. Thanks though for your thoughts and the warm welcome.
I know nothing about saltwater tanks, but welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

betta06

welcome to fishlore!

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom