Hello! New 50 gallon tank questions.

harleygrooo

I recently got a new 50 gallon, it’s used and quite old. It needs some tlc. I found some minor chips on the outside glass(posted below), are they going to cause any chance of cracking or leaking or should I fill them with silicone or bondo? The stuff bellow it is just scotch tape.

the spot that worries me the most is this section:

there was a piece of wood lodged 1/3 of the way in. I was told bondo or silicone should help prevent any chance of it opening up more.
Side note, how does one get this white build up off the inside? And before anyone points it out, the inside might need resealing.

Note: I only paid 10 bucks for it, I mainly wanted the drift wood and other features it had. Like air stones, sponge filter. Everything works fine just needs a good cleaning.

And how the heck do you clean off the white smudges on the inside, I might try a vinegar Solution.

LeviS

That middle picture. It will probably fail at some point. Others may chime in but once filled with water it could hold water for an hour or 2 weeks.

harleygrooo

LeviS said:
That middle picture. It will probably fail at some point. Others may chime in but once filled with water it could hold water for an hour or 2 weeks.
I might need to get a better picture, the chip is less than a meter, but in the 3rd picture it chipped to the left of the corner so it looks deeper than it is. I let it sit with water to test and it lasted a day, so far no leaks. I left it in my basement just in case it does open haha

LeviS said:
I just had someone inform me of something they did, they glued two 3/4 aluminum corners onto their tank sides. It’s a 120 and it’s been fine for years. They did something similar but with plastic corners on the inside. They didn’t want to redo the silicone so they decided to just siliconed the plastic corners on the inside. My tanks bottom seals are fine, and supposedly it adds reinforcements to the corners.

Pfrozen

you are living on the edge lol. that's super questionable. can you at least put it in your basement or something, like 3 feet from a floor drain?

harleygrooo

Pfrozen said:
you are living on the edge lol. that's super questionable. can you at least put it in your basement or something, like 3 feet from a floor drain?
It’s directly over a floor drain haha! I’ve been getting a lot of mixed opinions on other forums X.x! The chip is barely under the 1/8th mark On the deepest edge of glass, and under on the Front most section.

Pfrozen

harleygrooo said:
It’s directly over a floor drain haha! I’ve been getting a lot of mixed opinions on other forums X.x! The chip is barely under the 1/8th mark On the deepest edge of glass, and under on the Front most section.
If its over a drain then go for it lol, just be prepared to move the fish if it leaks. at least it wont flood your house

harleygrooo

Pfrozen said:
If its over a drain then go for it lol, just be prepared to move the fish if it leaks. at least it wont flood your house
It’s empty! I just got it for 10 bucks, it had brand new pretty much everything besides filter. It was more a future project tank. The sticker near the chip is actually a good reference to the depth of the chip, the chip is a hair deeper. The part that worries me is the seal, supposedly filling it will work it scares me lol.

harleygrooo

Good news: tank hasn’t leaked two nights in a row. The white stains are still present as I’ve yet to figure out how to clean them properly. I’m going to test the Metal corner Support idea people have suggested. Would anyone want to see how it goes?

Fisch

harleygrooo said:
Good news: tank hasn’t leaked two nights in a row. The white stains are still present as I’ve yet to figure out how to clean them properly. I’m going to test the Metal corner Support idea people have suggested. Would anyone want to see how it goes?
Sure...always open to learn from other forum member mistakes

harleygrooo

Fisch said:
Sure...always open to learn from other forum member mistakes
Would it be a mistake if it’s for educational purposes and or experiment? I got the tank for cheap so might as well do something with it haha!

I’m just curious on how some of these people keep larger chips from not causing anymore damage. I’ve saw a tank with a chip 1/4 of the way in the seam and they just used bondo and silicone and somehow hasn’t cracked or sprung a leak in 12 years. One dude siliconed two 3/4 plastic angles on the inside corner after he chipped a 75.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom