Hello it's me ... here is what I hope to do

JohnnyReefNoob

JohnnyReefNoob. Appropriately named, no tank yet. Planning, reading, learning.
Goals:
1. RODI purchase and mount
2. Mixing, storage, wc setup
3. Quarantine/treatment tank purchase and equip, 20 gallon, HOB, (cure dry rock in this before livestock and when not using as Q/T.)
4. Display Refugium/livestock acclimation/transition tank setup, 30 gallon, large HOB, w/ macroalgae, cuc inverts, small fish.
5. First display tank setup 60 gallon, sump, w/ macroalgae, cuc, mixed reef, small fish.
6. Second display tank setup 120 gallon, sump, w/ macroalgae, red mangrove, cuc, mixed reef, small fish, erectus seahorses.

Also building custom stands to order (including my own).

Persontheperson

Ok first off.
if you are beginning stick to softies and maybe some lps like blastos.DO NOT DO ANEMONES. They move on their own and will sting everything in sight. Secondly, seahorses will not thrive in reef environments. third, what fish are you planning. Dont go damsel they arent the nicest. No designer clowns in the first one, because if the tank crashes for new tank syndrome, you lose a whopping ton of money. Fourth, research the specific fish species thoroughly. fifth, introduce livestock slowly.

Also, RO DI units arent necesary, but appreciated

WRWAquarium

Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing your dive into marine setups go forward :)

Sounds like you've done your research well and have a good plan. You are going to need deep pockets and allot of spare time but will be worth it I'm sure.

Worth investing in protein skimmers if you haven't planned that allready.

Stick to Hardy and easy/cheap fish corals to start. Just as above when your paying over the top prices it can start to get expensive fast losing them. Things like pulsing xenia, hammers, mushrooms, Duncans. Cardinal fish, tomato/common clown, damsels.

JohnnyReefNoob

I am still a long way from buying anything yet, much less livestock. My first goal begins in mid-November. My first display tank will probably be assembled ~2 years after that.
In the meantime, I will be reading, learning, asking questions, and refining plans.
Every one of the multitude of choices we make in this hobby impacts yet another multitude of considerations going forward. I am in no hurry.
Ok first off.
if you are beginning stick to softies and maybe some lps like blastos.DO NOT DO ANEMONES. They move on their own and will sting everything in sight. Secondly, seahorses will not thrive in reef environments. third, what fish are you planning. Dont go damsel they arent the nicest. No designer clowns in the first one, because if the tank crashes for new tank syndrome, you lose a whopping ton of money. Fourth, research the specific fish species thoroughly. fifth, introduce livestock slowly.

Also, RO DI units arent necesary, but appreciated
RODI is a must for me. Clean water from the beginning is fundamental.
Seahorses are last on the list for lots of reasons. I may by then decide not to go that direction. Those who keep them successfully (especially dwarfs) have my respect and admiration.
But I disagree that they cannot thrive in a reef tank if given enough space and compatible tankmates. Thus a second didplay tank.
A few degrees lower temperature only slows down the metabolism, it doesn't stop it. And that includes diseases and parasites also.

Persontheperson

Sea horses arent demanding. A sponge filter, a heater and a 5 gallon tank is enough for dwarfs. Plus you can add some soft corals too. Reef tanks aren’t suitable because of their flow which Will whack the sea horses and be out competed for food. Even smaller fish like gobies can outcompete sea horses. It is possible, but it’s so risky and won’t thrive. Best in a species only tank. Can you please tell me you stock list?

JohnnyReefNoob

The demanding part of dwarfs is their need for live food 3 times a day, their propensity to mate, and the "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" obligation to rear fry. I am a long way from retirement, so I won't be able to dedicate the necessary time. But I did think about it, researched it, and decided to pass.
As far as flow and erectus, I think I can design flow patterns in a sufficiently sized tank with aquascaping and macroalgae to provide them a comfortable and navigable space, and with livestock feeding management can sufficiently reduce their competition for food.
No, I can't provide a stocking list ... yet. I am a long long way from stocking that (or any other) tank. I have 3 other tanks to build, equip, establish and stock before then.
The Q/T tank won't always have occupants, and the Display Refugium will be mostly transitional, but even so, the 24" cube DT stocking will happen before the larger DT which may or may not by then host seahorses.
I have changed my thinking on the tank geometries... I am thinking now that the progression will be 16" cube Q/T, 20" cube Refugium, 24" cube DT #1, and 28" cube DT #2. I sincerely doubt I will ever manage the next progression beyond those.

Persontheperson

Ok, keep me updated :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
matsungit
Replies
Views
utkgreg
Replies
Views
AbeTheMudokon