10 Gallon Tank Hello! Incoming Newcomer to FishLore!

CatLaFae

Member
Good morning/afternoon/evening all! I am new to this forum, which was recommended to me by a friend who shares my love of Aquarium keeping and thought this site would be a good place for me! I am, at the end of the day, a fairly amateur fish keeper, but I like to think I'm always learning and gaining experience in how to keep my finned friends happy and healthy.

I currently have a Betta named Skittles who I've had for about a year and a half in a ten gallon set-up with heat and filtration, and recently introduced a mystery snail buddy I've named Lightning. They get along swimmingly! Currently I have silk plants in the tank, but am looking to swap over to live plants next week! Looking forward to having you all along on my fishkeeping journey, and hope to be able to contribute more as my knowledge grows!
 

StinkyLoaf

Member
Welcome to Fishlore! :happy:

I’m almost five years into the hobby and I only just got my first live plants yesterday, funny enough. I can’t say I’ve ever had luck with silk plants, but I must admit that they do look very natural. Your substrate appears to be a fine gravel of some sort, perfect for root-feeding plants such as cryptocoryne and amazon swords (the latter resembles the current silk plants you are using). Do you know of any plants (or even animals) you might fancy getting? Is there any advice you would like?
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
  • Thread Starter

CatLaFae

Member
CrustyDusty said:
Welcome to Fishlore! :happy:

I’m almost five years into the hobby and I only just got my first live plants yesterday, funny enough. I can’t say I’ve ever had luck with silk plants, but I must admit that they do look very natural. Your substrate appears to be a fine gravel of some sort, perfect for root-feeding plants such as cryptocoryne and amazon swords (the latter resembles the current silk plants you are using). Do you know of any plants (or even animals) you might fancy getting? Is there any advice you would like?
Hey, thank you for your reply! I have a nicrew plus LED light which supposedly is decent as far as low tech type setups go, bought it and about half the amount of seachem fluorite black substrate I'd need for a planted tank right before the pandemic hit which sadly put those plans on hold until now! I've decided to go ahead with things next week though. I've been considering whether my substrate choice was a good one, or whether it would be better to switch to something like caribsea eco complete? And which types of plants would be good for either or? This could probably be it's own post but if you have any tidbits for me here it would be so appreciated! Thanks again so much for your response!
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Welcome! We like fish and bettas, here! Also a lot of mystery snail fans as well!
Awesome! So excited to chat with you all!!!
 

StinkyLoaf

Member
CatLaFae said:
Hey, thank you for your reply! I have a nicrew plus LED light which supposedly is decent as far as low tech type setups go, bought it and about half the amount of seachem fluorite black substrate I'd need for a planted tank right before the pandemic hit which sadly put those plans on hold until now! I've decided to go ahead with things next week though. I've been considering whether my substrate choice was a good one, or whether it would be better to switch to something like caribsea eco complete? And which types of plants would be good for either or? This could probably be it's own post but if you have any tidbits for me here it would be so appreciated! Thanks again so much for your response!

Awesome! So excited to chat with you all!!!
Thanks!

I don’t think changing the substrate would be necessary. A fine gravel such as the one you are using is the best sort of substrate for plants.

When plants are introduced to a new environment you can expect some melting to happen over time. All you have to do is pull the melted parts off right at the base of the stem.
 
  • Thread Starter

CatLaFae

Member
CrustyDusty said:
Thanks!

I don’t think changing the substrate would be necessary. A fine gravel such as the one you are using is the best sort of substrate for plants.

When plants are introduced to a new environment you can expect some melting to happen over time. All you have to do is pull the melted parts off right at the base of the stem.
Perfect I'll just get another small bag of the stuff I have in that case! Appreciate the insight!
 

StinkyLoaf

Member
CatLaFae said:
Perfect I'll just get another small bag of the stuff I have in that case! Appreciate the insight!
It might help to decide on what plants you want right now. Are you considering plants that’ll accept root tabs or liquid fertiliser?

Your substrate is good for root feeders. I like cryptocoryne and amazon swords (as I mentioned earlier). These are hardy, beginner friendly root feeders that look WONDERFUL!
 
  • Thread Starter

CatLaFae

Member
CrustyDusty said:
It might help to decide on what plants you want right now. Are you considering plants that’ll accept root tabs or liquid fertiliser?

Your substrate is good for root feeders. I like cryptocoryne and amazon swords (as I mentioned earlier). These are hardy, beginner friendly root feeders that look WONDERFUL!
I love both these plants! I'll definitely look into picking some up next week. I'm actually a huge fan of Amazon Frogbit, and am hoping to be able to find some... I think my Betta would really enjoy it too. Banana plants are cool but I've heard they like CO2 added to the tank. Something to add a pop of colour such as red would be neat, but I haven't looked into what options I'd have for this in a more low tech situation. I'm fine with the idea of adding root tabs or liquid fertilizers, just need to be sure that whatever I use is snail-safe.
 

Dennis57

Member
Hi, and Welcome to Fishlore.

For a nice easy red plant you can try Red Tiger Lotus.
 
  • Thread Starter

CatLaFae

Member
Dennis57 said:
Hi, and Welcome to Fishlore.

For a nice easy red plant you can try Red Tiger Lotus.
That sounds wonderful, I'll look into it!!!
 

StinkyLoaf

Member
CatLaFae said:
I love both these plants! I'll definitely look into picking some up next week. I'm actually a huge fan of Amazon Frogbit, and am hoping to be able to find some... I think my Betta would really enjoy it too. Banana plants are cool but I've heard they like CO2 added to the tank. Something to add a pop of colour such as red would be neat, but I haven't looked into what options I'd have for this in a more low tech situation. I'm fine with the idea of adding root tabs or liquid fertilizers, just need to be sure that whatever I use is snail-safe.
I know nothing about Co2 systems and I don’t run one for the plants I have. Crypts and swords don’t require a Co2 system. Neither does frogbit, but frogbit does require liquid ferts as opposed to root tabs.
 
  • Thread Starter

CatLaFae

Member
Okies, I'll research into liquid ferts as well as root tabs to figure out what I should be looking to purchase for my tank. Thank you so much
 

JLAquatics

Member
Hi there, I'm glad you decided to join Fishlore! Nothing can ever beat the aesthetic of live plants in a tank! There are many great resources here on Fishlore of how to start your own planted tank, so I would definitely check those out. Also nice Snail and Betta you got there!
 
  • Thread Starter

CatLaFae

Member
JLAquatics said:
Hi there, I'm glad you decided to join Fishlore! Nothing can ever beat the aesthetic of live plants in a tank! There are many great resources here on Fishlore of how to start your own planted tank, so I would definitely check those out. Also nice Snail and Betta you got there!
As everyone can tell, I'm sure, I am super excited to get started with live plants for the first time! I'll definitely be reading all the material I can get my eyes on, and am happy to be part of such a great community of aquarium keepers.

Glad you like my snail and betta!
 

crezguy

Member
Welcome to Fishlore We are super excited for your journey
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom