Hello im new to fishlore and fish keeping. This is my journey so far..

FinFin

Hello everyone I'm new to fishlore and tropical fish keeping, I started in the hobby about 8 months ago. After much research I decided to start my aquarium with a fishless cycle. (A fish in cycle seemed cruel to me so this choice was easy.) It took a while to get ammonia and the cycle started... After a lot of youtube videos i finally I got the nitrogen cycle started and soon after i had nitrite starting to show in tests and in a few more weeks i had nitrates.

More research later I decided to get Platy fish, being described as a beginner fish I thought to start with they would be best. I went to the lsf and chose 4 platies 3 females and 1 male. Two females are orange Flipper and Gillberta the other female a blue, silver and black she's named Shimmer. And the male is a sunset red and gold named Flash. They are wonderful fish full off life and their own personalities.

Gilberta had 40ish fry just over 5 weeks ago and Flipper the younger smaller platy had 12 about a week later. I separated them into a smaller tank after reading they can eat their fry mistaking them for food. I've recently put them back in with the adults now to grow out and re-home when big enough.

I wish I knew how enjoyable this journey would have been sooner, then I would have kept fish a long time ago. I'm now researching other fish and tanks to get another bigger community tank. Because its obvious platies are going to over run this tank I definitely need another bigger tank if I want to get different fish.
20211027_191212.jpg

BigManAquatics

Welcome! And yep, the platies will overrun your tank rather quickly!

Rose of Sharon

Welcome to Fishlore! Beautiful tank! Hope you enjoy the site!

FinFin

Welcome to Fishlore! Beautiful tank! Hope you enjoy the site!
Thank you I'm sure I will enjoy it here. I'm looking forward to the plants growing and the fishies.

Welcome! And yep, the platies will overrun your tank rather quickly!
Thank you. And yes more are on the way soon Gillberta's Gravid spots are dark and showing fry are there again already.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Gudgie

Welcome to Fishlore! Lovely aquarium :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies