Hello, I'm back and setting up a new five gallon!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by lily potter1223, Jul 26, 2015.

1. lily potter1223

lily potter1223 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone!
    So... The last time I posted on fishlore was about two years ago. There are lots of new faces but also some familiar ones that I've seen so far. Two years is quite a long time and I remember that I was quite the noob when I first joined. I'm still not as experienced as most of you, but I now know a little more than before ;)

Right now I'm on vacation visiting my family in Taiwan and I saw lots of family run aquarium stores. I went in a couple and was shocked by how inexpensive everything was!! I kinda just bought everything on impulse so I'm not really sure if this stuff is good since there were no familiar brands. I got a filter, filter cartridges, plant food (tablet and liquid form), water conditioner, and a couple of decos. I haven't gotten a light or heater yet, but I will soon.

The reason I haven't gotten a heater yet is because all of them have a dial thingy to regulate the temp. I don't know if these are good (I've never used them before) and none of the stores sells the ones with the valve on top: they said they were "old fashioned" :p Has anyone used these before and are they good to use?

Has anyone used Otto water conditioner and liquid plant food? There is also this tablet plant food that I got. Anyone used it before?

And this filter? There is no brand name on it. Is it big enough for a five gallon tank? On the box it says it turns 60 gallons/hour. Not sure if its big enough...

BTW pics of everything will be in next post...

Thanks in advance!

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back! I suppose I'm a "new" face for you....
    The filter is fine for that size tank.
    Not sure on the conditioner or plant food.
    As for the heaters with dials, what do they look like? Do you know the brand of them?
    I believe I have one like you describe, they are junky and malfunction easily, I would never recommend them. Mine overheated my tank overnight and killed all 9 tetras in the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Tablet plant food 50 tabs for about 20 CAD

Water conditioner250 ml for about 3 CAD

Liquid plant fertiliser 250 ml for 3 CAD

HOB filter about 8 CAD

Cartridges for the filter2 cartridges for about 2 CAD

Haha well THAT was quick!

It was kinda like this bit with a heater attached
    Not sure what the brand is... I'm gonna go again tomorrow I think so I can check then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Never seen that type before.....
    I would get an Aqueon Pro.

5. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

The aqueon pro is probably a better choice but... It's so tempting! Only nine dollars...:drool: lol
    I will give some more info (hopefully) tomorrow about brand, ect. But if all else fails, I will go with the aqueon pro :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome back haha! So...... I must be new to you too!!! Nice to meet you!!! I'm BornThisWayBettas, Lady Gaga and betta super fan lol! But you can just call me BTWB! :)

I second getting an Aqueon Pro heater, pretty sure that's the exact one I have and I like it pretty good. :)

7. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Welcome back! I too am a new face to you.

What are you planning on stocking? Have you thought of upgrading the size of the tank so you have more options?

8. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Well I was gonna have some shrimp and a betta, but then if the betta decided the shrimp were an expensive snack, I would transfer the shrimp to my 20 gallon.
    BTW I was thinking about RCS. (actually I have my heart set on them)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

So this is the heater. I'm pretty sure the brand is... Oista? Ista? I've never heard of this brand, maybe someone else has?

It's 50 watts, that's okay for a five gallon right?

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

lily potter, welcome back and I love your avatar picture. really cute. Alison

11. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome back! I'm new too :)

I really like the design of your heater and tried to find it online. After much frustration I finally found it on Amazon listed as Ista rather than Oista. I think the latter is better because it sounds like a funny pronunciation of "oyster", which the control pad kind of resembles. They missed a marketing opportunity :p

12. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Welcome back to Fishlore! Regarding the heater, the rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon, so for a 5g youd want a 25w heater.

13. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

My room temp in my house gets pretty cold, especially iin the winter, so I thought that a 50 watt instead of 25 would be okay... Is this true? Plus its adjustable.

A question about cycling: I'm going to try a fishless cycle, because I read that it's better for the fish. But there are like five different ways to do fishless so I was wondering which one is most effective for you guys?
    XD lol yeah, that's true!

14. Bluestreakfl

I'd almost recommend 2x 25w heaters, so you can run one in warmer months, 2 in colder months, plus have a backup.

Regarding Fishless cycling, the easiest straightforward way is to use pure ammonia, and add a bottle of liquid bacteria such as Tetra Safestart, or Seachem stability. I personally use Tetras formula, it has yet to let me down. If you can get some seeded media from your local fish store, it should speed up your cycle drastically, and if they give you enough, which for a 5g wouldn't be much, you could actually instantly cycle your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

I have some (lots actually) of extra filter floss in my 20 gallon tank that I could use. But would I have to add the fish right away after I add the floss so that the bacteria don't die? I would think so, but not really sure.

Also, I wanted to have shrimp and betta, so I was thinking of adding the shrimp before the betta, but shrimp are fragile to water quality changes. But, I was also thinking of adding some more danios or guppies to my 20, so maybe since they're hardy fish I could use them to properly cycle the 5 before adding the shrimp.

Which do you think is the best choice? Adding filter floss and put shrimp first, or add floss and put guppies/danios, then transfer to 20 and add shrimp? Thanks a bunch!

16. Bluestreakfl

Honestly if youre just doing shrimp and a betta in the 5, a 1" by 1" piece of your biomedia should instantly cycle. If you havent started adding ammonia or anything yet to the new tank, save yourself alot of hassle. You can add the shrimp first provided water parameters are stable, then add the betta and the seeded media in at the same time. I instant cycled my betta tank (5g) this way. There is such a small bioload, often times you may barely even see a cycle. Just make sure your plants go in the same time as the shrimp, and maybe trim a few leaves off the plants, as the shrimp can eat off of where you cut the leaves.

17. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

If you haven't yet started with cycling, you can fill the new filter with seeded media from your 20gal and right away add your betta and shrimp at the same time. The seeded media gives you an instant cycle.

You can't leave the seeded media in an empty tank for more than about 6 hours or the BB will start to die off.

After adding everything I would check the parameters every day for a few days just to be sure all is well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice