Hello! I Need Help With A Pregnant Ghost Shrimp...

shroum

New Member
Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
2
Hello all!

I'm pretty new to this whole other side of keeping fish, like checking the water parameters, etc. We recently got four guppies, two scissortail rasboras, and two glowlight tetras. Also scattered around 7-8 ghost shrimp in there, one of which is pregnant and mostly hangs out under a hollow decorative rock.

I recently read that you have to quarantine the pregnant shrimp with a breeding box filled with plants. Another article told me to transfer the shrimp to another tank, filled with green water algae. Both also mention an aquarium sponge filter, and I'm kinda confused on what that is and what it does. All Google provides me with is that it draws air through an air pump outside of the tank.

Also, if not given any help, will a ghost shrimp drop her eggs without any help? I know the shrimp larvae may be eaten by the other resident fish, however.
 

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,125
Reaction score
1,062
Location
Az
Experience
2 years
Ghost shrimp eggs will hatch in freshwater, but the young shrimp need brackish water to survive and grow. Eventually the eggs will be dropped, but the shrimp will most likely not survive past the larval stage.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
shroum

shroum

New Member
Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
2
MaximumRide14 said:
Ghost shrimp eggs will hatch in freshwater, but the young shrimp need brackish water to survive and grow. Eventually the eggs will be dropped, but the shrimp will most likely not survive past the larval stage.
What would you recommend- transferring the shrimp to a breeding box or another tank?

Also, how would I make the water “brackish”? On top of that, would I keep the mother with her offspring until they grow up, or simply put her back with the other fish after giving birth?

So sorry for the many questions, I’m like a helicopter mom to my fish and shrimp. ^ ^;
 

NYFishGuy

Well Known
Member
Messages
503
Reaction score
264
Location
NY
Experience
1 year
Ghost shrimp young don't need brackish. I thought mine died but after 2 weeks I found the first tiny baby.
I think they found food in my moss and other plants

DSCF1331.jpg
 

FishWithTim

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
238
Location
United States, Florida
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I was pretty confused when someone said they need brackish. Your shrimp will do fine, get lots of plants to give the babies more of a chance to survive. You can ask as many questions as you need. We will provide an answer to it.
 

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,125
Reaction score
1,062
Location
Az
Experience
2 years
NYFishGuy said:
Ghost shrimp young don't need brackish. I thought mine died but after 2 weeks I found the first tiny baby.
I think they found food in my moss and other plants

DSCF1331.jpg
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
Yeah, I was pretty confused when someone said they need brackish. Your shrimp will do fine, get lots of plants to give the babies more of a chance to survive. You can ask as many questions as you need. We will provide an answer to it.
Hmm... when my ghost shrimp dropped her eggs and I saw no babies, I assumed what everyone had been telling me was accurate. Thanks for correcting me!
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
193
Guests online
2,923
Total visitors
3,116

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom