Hello! I’m New And Excited To Be Here.

Beastycakes

Reaction score
So I’ve had a couple aquariums before that were gifted to me as a teenager but they were given away by my parents when I had moved out.

Just started again with a 20 gl topfin aquarium and currently have 8 neon tetras and am planning on adding 2 peppered Cory cats.

I am wanting to make is more natural and adding some drift wood and plants. I have done some research but I’m looking to see what you all think.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Add like 4 more cories or go with another small bottom feeder that doesn't need such a large school. Live plants and driftwood are always great ideas.

Beastycakes

Reaction score
Add like 4 more cories or go with another small bottom feeder that doesn't need such a large school. Live plants and driftwood are always great ideas.
Which other bottom feeders do you recommend? I should have noted that it is unfortunately not a 20 long.

Beastycakes

Reaction score
For plants I’m looking at some top (maybe dwarf water cabbage) and I’m still not sure for rooted, but preferably easy and low light.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Otto cats are an option. They have a decent overlap with neons as far as water needs and don't need the room or schooling size that cories need. I'm sure there are others as well. Hopefully others can give you more ideas.

Beastycakes

Reaction score
Otto cats are an option. They have a decent overlap with neons as far as water needs and don't need the room or schooling size that cories need. I'm sure there are others as well. Hopefully others can give you more ideas.
I don’t mind getting four, I just don’t want to overload the tank. The otto cats look nice but I looks like they get pretty long for what I’m looking for

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
I don’t mind getting four, I just don’t want to overload the tank. The otto cats look nice but I looks like they get pretty long for what I’m looking for
Hi and welcome!! I am new too, and maybe go with a smaller option like a salt and pepper cory (Corydoras habrosus). I am thinking about getting one of those too.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oto's stay small only about 2" total length when fully grown. the key to Oto's is make sure your tank is mature about 6 months old. They eat mainly algae so they need a good food source available, their diet can be supplemented with algae wafers. I haven't seen any of my Oto's eating on an algae wafer in any of the 3 tanks I have them in.

Top Bottom