Hello From The Uk

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Benfreshwater, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Hello all I am new to the site and also relatively new to keeping fish.
    I have a 120 Litre tank (I don't quite know gallons to Litre ratio) currently set up that's been running for about half a year.

I have:
    6 Rosy barb's.

1 Albino rainbow shark.

2 Golden Gouramis.

4 Black Phantom Tetra's (which numbers are dropping due to something praying on them I suspect the barb's but I can't be 100%)

4 Bandit Cory's.

2 Plecos (which I am yet to identify there actual breed as I forgot the name after buying them from a stockist which no longer stocks that species anymore).

And 2 Assassin Snails.

I will update with some photos when I am not at work later but just thought I'd get myself introduced for now.

Thanks all for your time and I look forward to all your help and advice.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

That is a 30 gallon, I suspect the shark is your trouble maker, but then again, are all your cories doing well? I would think that they, as other bottom feeders would be at risk from an aggressive rainbow shark, so nevermind what i said.

3. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Hi thanks my shark is a relatively new addition to the tank maybe 2 weeks ago and also is still juvenile only about 1 inch long but he could still be a suspect. I am not to clued up on fish compatability. My Cory's are all doing fine nobody seems to bother them they stay quite close together and look quite happy exploring the bottom of the tank together. My tank is quite heavily planted and with a lot of bog wood so a lot of places to hide or mark as individual territories

Also I have no Idea how I forgot but I also have 2 beautiful Golden Gouramis in the tank too! I have no Idea how I missed them of as there absolutely beautiful to look at!

A quick photo of my current set-up MVIMG_20190713_120837.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Welcome !

5. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Thank you! It's a great forum!

6. Noroomforshoe

Nice looking tank!
    your fish could get along fine. I have never had a raimbow shark, I have done research and I do plan to get one soon, so i have beed n I have read that they do best in a slightly larger tank, but the key is to make sure they have space, they are territorial, it looks like he would have places to call his own, and it is possible, that since he is growing up with other bottom feeders, he wont feel like they are invading his territory.
    If you could get a couple more of the same cories, they would really appriciate a larger school, and you have the room,
    And no I dont think the little shark killed the tetra. Somtimes fish just die. But fyi, the most aggressive fish in the tank are the gourami.

7. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Thanks for the useful information! I do feel the Cory's would appreciate a few more pals they seem to spend all there time together so I probably will invest in a few more. If the Tetra's do eventually all come to the same end I think I might buy some more Rosy barb's as I do really like them.. unless anybody has a better suggestion for another school I could introduce?.. The Gouramis look so peaceful but I guess I don't know what happens when I look away! IMG_20190707_105520.jpgIMG_20190713_202812.jpg

8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

Keep an eye on the gouramis, they often become aggressive as they mature and often if you have 2 they will end up fighting.

The shark is another one to watch out for. They usually become badly behaved as they age and the cories will likely be the first victims since they spend much of their time at the bottom of the tank with the shark. As the shark gets larger it will end up needing a larger tank. 55 gallons (208litres) is the minimum tank size and the tank should be 120cm long.

The plecos could also be territorial with one another but are unlikely to bother any of the other fish. Depending on what kind of pleco they are they may need a larger tank too.

I'm sure your cories will appreciate having a few more friends.

9. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

My I really have picked some difficult fish to get along! Haha shows what the "generic" pet store person knows as they tell me all is well when I say what my set-up of fish is... I definitely will be upsizing to a larger tank in the future so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks I'll keep all this in mind

10. Noroomforshoe

Your stocking is not the worste, and it could work either for a long time or indefinitly, A larger tank would deffinitly be better , anything that is 48 inches long. which is the next size range. In the mean time be very carefull what you add. Even somthing like a molly fish, "top dwelling and surprisingly territorial" Can set off the gourami and remind them that they should be acting as the top dogs .

you get a picture of the plecos?

11. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Thanks that's a little bit more reassuring then, I will invest in a larger tank probably at the end of this year. I don't think really I am going to add any more different species I am probably just going to add to my Rosy barb and Cory's. Unless someone has a sure fire species that will work well with what I have. I made a post to try identify what plecos I have and a few people have given a few different answers as to what they could be. Here's a photo though. IMG_20190709_210319.jpg

12. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore from a fellow Brit :)
    You’re right your corys would like a few more in the group but it looks like you have an odd one out there, you have 3 C.metae aka bandit cory & one C.melini aka false bandit.
    If your Lfs will let you, you could swap the melini for another metae

13. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I'm not entirely sure what kind of pleco that it but it looks to me like one of the smaller varieties. 2 should have enough room in a 50 gallon tank or larger if they each have their own territories.

14. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Hello fellow Brit! I have actually only just realised that one is a false as I bought the 3 bandits together a while ago then a friend of mine bought a new tank with a few fish in it (Cory being one of them) and he donated it to me. After quatining him for a while he's only got into the big tank today so haven't actually had a good look at him until I took the photo and posted it... Then after looking back I realized. I'll have to go into my LFS and speak to someone see what they say. And yes bottomdweller I think most people thought it was one of the smaller ones. Hopefully they coexist fine for now till I get a larger tank

15. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

It's good to here there are more Brits here, I've been on this site a while and have met very few fellow Brits.

16. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Well I am here now to rack the numbers up a little bit!

17. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Croeso welcome to fishlore, I'm in Bedford now
    Looks like you're already getting some good advise

18. Noroomforshoe

Yes it looks like some form of dwarf Pleco, of which there are many species, and they are very neet fish, many of which get pretty pricey depending. Is your driftwood real? or a replica? Many pleco require real drift in the diet.

19. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

They weren't to badly priced I didn't think but I had nothing else in the shop to compare them to I guess. It's all real. Live plants and real driftwood so they should be happy :)

Bedford is not to far from myself I'm in the Derbyshire area. Any good fish stores near to yourself? Best one in a reasonable distance to me is Warf Aquatics

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  20. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

I love your Cory's... welcome to the forum! :)