Hello From Pakistan!

1. Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Hello :) Just started off with my first fresh water aquarium and wanted to say hello and get some advice.

Did loads of reading and completed the nitrogen cycle for my 20 gallon tank. Currently I have:
    - 1 Platy
    - 2 Angels
    - 1 Pleco

Strong filter, gravel and couple of bubblers. Water quality is good and tank is really clean with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I was wanting to introduce few neon tetras, is it safe to do so with the fish I have already? Or am I overstocked as is?

I do a PWC every Sunday, along with a gravel clean. Thanks!

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would say you're overstocked. Plus your angels might eat the neon tetras because they're so small. What kind of Pleco do you have? Are your fish adults or still young? Congratulations on your first tank though and well done for cycling it before getting fish!

Welcome to the forum :)

3. OP
    OP
    Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Thanks!

Its a Sailfin Pleco. That's what I was afraid of Angels eating Tetras. None of the fish are adults. So, if I were to get tetras only tank how many could I add? my LPS will exchange the angels.

4. Aquaphobia

Unfortunately that sailfin is going to get huge and produce a lot of waste. if you really had to you could keep one angel in that tank but they do better in bigger tanks long-term. Angels are territorial and having 2 in there could be trouble down the road. They are surprisingly aggressive!

What temperature do you keep your tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Oh ok, so sailfin is a no go then, as I said I can easily exchange them in the next few days. I can actually see one of the Angels harassing small Platy. Current temperature is 28 C (80 F), no heaters in the aquarium at the minute, it gets really warm here.

So if I had an empty established tank, could I stock say 12 Tetras and a Betta? -- sorry for so many Qs.

6. Aquaphobia

Easily! Except you'd have to watch the betta since they will either harass the tetras or the tetras may stress out the betta. I think you'd be better off with a different centrepiece fish but it's up to you what you like :)

7. OP
    OP
    Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Awesome thanks. What centrepiece fish would you recommend?

8. Aquaphobia

What do you like? :)

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

10. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome. I been to Pakistan back in 2010, if I recall correctly. Indeed it gets very hot. I lost over 20lbs within 1-2 months. And I was already in great shape. I blame the heat and healthy eating :).

11. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Welcome. Good start. Your asking the right questions. Lots of members here to help.

12. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

13. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I highly recommend Peacock Gudgeons.

14. OP
    OP
    Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Colour loads and loads of colour :)

Yes, It gets upto 42-45 C where I live!!

Nice, let me check if I can find some at my LFS.

Thanks everyone for the welcome :) -- already going through various builds and I am sure I will need allot of help going forward. Dream is to build a 55 GAL in the next 6-8 months, once my 20 G is fully established and properly stocked.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

16. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

17. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!! Why don't you look at Flame Dwarf Gouramis? Lots of color, good centerpiece fish for a community tank. As for a school of bright color platys are bright if you don't mind lots of young to rehome. Or if you don't want the hassle of fry, you could get 10 male endlers, they are flashy too. Ember tetras are bright and school well, 10 of those would work too.

18. OP
    OP
    Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Thanks guys.

@minervalong Interesting, Dwarf Gouramis look cool, let me see if I can find em at my LFS.

So here's how I am planing to stock (I am waiting on some decorations etc, want live plants but I think its best to start off one step at a time with artificial decorations, I plan on heavy rear decorations) -- Do these stocking levels look ok?

- 12 neon tetras or (6 Cardinal and 6 Neon Tetras)
    - 5 Cherry Barbs or (Dwarf Gouramis? are they compatible with Bettas?)
    - 1 Male Betta
    - 1 Platy (or 2)

I really want an algae eater but looks like its not possible to fit one here or is it?

I am going to return my Angels and Pleco as both are going to get big for my setup anyway, maybe I will have angels in 55g (at some point, when I can afford one).

19. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

if I were you... I wont stock gourami an betta together....
    Bettas are better left alone... In community either betta hareases or gets harashed...
    If you baddly want a betta... Then you can do a seprate 5 gallon tank....

20. OP
    OP
    Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Thanks! It looks like I will need to separate the Betta, what about rest of the stocking levels?