Hello from Orange County CA

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Mark7A, Dec 16, 2012.

1. M

Mark7A Valued Member Member

Hello !!!

I just wanted to pop in ans say hi as I am new to the forums.

I've always loved all things aquatic and my GF finally helped me get into the fun.

Coming from a healthcare/biology background the nitrogen cycle makes perfect sense and is one of the allure of fish keeping. I just started my 56 gallon "pillar" tank on it's fishless cycle - well, two weeks ago (ammonia and some stuff from my GFs tank). The tanks is all decked out and bubbly warm helping the bacteria along. Started with an initial ammonia level of 6 (it's now 4 - been here for about 12 days). Started testing for nitrites and nitrates a couple days ago. Nitrite jumped from 2 to 5 in those two days and the nitrate is holding at 5. I think this is trend I am looking for.

I do have a serious problem. What do I do to keep patient? I am have a few different communities planned (mostly semi-agressive fish). I am reading other forums and sites l have come across to help select compatible tankmates.

But the waiting is hard. I keep staring at the tank - then my GF laughs :;laughing

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

You could always get a couple of those plastic fish they sell at pet stores (at least the ones near me) and plop em in the tank!

3. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Hello Mark7A :;hi1

4. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks!!

I'll save the plastic fish as a last resort plan

5. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Well ok, but they're very easy to care for ;)

6. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Mark, welcome to Fishlore. sounds like MTS is right around the corner for you. we will be here when you need us.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

candycane2.gif Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

8. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I loved biology, and was taking college biology in 9th grade, and studied it all through HS, I know what you mean! The chemistry of it all was partly the allure to me as well.

When I was cycling my tank, I did the same, and I would just look at my tank and MY husband would laugh! lol I'd suggest you select a couple books and read them, that's what got me through :)

9. OP
    OP
    M

10. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Mark, we can't cure it, all we can do is be there for you in your time of need.

11. Kai

Kai Valued Member Member

Hello and welcome, Mark! ^_^

We'd love to see pics! A lot of them even if you decide to house some plastic fish. :D

12. N

N2Gongfu Valued Member Member

Hi Mark!! Fellow OC resident here! HI!!

13. OP
    OP
    M

Hi N2Gongfu!

I just found a great LFS in our area. Ocean Blue (on Katella in Orange). I was looking all over for a good, knowledgeable and (most importantly) friendly store. Good Yelp reviews too.

I finally cycled, and I'm slowly adding fish. Just added two German Blue Rams, two Peppered Corys and seven Green Fire Tetras.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  14. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Cool good luck with the fish. :)

15. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your new tank.

16. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Nice to have you on board friend! enjoy!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice