hello from newbie

Crow

Reaction score
Hi
I am somewhat new to aquariums. I grew up with a few tanks helped mainly by my father. Now some 25 years on I am getting back into it. I have never been anything of a guru and I like to do things right. So I have joined up with hope to be able to access experienced brains to ensure this. I have an 8x2x2 tank just starting so set up. Not usually a beginners tank I know but right opportunity and price and everything just all came together. I couldn't resist. I will be setting it up as centre piece display in living room. Thats my short story. Would be very appreciative of any help anyone can offer at anytime and hopefully I can reciprocate in some way.
Thankyou and hello to all.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore! Seems like Jim already gave you some good advice.

Crow

Reaction score
Thankyou Jim
I will read all thoroughly.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sounds like fun getting that set-up.....i love choosing and planning what to put in! any ideas yet on what fish you're having? any questions, just ask!! - hope we get photos of it! sounds fab!
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore and congrats on getting a great starting tank.

Jim's link should get you off to a good start.

For water conditioner, I'd definitely recommend Prime or NovAqua+.
For a testing kit, I'd recommend the API master freshwater kit.

- Here's a great online store for supplies.

What kind of fish do you want to put into your tank?

Crow

Reaction score
Looking to set up general community tank - lots of plants ,driftwood,5mm gravel. Favourites to include are clown loaches,silver sharks,dwarf gouramis,various tetras,neons,angels. My son wants a siamise fighter - will this be ok with others?. haven't decided on catfish yet. I like many of corys and brislenose though. Would be happy to hear any suggestions across the board on selections.
Thanks everyone for welcome. Let me know anytime I can assist anyone with anything.
Thanks all

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
they should be OK together, but be careful not to overstock the tank. You're talking a lot of fish here. I don't know how many gallons yur tank is, but remember the 1" to a gallon rule.
Also, a Betta (siamese fighting fish) should get along with the others. They generally only fight other male bettas. NEVER put 2 males together in a tank...

Crow

Reaction score
Thanks Jim
I would like to put female Betta in if possible. Tank is 850litre - 200 gallons

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd recommend checking the fish you want to get here: https://www.fishlore.com/TropicalFishProfiles.htm. This way you can see the adult size of each fish, along with how aggressive it is and if it likes to have company of it's own kind, how big a tank, etc.

If you have cichlids, barbs, gourami or other fish that can be aggressive in the tank, I'm not sure if a female Betta would lead to conflict or not. That's a big tank and with lots of hiding places (safe decorations, plants, etc.) it should be ok, just something to keep an eye on. What might work best would be a theme - like cichlids or gourami or livebearers.. cichlids or gourami can get bigger but are beautiful fish.. livebearers (platys, guppys, mollys, swordtails, etc) have a lot of varieties and are generally peaceful and smaller, but EASILY breed unless you have all males.. so many choices, it's really up to you what you want, but those profiles should help and you'll always get answers to any questions you have so I'm sure you'll end up with a great tank.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crow, also read the section on this site (somewhere) on breeding Betta's. I've never done it, but I guess there's a trick to having a male and female betta together...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jim said:
Crow, also read the section on this site (somewhere) on breeding Betta's. I've never done it, but I guess there's a trick to having a male and female betta together...
Yea, it's a ton of work for months and would be best if an entire room could be devoted to it along with probably $1000+ in supplies, tanks, food, meds, etc. We've been collecting lots of information on it and it's definitely not for the faint of heart. Maybe one day we will, but short on space & money to do it now.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi crow, welcome to fishlore!!!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore! hope you enjoy it here.

Gwenz

Crow

Reaction score
Thankyou again everyone

Thanks for advice. Any breeding programs will be down the track a bit but it is something I would like to try. I am just getting gravel cleaned. 80 litres is a lot of gravel. I got it straight from landscape supplies yard and it is filthy. I am doing it in small lots and it is taking about 6 or 7 wash,soak and rinse cycles to clean. I am pacing myself and it seems never ending. So here's to continued back ache and see you again soon.
Thanks

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ugh.. i hate the gravel cleaning.. even the stuff you get at the LPS seems to take ages to clean.. good luck with it and hope you'll be on to the more fun parts of setting up your aquarium.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fish Lore Crow You'll have lots of fun with your tank Good Luck!

Crow

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks everyone for invaluable inputs and warm welcomes.

Still going on gravel. It just does not want to get clean. I soak it - overnight. Then rinse in bucket, drain bucket, repeat and then have large tub of water which I then use stainer to sift and agitate it in, then back in bucket for another rinse and it still produces water with a caramel/cream discolouration. 7 or 8 times now through this process and still going. The gravel has come from a landscape supply yard is 5-7mm and seems to have come from some sort of clay type environment. It is a really nice gravel and will suit my setup with latex-rock 3d background. Just getting impatient with how long it is taking. Anyone with any speedy processes?

Thanks
Crow (with an empty tank)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crow - that stinks.. i wish i had an answer for you, but we just kept getting dust from gravel we bought in the aquarium aisle at walmart - honestly, that was part of what drove us to flat marbles.. we were doing a similiar process to you, just not soaking overnight.

I hope one of the longtime fish keepers has a process to really get gravel clean. are you using hot or cold water?

EDIT: i forgot to ask, but did you post a question about your gravel problem in the beginners & misc forums? You might get more responses there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom