Hello from NE

Trevor9168

Good Afternoon,

I think it is time for me to expand my knowledge of fish and aquariums and this looks like the right place. I've always loved anything aquatic. Through my childhood my parents, as well as their family friends have had aquariums and they've always been interesting to me. I haven't had any fish of my own until early 2019. Though, I have had a red ear slider since I was probably 9. Still have him.

Last year my wife and I decided to do something risky, and add some fish to my turtles 55 gallon aquarium. Initially, we only bought common goldfish and fully expected my turtle to go on a killing spree. But, to our surprise, he refuses to eat them, let alone attack them. We kept adding more and more and assumed that he would get territorial, but he never has. So, we added a couple different goldfish species, like Black Moor and Shubunkin. Next, two different types of catfish. One being a Pictus, the other a striped raphael. Unfortunately they didn't make the tank transition a couple days ago to a 75 gallon... As well as our bala sharks. Lastly we have added two Oscars, a Koi, a few guppies, a few mollies and a 7''common pleco that someone dropped off at Petco.

As I said above we switched everyone over to a 75 gallon as my turtle wasn't getting around comfortably anymore in the 55. I'm sad we lost our balas and the pictus, but overall the switch went well. I'm still using the 55 gallon filtration system, and a 55 gallon heater, but they're doing surprisingly well. Everyone seems to work together to keep the tank clean, even if I miss a day of cleaning.

I have a lot to learn. I have never done any water testing, or added any chemicals to the water. It hasn't really appeared to be needed. Everyone seems to be doing well, and the majority of these guys have been in here about a year now.

Oh, and exciting news for me, I was searching Craigslist the other day and someone was giving away two red ear sliders, with their 40w tank, two heat lamp set ups that total $140 new themselves, with loads of extra carbon and filters, food, etc. I had to get them, so I did lol. They're two 10yr old sisters. One is huge, the other is not too far behind. Goes to show you what giving them a wider tank will do since one is twice the size of mine that is approx. 10 years older.

Anyways, I hope most of this makes sense. I have a newborn, a grumpy 3 year old and a pup in heat keeping me busy and distracted lol. Hope to become acquainted with some of you, and learn loads and loads. I'll add some pictures of what i've got from my phone when I have a chance.

FinalFins

Welcome! I would err on caution if you have oscars, they may go on a killing spree if they are in with that many fish

Trevor9168

Thank You! I've just read a bit about that... I may end up buying another filtration system for the old 55 and tossing them back in that tank.

Trevor9168

Howdy from Texas, and welcome. There are some amazing deals to be found on craigslist
Nice to meet you. I've gotten very lucky over the years using CL. Hope to save some more aquariums and fish lol.

ProudPapa

Hope to save some more aquariums and fish lol.

I'm sure you will. MTS is a chronic affliction. I started with one tank in September and have four now, although only two have water and fish in them.

Trevor9168

I'm sure you will. MTS is a chronic affliction. I started with one tank in September and have four now, although only two have water and fish in them.
I am having a tough time leaving the 55 empty right now to be honest with you lol. But I should probably focus on the new 75 gallon for a little while. It's tough. I never thought this would become such an addicting hobby.

ProudPapa

There's nothing wrong with taking your time. I'm doing that with the 65 (I'll worry about the 20L later), and wish I had with the 40.

Trevor9168

Finally some pics.
You must be registered to see images

Trevor9168