Hello From Louisiana!

Moozillion

HI!
My name is Bea, but I use the name Moozillion (one of our cats' nicknames) on all the forums I'm on.
My hubby and I and our pets live in South Louisiana, just across the lake from New Orleans.
I am also on The Tortoise Forum (which is where someone mentioned THIS forum!) and on The Fossil Forum. I am interested in many aspects of the sciences and am currently semi-retired from a career in a medical-related field, so I have a bit more time available.
I used to keep aquariums many years ago, but my last one was in 1991, and things in the fish husbandry world have changed a lot!
I currently have 3 cats, a Mediterranean tortoise named Elsa Elizabeth who lives in our back yard, and an Eastern Mud Turtle named Jacques who lives in an aquarium in our dining room. But I am upgrading Jacques to a 40 gallon breeder tank soon, and want to convert her old tank (a 20 gal long) to just fish and some ghost shrimp. (Yes, Jacques is a boy name and she is a girl: I named her before she was old enough for her gender to be clear. )
So I'm here to learn and to hang out with like-minded people!
Thanks bunches!
Moozillion

P.S. And a friendly, informative forum is SO MUCH BETTER for both sanity and blood pressure than watching the news!!!!

Kathryn Crook

Welcome! Where at across the lake? I'm from there too. Got friends still in Mandeville. I'm from St Rose...down the road from Kenner.

Moozillion

Welcome! Where at across the lake? I'm from there too. Got friends still in Mandeville. I'm from St Rose...down the road from Kenner.
Well, HOWDY, Neighbor!!!
We're in Covington!
I grew up in Hammond and went to grad school at Tulane (1981-85).
I like Mandeville, but it's south of the mandatory evacuation line for Hurricanes, I think I'll just VISIT there...

Kathryn Crook

Well, HOWDY, Neighbor!!!
We're in Covington!
I grew up in Hammond and went to grad school at Tulane (1981-85).
I like Mandeville, but it's south of the mandatory evacuation line for Hurricanes, I think I'll just VISIT there...
haha! Well mon chere! Keep your high waters handy! And welcome to fish lore!

max h

Welcome, I worked for a couple of years at the Shell Oil Training Facility in Robert, La.

Kathryn Crook

Welcome, I worked for a couple of years at the Shell Oil Training Facility in Robert, La.
I'm sorry? Lol

max h

I'm sorry? Lol

Robert was great one stop light and 3 drive thru DaiquirI stores.

Kathryn Crook

Robert was great one stop light and 3 drive thru DaiquirI stores.
I sure miss those drive thru daquirI shopes! Where else can you drink and drive legally!

Edit! Ok ...I'm not advocating drinking and driving ...just saying it was a unique part of living in LA...good or bad...

max h

I would never condone those activities, it was merely an observation. It's all legal if you keep the paper on the end of the straw.

Kathryn Crook

I would never condone those activities, it was merely an observation. It's all legal if you keep the paper on the end of the straw.
. Haha! Way to get around that law....leave it up to LA! Hahaha!

Ho
w long ago was that? Ive been outta state for about 30 yrs ...are drive thru daquirI shops still legal ..and if so, is that why? Paper on straws?

max h

They still have them, drinks served with the paper end on the straw. legal work around for the shop owners.

Kathryn Crook

Ho

w long ago was that? Ive been outta state for about 30 yrs ...are drive thru daquirI shops still legal ..and if so, is that why? Paper on straws?
Not 30 years..sorry, just feels that way cuz I miss the food..25 years or so..

HI!
My name is Bea, but I use the name Moozillion (one of our cats' nicknames) on all the forums I'm on.
My hubby and I and our pets live in South Louisiana, just across the lake from New Orleans.
I am also on The Tortoise Forum (which is where someone mentioned THIS forum!) and on The Fossil Forum. I am interested in many aspects of the sciences and am currently semi-retired from a career in a medical-related field, so I have a bit more time available.
I used to keep aquariums many years ago, but my last one was in 1991, and things in the fish husbandry world have changed a lot!
I currently have 3 cats, a Mediterranean tortoise named Elsa Elizabeth who lives in our back yard, and an Eastern Mud Turtle named Jacques who lives in an aquarium in our dining room. But I am upgrading Jacques to a 40 gallon breeder tank soon, and want to convert her old tank (a 20 gal long) to just fish and some ghost shrimp. (Yes, Jacques is a boy name and she is a girl: I named her before she was old enough for her gender to be clear. )
Thanks bunches!
Moozillion

P.S. And a friendly, informative forum is SO MUCH BETTER for both sanity and blood pressure than watching the news!!!!
Sorry mooz. Got lost in having a LA girl. Post some pics of your tank! We love pics!

Moozillion

I'm sorry? Lol
Oh, YEAH!
Robert is near Hammond, but blink and you'll miss it!

I sure miss those drive thru daquirI shopes! Where else can you drink and drive legally!

Edit! Ok ...I'm not advocating drinking and driving ...just saying it was a unique part of living in LA...good or bad...

A friend of mine who is a forensic psychiatrist said the Louisiana law states that it is not illegal to drink and drive, but it IS illegal to drive DRUNK.
How's that for splitting hairs!!!!

Moozillion

Not 30 years..sorry, just feels that way cuz I miss the food..25 years or so..
Oh, yeah: THE FOOD!
My family doctor told me that when someone moves here from another part of the country, on average they gain between 10- 15 pounds!

Kathryn Crook

HI!
Thanks bunches!
Moozillion

I'm sorry, in all seriousness...idk about turtles tho...

goldface

My family doctor told me that when someone moves here from another part of the country, on average they gain between 10- 15 pounds!
Mist be all that butter y’all like to use.

Moozillion

Actually my dad lived by that law my entire life....a beer between the knees and chest of cold ones in the back seat aways! Haha
Kathryn: do you SERIOUSLY live in a town called WEED??!?!!!

Kathryn Crook

Absolutley! I so miss the food. Not crawfish so much...but crab boils! Give me a butter knife and space and I can demolish me some crabs! And females are the best! All that crab fat! (Row)

Kathryn: do you SERIOUSLY live in a town called WEED??!?!!!
Bahahaha! I do! Its named for an old man named Abner Weed, but yeah...it brings in the hippies anyway! Haha!

Moozillion

Mist be all that butter y’all like to use.
Oh, Honey! Butter ain't HALF the story!!!!!

Absolutley! I so miss the food. Not crawfish so much...but crab boils! Give me a butter knife and space and I can demolish me some crabs! And females are the best! All that crab fat! (Row)
YES! I'm with you, there! I like crawfish, but crab is where it's at!

Kathryn Crook

A woman after my own heart! Hugs!

goldface

I stopped by there on my way to and from TX. Loved the food. Crawfish etouffle is so good. But I agree with you all, love blue crabs.

Moozillion

Sorry mooz. Got lost in having a LA girl. Post some pics of your tank! We love pics!
I will, but I need to clean it first.ops: I'm not doing a very good job staying ahead of the brown algae. I'm not really happy with this tank (the 20 gal long) and am hoping to make big changes once I've learned more.
I'll clean it in another day or so and post pics.

A woman after my own heart! Hugs!
Hugs back atcha!

max h

Softshell and snapping turtle can make a good meal too. I also lived in Lake Charles and Sulpher when I was a kid. I love the food.

Kathryn Crook

I can't get any of it out here...even finding zararrains bag season is a chore..much less the seafood to season it
I will, but I need to clean it first.ops: I'm not doing a very good job staying ahead of the brown algae. I'm not really happy with this tank (the 20 gal long) and am hoping to make big changes once I've learned more.
I'll clean it in another day or so and post pics.
dont stress the brown algae..your tank is pretty new? Its diatoms...they will abate as your tank matures. Show us it anyway! We understand.

Moozillion

I can't get any of it out here...even finding zararrains bag season is a chore..much less the seafood to season it

dont stress the brown algae..your tank is pretty new? Its diatoms...they will abate as your tank matures. Show us it anyway! We understand.
Ummm...no, my tank has been running almost 2 years. But I didn't start having problems until a few months ago.
I'll go snap a quick pic or 2...

Kathryn Crook

Ummm...no, my tank has been running almost 2 years. But I didn't start having problems until a few months ago.
I'll go snap a quick pic or 2...
Yes! Pics always help!

Moozillion

Okay: This tank is set up for a mud turtle. The water is only 5-6 inches deep because mud turtles are poor swimmers. There are 3 guppies, 1 molly, 5 cory catfish and who-knows-howmany ghost shrimp. It has an HOB filter, UVB lights (in the back) and a heat lamp: these are for the turtle. They have to be able to bask with UV light which they would normally get from the sun, in order to grow healthy shells and bones. The substrate used to be sand, but although my ammonia and nitrites were fine (that is to say ZERO) my nitrates were always through the roof. It didn't bother the turtle but the fish kept dying. After she had a near-drowning incident, I was advised to take out all the sand and leave it bare-bottom or with rock or porcelain tile. Honestly, the turtle was the focus of the tank back then.
But that is going to change when she's moved to her new tank.
(PS If you ever want to know how to do CPR on a drowned turtle, I can answer that! ...and NO, you DON"T do mouth-to-mouth! )

IMG_1014.JPG

Can someone tell me how to "Like" or "rate" a comment here?
I only joined tonight, so am still figuring things out...

This is a better shot! It's daytime so you can see the tank without all the glare. (Yes, that's me... )

fullsizeoutput_8de.jpeg

...and here's Jacques!

IMG_9985.JPG

Kathryn Crook

Can someone tell me how to "Like" or "rate" a comment here?
I only joined tonight, so am still figuring things out...
All the little colored things below ppls posts you can click on...you can test them for,what you want..if its not what you want, you can “undo”

Moozillion

All the little colored things below ppls posts you can click on...you can test them for,what you want..if its not what you want, you can “undo”
DUH! HOW did I miss that??!?!?

Kathryn Crook

This is a better shot! It's daytime so you can see the tank without all the glare. (Yes, that's me... )

fullsizeoutput_8de.jpeg

...and here's Jacques!

IMG_9985.JPG
As for your turtle...I think no fish is best. Just a dedicated tank for the turtle. Idk about turtle upkeep but fish need lots of clean water and I bet that turtle has chihahua sized turds that will choke out a fish quick.

Moozillion

As for your turtle...I think no fish is best. Just a dedicated tank for the turtle. Idk about turtle upkeep but fish need lots of clean water and I bet that turtle has chihahua sized turds that will choke out a fish quick.
Yeah, turtles are notoriously messy!
I have to do 50% water change weekly or it gets bad.
I gotta say, these last few fish are tough and bold! They will yank food right out of the turtle's mouth! But they really do deserve a cleaner tank...

It's getting a little late for me to be online, so I'm going to say 'good night' and will sign back on tomorrow.
Thank you all for making me feel so welcome so quickly!

max h

I was going to say to have turtles you need a lot of filtration, the biggest canister that you can afford for the most part. And depending on the turtle the fish maybe a meal to them.

Kathryn Crook

It's getting a little late for me to be online, so I'm going to say 'good night' and will sign back on tomorrow.
Thank you all for making me feel so welcome so quickly!
Good night! And we are always here to help!

I should be flogged for not ending the night with Geaux Saints!

Moozillion

I was going to say to have turtles you need a lot of filtration, the biggest canister that you can afford for the most part. And depending on the turtle the fish maybe a meal to them.
Yes, she needs a tank with more filtration. This is the tank she's been in since she was a little hatchling. But she's clearly outgrown it.
Hence my setting up her 40 gallon breeder tank with a Fluval 206 with a single layer of rocks as substrate. Her tank will be only 3/4 full, so it'll have 30 gallons or less, so hopefully the filtration will be more than adequate. I can always add a smaller 2nd filter if needed.
Sounds like you've kept turtles?

Oh, yes- the part about the fish being a meal.
I will confess that the ghost shrimp and guppies were both added with the INTENT that they would stimulate her to move more and eat better. This was because after her near-drowning event last December and subsequent aspiration pneumonia which took 2 months to clear, she was not eating or moving much- just sitting in a daze. The addition of feeder animals was recommended to me as a means of stimulating her natural predator instincts.
But it didn't work out like that. I DO think the extra stimulation of other inhabitants moving around in her tank was good for her, but she makes NO EFFORT to eat them. The shrimp walk all over her and even walk up UNDER her belly to reach her head so they can grab scraps of whatever she's eating! And now I'm finding the shrimp to be fascinating little guys themselves! Once Jacques has moved to her bigger tank, the shrimp will get to stay in her old one.
The guppies are OK, but I was accidentally given a lyre-tail molly in with the guppies, and I like the molly quite a bit. Once I was sure Jacques was making no effort to eat the fish, I added the cory cats just because I like them.

I should be flogged for not ending the night with Geaux Saints!
We'll let it slide, THIS time! After all, you ARE displaced to a foreign land which has distractions of its own!

Dawn Michele

Welcome to Fishlore Bea!!!

max h

I never really kept turtles before, I have seen more then enough info from people who have.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StickyFeet
Replies
Views
Nikita
Replies
Views
Aldric

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom