Hello from Europe :)

Snowwhite

Hello Guys My Name is Anna, I am 23 years old and I have a 9 Gallon Nano Cube that I take care of with my sister. Of course we keep a Betta in it as apparently a lot of people seem to do on this forum. Its a nice and green "Single Flat" for our fish with lots of hiding spots and plants and its the very first Aquarium we own.
It was a rollercoaster journey already because our Betta seemed to be sick during the first week. The first two days everything was fine but after that she only lay in one corner on the ground of the tank, almost not moving, she stopped eating and I was really worried. I have a test set (and I checked the water and everything seemed to be perfect so I thought she came from the pet store sick already. Because I did not know what else to do I changed 50% of the water... and next day she was all well again so it might have been the water after all and something that my test set does not cover was off.
Anyway I am happy to be part of the forum and meet people that have way more knowledge about fish and freshwater aquariums in general!

Greetings, Anna!

SeanyBaggs123

Welcome to the Forum Anna,

Out of curiosity how long had it been since your last water change?

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates/Ph are essential parameters to monitor and manage in a new tank, but your water changes also remove/replace all sorts of other factors from the water.

Glad to hear she seems better!

Snowwhite

I had the Aquarium running for 4 Weeks prior, conditioned it just to be save and changed water every week, about 30%. My test set covers Ammonia, Nitrates, total hardness, carbonate hardness and PH and it was all fine. I use a test with uhm... liquids ( don't know what the term for that is), not those test stripes because those were not reliable in our pool so I don't wanted to risk anything for my fish and not get the correct measurements. So I changed the water the day before I got my Betta and two days later she seemd to be really sick. I have no idea what could have caused it. Maybe a new plant that I put in the day before, maybe I didn't rinse it enough and something was on it... I really don't know but since the last change on Sunday the fish is all fine again, eats again, swims around normally, seems to have fully recovered!

SeanyBaggs123

Interesting!

Maybe she was just stressed from the transition...

Snowwhite

That might be the case I really have no clue what happened and I was really worried, searched for illnesses like stupid and for ways to make my fish feel better. it might have been the water change or stress... We'll never know

ProudPapa

Welcome, and I'm glad your fish is better.

DoubleDutch

Welcome from Europe as well.
Which country (or did I miss that)

Snowwhite

JettsPapa Thanks I am really glad too.
DoubleDutch Germany VERY VERY close to the dutch border. I study in the netherlands

emeraldking

Also a hI from me...
Like DoubleDutch, I'm also dutch. And I do live close to the german border. Close to Gronau to be precise.

ProudPapa

JettsPapa Thanks I am really glad too.
DoubleDutch Germany VERY VERY close to the dutch border. I study in the netherlands

We might be related. My ancestors came from Germany to Texas in the late 1800's. My parents both grew up speaking German, but it was different dialects, so I only learned a few words.

Snowwhite

emeraldking Really ? I drive past Gronau every day because I study near Glanerbrug! That's funny
JettsPapa It might be a possibility. For me its the exact opposite way around. I have ancestors from America but waaaaay waaay back

Its funny to meet European people when I had the intention to get away from them (well mostly from other Germans to be precise xD)... They flamed me REALLY badly because I have an artifical boat in my tank as a decoration in which my Betta can hide. It actually has somewhat of a sentimental worth. I bought it together with my sister as a child when we really wanted a tank and thought, If we by some decorations, our parents might approve xD We had it for 7 Years already and when we got our tank we decided to put it in as a little "statement" and to finally show it off. But ye. "Bettas ain't havin no artifical decoration in the wild! And it for sure was the boats fault that the fish was unwell." So I now came here And I am happy that you are so nice!

ProudPapa

I've found most people here are very nice. I don't personally care for artificial decorations or plants in aquariums, but I certainly wouldn't criticize or judge someone who does like them.

Snowwhite

I don't care either as long as not the whole tank is an artifical setup but even then I would give nice hints and not flame someone ( or keep quiet because I am a total beginner) I only have that ship in there because its somewhat a symbol for my sisters and my wish to get a tank since childhood that finally was fullfilled. One item shouldn't be that much of a problem. Especially since I took care to have everything perfectly set up after hours of research

emeraldking

I'm not particular a fan of artificial decorations in a tank. But that's something that everyone should decide for herself or himself. Who am I to judge? So, don't bother what other people think about it. It's your tank...

So, are youy studying in Enschede? That's near Glanerbrug.

Snowwhite

I am studying in Enschede, who would have thought
And yes. Normally I am not a fan of artifical stuff too. We have lots of Spongebob items and more stuff that is horrendously colourful and bright in stock and I hate them xD Mostly lookwise as I haven't read of any negative consequences that could come with artifical stuff yet. I would never put more then that one item in my tank

DoubleDutch

That part if our country we consider to belong to Germany hahahaha. Joking !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDiddy
Replies
Views
valeriemgraves
Replies
Views
Columbus
Replies
Views