Hello From Down Sourh

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by angeltank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. angeltank

angeltankValued MemberMember

Hey all,

I am a newby to the forum and happy to be here. I currently have a 55g with a pair of breeding Angels (live babies and all-YAY), a school of c.aeneus (mixed between bronze and albino), and diamond tetras and bleeding heart tetras. I joined for two reasons.1) I hope to transition my aquarium to a live planted tank. Something I've got no experience with. And 2) I want to add to my c. Aeneus school some of the varying color varieties out there but am honestly still too novice to know if mixing the blacks, green long fins, bronze, and albinos will lend to the happy cohesive school of bronze and albinos I've enjoyed for over 5 years now. Any advice or personal experience I'd gladly welcomed.

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Welcome!

1. Whenever it comes to starting a planted aquarium, start off with easy to grow plants. The best beginner plants that I recommend are rhizome plants (anubias, java fern, bucephalandra) and floating plants (duckweed, frogbit, salvinia). After you feel a little comfortable with those plants, then you can start keeping stem plants (ludwigia, hygrophila, rotala) and rooted plants (swords, vallisneria, dwarf sagittaria).

2. Bronze and albino are the same species. You can mix and match color varieties based on your preference.

3. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Thank you so much for your reply! I think I love this forum already.

To be clear I know I he bronze and albino do well together, as I've had my school of mixed for approx 5 years. I'm just considering adding some black and green kingdom. I'm not so concerned about the green longfin, but the black I've considered adding, although being reported as aeneus, may be (not 100% sure) from a different region, so I was going to ask around if anyone has experience with them schooling and interbreeding with the bronze and albinos. I'd also like to add some orange laser which are reported as aeneus but some say maybe there not. I have no idea!

Also, I have duckweed in my backyard pond with mollies. It was obtained from a pond by my husband. Do you think it'd be safe to add to my aquarium?

4. Crispii

You can mix other species of corys in the same tank. They won't do much except sifting the substrate for food. Duckweed is 100% safe to use on any aquarium, but I really hate that plant.

5. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Ok. Yeah it spreads fast. I was really leaning towards Amazon swords (I think is what they're called) and South American plants bc all my fish are.

Thanks @Crispii!!!

6. Crispii

Amazon swords is a great beginner plant, but you need something to feed that plant as it is a heavy root feeder.

7. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Haha!!! That's why I'm here! I want to figure out the right substrate and lighting! I want to keep my substrate dark bc my tetras look incredible against a dark substrate. I also regularly add tannins to my water bc it looks awesome and my fish love it (I have very hard water here). Was hoping to get to the bottom of if a plant will tolerate the tannins addition. I don't think I make the water so dark that light won't penetrate but I have no idea,really, how dark is too dark. I have a broad spectrum light on the way and want to hook it up to see what it does.

8. Crispii

I've successfully grown amazon swords with an old LED light, so that's saying something. As long as you're feeding plants, lighting does not matter as long as the duration is long. I've kept amazon swords on a 12 hour duration with just an old light not labeled as a planted light.

9. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Ok! Thank you! What substrate did you use?

10. Crispii

I don't have swords anymore, but back when I did have it, I used PFS as the substrate and feed my plant with Osmocote. Also, didn't you say you wanted a black substrate?

11. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Yes black substrate is my preference.

12. Crispii

Then you can use something like ADA Amazonia, Fluval Stratum, or Mr. Aqua. These three substrate that I listed will have the appearance of a black substrate. Not only that, but you can grow plants on those three substrates!

13. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Thank you so much! Can't wait to begin this process!

14. Crispii

And I wish you the best of luck!

15. OP
    OP
    angeltank

:;bananahey

16. LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

I used black eco complete in both my tanks and my plants have done great. I use root tans and liquid fertilizer once a week. If you are going the live plant route, make sure you take any carbon out of your filter. It will suck up all the fertilizer.

Also, make sure you think like a gardener. Plant leaving them room to grow. My first tank I over planted and have surrendered to calling it a jungle tank! LOL

17. OP
    OP
    angeltank

Thanks so much! Great advice!