Hello from Calgary. 10 Gallon Tank 

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, my name is Chris and I got a fish tank! in my youth/teenage years I had a few fish, but I wasn't as aware of the process as I am now.

just starting out with a 10 gallon and going to perfect it and then maybe move on from there. just started up 36 hour ago, got the plants in and 3 black phantom tetras.

just a bit cloudy now from startin' up the ol' nitrogen cycle. I'm using nutrafin cycle to get it kick started.

in a few weeks I hope to get 3 more black phantoms and a couple shrimp, and at that point I think I'm going to be at my limit.

the phantoms are doing really well, swimmingly- even. they ate voraciously when I got them home.. not sure if I was supposed to do that. and they've been swimming around the current in the tank and enjoying themselves.

Also, I had a question about water changes, should I be changing water every other day while i cycle with fish? and when I'm doing the water change, do I add the full 10ml of dechlorinator to the tank even if I'm only doing 25%?

Thanks for the great forum!

Attachments

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'd suggest daily water changes when you're cycling with fish to help keep the toxins down. You can also use a conditioner like Prime that detox's the ammonia for 24 hours between changes.

I'd also suggest not to use Cycle. It's not really going to help cycle the tank.
Many bacteria additives don't contain the correct bacteria that will grow and help sustain your tank. That's why the directions say you should add it with every water change.

I add enough conditioner to treat the new water I'm adding to the tank.

Looks like you've got a good start with some pretty fish.
Good luck!

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks! my ammonia, from the latest reading is 0.5... again, I may have dumped some nice water from the fish into the tank- PROBABLY not the best idea... from my further reading. live and learn, eh?

i'm going to take it easy and make sure everything is perfect until I aquascape any more.

thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to fishlore!!!!!!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello DJ and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I hope you enjoy the site. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ken

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Your tank looks great, be sure to post pics once its all settled down

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishLore Chris!
Carol

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore eh!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome Chris, great advice from Lucy! I like those tetras, never seen them before, thanks for sharing

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the warm welcome!

tank is doing swell. ammonia is nill, it seems and nitrites are at 0.25. tank is much less cloudy much MUCH less cloudy! which I am thankful for.

the fishes are doing really well, as far as I can tell. still swimming around well, love running up the current from the filter in their mini shoal. they are also eating voraciously. they are finally playing around the plants

I had a question about top ups, can I just prepare a jug and top 'er up as necessary? it's pretty dry here...

thanks again!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
I live in Alberta too, and yes it can get pretty dry! As long as the water has been treated with conditioner (I am using Prime) You can top up your tank as needed. Just don't substitute that for your regular water changes.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your tetra's are like the 1 little guy I re-homed yeah he is on his own but he does live in a tank with other kinds of tetra's in my rescue tank lol!

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SO my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrite is at 1ppm , i put my airstone in along with the live plants because I read nitrite inhibits their breathing. I dunno if 1ppm is too high for them to be comfortable? I'm going to do another 20% water change tomorrow. I'm nervous for my little guys.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Three tetras is a pretty heavy load on a tank that small this early. Don't be surprised if you lose some or all of them. I prefer to cycle my tanks naturally, and I try to stay under 1 fish per ten gallons. I still lose some. Good thing is you selected a durable fish for the job.

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well! It looks like the fish have made it and the tank is cycled. I don't have a nitrate test kit because i haven't had the chance to get around to the LFS.

but here is the proof!

Attachments

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience