Hello From Belfast

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by DeckerZ, Apr 14, 2017.

1. DeckerZ

DeckerZ New Member Member

Hi, I'm new to keeping fish as a hobby. I bought my first tank which is 70L or 15 gallons. I have had my tank on heating and filtering for a week. I go to buy my first 2 or 3 fish tomorrow. I have found the form interesting and am keen to learn more.

[​IMG]

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Running the filter for a week won't cycle the tank and make it appropriate for fish. However, you can do a fish-in cycle if you'd rather not go through the process of a fishless cycle.

Nice tank setup! What are you going to put in it?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

5. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    Welcome to FishLore!! :)

6. OP
    OP
    DeckerZ

Thanks Guys. Yea I have been reading and watching YouTube videos on the Nitrogen cycle. I was running the filter to clean the fresh water I put in. Initially I put in Prime which removes the chlorine, then I put in the Stability as per directions, 5ml for each 40L in the first day, then 1 cap (5ml) for each 80L daily for 7 days. I am still in the process of doing this as I just added the fish on Saturday 15th April. I added 4 Tetra Black Widows. I have noticed they are behaving strangely. They congregate around the back left bottom corner of the tank, swim away for a few seconds then right back to the same spot. Can anyone tell me if this looks normal for the Black Widows.

Thanks

7. TexasDomer

They might be stressed, the tank is bare and there isn't anything for them to hide behind.

8. OP
    OP
    DeckerZ

Ok thanks TexasDomer, I have been following the advice of my local Aquatic Supply Store not to put plants in initially. Maybe I will get some artificial plants in the mean time. There is the divers helmet they do hide behind and tend to sleep in though.

9. TexasDomer

You can definitely add live plants now, no need to wait. You may come to find that LFS don't give good advice most of the time. Either they don't know, or they're more interested in making a sale.

10. HannahLee

HannahLee New Member Member

Welcome! I am also new. :)

11. OP
    OP
    DeckerZ

Thanks and same to you.

12. F

Fishkeeping411 New Member Member

Welcome. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice