Hello From Aus, Aquaponics Tank

faintingfish

Reaction score
Hello,

We had a small tank some years ago, nothing impressive but enjoyed watching our aquarium. Had some neon tetras, cherry shrimp and a bristlenose (might have been more but forget). The tank pretty much looked after itself which was great, meant we didn't learn much however. My wife has been wanting a tank again for awhile so I purchased an AquaSprouts Aquaponics aquarium it's 10g (40l in my local measure).

Not sure if there is anything I need to know about such a setup and getting it going vs a normal tank. Are there any good threads on this? I tried the search and didn't find the specific tank. I believe the write up says no filter is needed as the gravel and plants on top take over this job, would it be best to still run a filter?

Not sure what we will stock it with, be nice to have a living plant or two in the tank as well. Previously the bristlenose was my wife's favourite fish. The tank might be too small from my reading.

Any comments are welcome and looking forward to have some fish again.

I just remembered we had a Betta too in there. It was a present and what got us started with a small tank before getting a bigger tank and adding the rest.

I found some info here Adventures In Aquaponics - Normal Setup Growing Pains? on the tank I purchased. Not sure why the search didn't work? Is there a way to edit posts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

We had a small tank some years ago, nothing impressive but enjoyed watching our aquarium. Had some neon tetras, cherry shrimp and a bristlenose (might have been more but forget). The tank pretty much looked after itself which was great, meant we didn't learn much however. My wife has been wanting a tank again for awhile so I purchased an AquaSprouts Aquaponics aquarium it's 10g (40l in my local measure).

Not sure if there is anything I need to know about such a setup and getting it going vs a normal tank. Are there any good threads on this? I tried the search and didn't find the specific tank. I believe the write up says no filter is needed as the gravel and plants on top take over this job, would it be best to still run a filter?

Not sure what we will stock it with, be nice to have a living plant or two in the tank as well. Previously the bristlenose was my wife's favourite fish. The tank might be too small from my reading.

Any comments are welcome and looking forward to have some fish again.

I just remembered we had a Betta too in there. It was a present and what got us started with a small tank before getting a bigger tank and adding the rest.

I found some info here Adventures In Aquaponics - Normal Setup Growing Pains? on the tank I purchased. Not sure why the search didn't work? Is there a way to edit posts?
Hi and Welcome to Fishlore! Go to 'Freshwater Aquarium' and there is a link to 'aquarium plants' there. Lot's of Newbies to Experts on aquaponics here! I already posted a 'whine' about CO2 and received an amazing comprehensive response from one member that answered everything I'd ever want to know about CO2 and aquarium plants! Have Fun!

Hi and Welcome to Fishlore! Go to 'Freshwater Aquarium' and there is a link to 'aquarium plants' there. Lot's of Newbies to Experts on aquaponics here! I already posted a 'whine' about CO2 and received an amazing comprehensive response from one member that answered everything I'd ever want to know about CO2 and aquarium plants! Have Fun!
EDITING: After you post a comment you can scroll to the bottom of your post and there's an edit option. Edit your post then hit the "save changes" option and it will repost the edited version.
SEARCHING: When you do a search, that engine looks for words in your query. You can choose to only search titles if you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:

McFly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are different 'levels' (if you will) of Aquaponics that are used. I'm currently
Setting up an aquaponic sump to reduce nitrates in my aquarium water.

Some will use the aquarium to feed their 'vegetable garden'.

The 'true' aquaponic system is having fish you can eat, and a consumable crop.

So, you should contemplate what your goals are, and what you expect
from what you're planning. There are a lot of aquaponic resources on the
web, most are done on a bigger scale, because there's the greatest yield.

When you get into hydroponics, certain crops you grow need certain pH
levels, most need more nutrients aside from nitrogen, there are different
systems used with different medium, water flows... it goes on and on.

I'm on the easiest level.... start small. The bigger you go, the more
involved it gets, and the more time is needed to maintain the system.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom