Hello From A New Hobbyist

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by MRP, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MRPValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to start off by saying "hello" to everyone here. Just moved to the US from Japan and I've been bitten by a strong desire to start the aquarium hobby. I bought a 3.5 Gallon tank a couple weeks ago  . Since then, I've been flat out shocked at how much I enjoy having fish and how much I want them to be happy. Instead of a betta, I got a blue danio, a electric green danio, and a ghost shrimp. I want to build an aquarium and get more fish. I'm also interested in aquascaping.

Anyway, thanks for having this site!

2. 13fishy wishes

13fishy wishesValued MemberMember

Hey and hello !
    Welcome to the US !
    I am new to having fish and this site too! ☺☺

3. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Welcome! I took Japanese in high school for 3 years, it's a cool place.

4. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

For starters welcome to Fishlore. And next you have stocking issues, Danios need a 20 Gallon minimum(Others say 30 as of how active they are) and they need to be kept in a group of 6+. The only fish that could live in a 3.5 gallon is a Betta and if no Betta do a shrimp colony. If you want more tanks get a 20 Gallon Long and get 6 more Danios then you could get some Cories and a Gourami or 2. I don't mean to sound harsh but i am telling you the best bet for the fish, Good Luck in fish keeping.

5. OP
    OP
    M

MRPValued MemberMember

Thanks!

The people at the pet store told me I could have 1 inch per 1 gallon, so I assumed I would be ok with 2 small fish and a shrimp. It seems that not the case...Anyway, I'm learning as I go and I'm two weeks in. I really what to give them a great place to live and to that end, I'm going to try to build an aquarium ASAP. This past weekend I bought a testing kit and I'm hoping to get the water right. My readings were:

Ph: 8.0
    Ammonia: 1 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm

I just wrote a post seeking help on a DIY tank. Suddenly, it seems more urgent to get it done if the 3.5 tank is so unsuitable. Would you mind taking a look?

6. OP
    OP
    M

MRPValued MemberMember

FYI, I also changed about 20% of the water.

7. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Those numbers show that it's not cycled.

8. Littlebudda

LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

Leaving in the USA I would just look for the $1 per gallon sales that seem to be happening every couple of weeks the cost of building a tank and stress if you can get a 30gal for $30 that's what I would do unless you want custom tanks and then that's a different story and then still expensive

9. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to FishLore!
    Look into the nitrogen cycle, just click the blue link.

Would recommend the $per gallon sale at petco.

10. OP
    OP
    M

MRPValued MemberMember

Thank you both very much. I looked into petco, but sadly there seems to be no info about the sale you mentioned. It seems to have ended in April. I wonder if it will be back. The current selection is much more expensive. Their 30 gallon tanks seem to be in the $250+ range.

11. Littlebudda

LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

Tanks in Australia are expensive but a 30gal for $250!is insane

12. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

you sure it was a PetCo and not a petsmart? PetCo is having their dollar per gallon sale until August 19th of 2017.

I would recommend a 30g.

13. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

Petco is currently having the $per gallon sale, just bought a 40b.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice