hello folks

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I've dropped in. Grim had been doing well, but now he's got fin rot. I noticed it this morning. I'm not sure what the water perameters are. I'll test tomorrow (the test tubes are at home and Grim is at work). I did just do a 50% water change on Friday, so they shouldn't be too bad. The nitrates were high around 35 before doing the water change, but the ammonia and nitrites were 0. I know that fin rot has been covered in full in other posts, if someone could direct me to the posts, I'd appreciate it. I don't remember how to treat him.
Thanks, ~J~

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey tdf,

Sorry to hear about Grim's fin rot. Many here seem to start with Jungle Labs Fungus Clear. But others have started with Maracyn 2. Right now I'm doing battle with a combo of Maracyn and Marcyn 2 as I've tried the other two by themselves already. My next step is trisulfa or penicillin.

Hope this helps. You might want to try the search function here for more info.

Good luck to you and Grim.

Mike

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. i already have Maracyn 2... would that be an okay starting point? I don't have a lot of cash right now, so if I can get away with not buying anything new, it'd be good. Should I raise the temp in his tank? It's between 78 and 80 right now.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Maracyn 2 should be okay to start with.  Pull all charcoal from the tank filter as it could neutralize the med.  Replace the filter with some bulk filter material, if you have it, or just extract the charcoal from the filter cartridge, if that's the way it's set up.  The first dose is double that of the doses for Day 2 through Day 5.  If you start with Maracyn 2, I'd suggest you go completely through the first treatment - all five days.  If you have less than a 10-gallon tank, you'll need to adjust the meds accordingly.  It gets to be more complicated after Day 1 with something different than a 10-gallon tank, but it can be worked through.  Raise the tank temp a degree every hour or two to 82 or 83 degrees. If you have a bio-wheel, or some other biological filter, it's okay to leave that in place.

If there are other fish in the tank, you might want to consider isolating Grim.

Gotta run right now, but will be back later.  Good luck.

Mike

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll start raising the temp. I don't think I have any active carbon in the filter media, the filter media's been in there since I started the tank, and it was my understanding that it only stays active for a few weeks before needing to be changed. I don't see the need to use it, so i haven't changed it. Thanks for all the advice. I'm worried about my little guy. His otto buddy died two days ago, I think there's something going on in there. I hope the maracyn 2 takes care of it.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good luck with Grim's finrot. I'm also sorry to hear of the loss of your Otto cat. I sure hope it wasn't something that Grim can catch. Natalie

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I hope so too, but with Grim coming down with fin rot right after the otto passing, I don't think it's a coincidence .

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry but old carbon or new carbon it has to come out. It is just too iffy and at this point you do not know what effect it will have on the meds. You need to remove it totally. You can get by without it if you need to or just open the back of the cartridge and dump it out and replace the rest of the cartridge. I am so sorry for having you do this but I do not want to take chances with Grim's health and the meds can be diluted.

Both he and you will be in my prayers...it seems that they are getting longer every day

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
don't apologize, thanks for telling me.
Well it turns out that I don't have maracyn 2, I have just Maracyn.
Will that work?
~J~

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh, and I had my hubby drop off the medicine and test kit... my water reading are
Ammonia: 0
Nitirte: 0
Nitrate: between 10 and 20

So I don't know why he got the fin rot
I've got my water temp up to 82.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
What I gather about fin rot is that it's somewhat like a person catching a cold... it HELPS to keep in a warm, clean environment but sometimes it just happens anyway. A good example is that even Rose's betta got fin rot and she probably has the best taken care of fish in the world

So basically you shouldn't beat yourself up over it, the antibiotics will hopefully fix everything
Whitney

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
From much of what I've read, the one thing most suggested as the cause of fin rot is stress.  The fish can typically ward off fin rot, or so they say, through it's immune system responses.  When stressed, the fish's immune system goes on strike, which gives the fin rot an advantage.  That is the theory I've seen most, anyway.

As far as the Maracyn and how well it works with fin rot, idk.  Warming the tank to 82 degrees and keeping the water clean is said to be one way to manage the problem.  WRT the Maracyns, I've tried Maracyn 2, then gone to a combo using Maracyn/Maracyn 2.  I've not tried Maracyn alone.

Mike

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
He's prolly sad the otto died.. though he may be the reason the otto died! (he'd been chasing him a little more than usual) I'll try a round of Maracyn, clean warm water, and talk therapy. Hopefully that will get me to next monday which is pay day. If he gets notably worse, I'll trot down to petsmart and get the maracyn 2 before monday.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are many members that I would seriously take my hat off to for their care of their friends.  I would not say I come even close to having the best cared for fish, they do get good care but there are some who put me to shame.  I do my weekly (or occasionally more often) water changes of 50% and give them vitamins and do gravel care and check everyone out at least a couple times a day and make sure that they eat well, but I really think that is just basic.

The finrot has become epidemic lately and I truly do not know what to recommend to those who have tried all the basics and are still having trouble.  It is heartbreaking to me to have these little ones sick.  The only real plus to the situation is that the vast majority of the ones who are sick now are not even aware that they are ill.  They are still eating, swimming and being the little pills that we are used to.  

It is the ones who seem to be exhibiting the symptoms of dropsy and are feeling sick that I truly worry for at this point as they are miserable and that is so hard to take.  

You may all know that I feel sympathy for you as I know you are suffering over the illness of your little ones and I am so sorry that you all are having to go through this.  You are all in my prayers as are your little ones.

Rose
:'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes bettas do suffer from depression and they do recognize when one of their friends die. It is very sad. Perhaps you could try to spend a bit of quality time with him and try to sing to him, that picks my little guys up some. They like lullabys.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
How soon should I be able to tell if the medicine is working? I think he looks worse today, but the meds have only been in since 3:00 p.m. yesterday. ~J~

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
IDK the answer to that question, but I believe it's one of those that starts with "It depends."   With our Betta, the fin rot started Jan. 7 and I just started diluting (from the tank) his fourth round of meds yesterday (Feb. 12).  I plan to wait for a week to see if it's resolved and put him on something else if it hasn't.

There have been at least 3 times we thought the cure had taken hold only to find a few days later that he was still in need of meds.  All I can say is keep the water parameters ideal and keep up with the meds.  If after five days you think the fin rot is worsening, you might want to continue the Maracyn (for another five days) and start him on Maracyn 2.  Though I can't say our Betta's case has been cured from that combo, his typical relapse conditions have not re-appeared as they had with the previous meds used.

Unfortunately, you'll have to be patient as the cure doesn't come quickly and you may have to try a few different meds to get the right thing(s) to work.  Hopefully Grim is still pretty active and eating well.  We've been lucky with that; it seems GB hasn't felt sick at any time during this whole affair.

Mike

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Grim is still active and eating. It's funny b/c ppl talk on here about how picky their betta's are. Grim eats ANYTHING! I had planaria in the tank, he ate them, he eats blood worms, he eats pellets, he eats peas, he tries to jump out of the water and bite my fingers when I open the lid to feed him. I'm fairly certain that if he was big enought, he'd eat me if he could. ~J~

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good, a sense of humor! When you have a sick little betta that is an asset. It is not funny that they are sick but bettas do get depressed and we need to try to keep them feeling like they are not all that sick now. (they may be but they will work harder to get well if they don't know it.) The medication may not give you good signs of working during the time you are using it. Sometimes with finrot, unfortunately, it can take weeks for the healing to begin. The goal is to get it stopped and no more tissue lost. I cannot gaurantee you will see regrowth for a while. If you can get up every day for a week and not see any new fins shredded or thinning or holes or new tears you probably have the bacteria killed but the ideal water conditions and super tank maintenance will have to continue until the regrowth is done. Gosh, why do I always bring such Good News, huh?

Believe me I am right in there with the rest of you. Prayers for all and hopes for better (betta') days ahead.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
well, I'm not to happy with the way his tail is looking. I've never dealt with this before, so it hard to tell if it's getting worse or not. I don't think it's getting worse anymore though. Now, instead of being dark along the edge, it kind of light along the edge. I hope that this is new growth, but I really can't tell. It's alarming how fast he went from being fine to missing a good quarter of his tail!
Hopefully, I have it under control now, if not I'll get some maracyn2 and treat with that. this is the 5th day of treatment, but I think I'm gonna go another round with both meds.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom